NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 858 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ok ok , fair enough. i was dumb enough to ready about someone on reddit say what an amazing film it is, and forgetting for a second that everyone is an idiot and they are always wrong.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Aquaman (2018)

It was OK I guess. It has possibly the most bass drops I've ever heard in a film (note: I've never watched the Transformers movies, I suspect any one of them has more), and 'awesome' was said a few times too many.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i had to rinse out my eyes with something that doesnt suck, so i watched in its entirety

Jeremiah Johnson - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/
1972 epic, telling the story of "Liver' Eatin" Johnson, a 1880s mountain trapper who got caught in a terrible feud with the local Crow indians - and apparently single-handedly massacred a good number of them.
Robert Redford stars.
The film is strongly reminiscent of The Revenant, but in having a simpler story, it accents the main theme, which is loneliness. Johnson for uncertain reasons moves to the mountains, where he meets an old trapper who teaches him the ropes. While this is sort of a "father figure", which strongly empowers Johnson, he makes it quite clear that in the mountain life, everyone is for themselves. Through hardships and strife, Johnson becomes a hardened mountain-man, up to the very point of earning the respect of his enemies.

It's a film from the 70s, so it's obviously made by people who knew how to make a film. It's all shot on location, and while the camera and photography leave to be desired, it's a decent film, if a little limited. Runtime is nearly two full hours.

I'll say .. a 6.5/10. Honest, unassuming, but also not comparable to other Redford films of the era - The Sting, Three Days Of Condor, All The President's Men, A Bridge Too Far ..

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Fukushima 50

8/10

The surprising story of the workers at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility in Japan when the power plant suffered a near total meltdown caused by an earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
The drama is all natural as the explosions of three of the four containment facilities might well cause and if the fourth had burst, well there goes all of Eastern Japan for quite some time.
I enjoyed the window into Japanese culture revealed under the stress of a potential nuclear catastrophe. Japanese relations are very structured and overly polite. It is interesting to see how the cultural norms held up in the face of the strong emotions of fear, anger and frustration. The stresses gave rise to behaviour towards their peers and superiors far beyond everyday norms yet did not break the mold.
Very interesting for the drama of a nuclear meltdown and the reactions of these workers to the life threatening stress.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Finally watched The Wild One (1953) 6.8/10

"Classic" starring Brando. Paulene Kael had a good take. I stopped this midway (it was getting late) and pondered whether to finish it later and did. It certainly has its moments, great moments, but they are few. Naive is an apt word. I mean, this is very dated. A lot of movies from 70 years ago and such are very naive, dense when it comes to understanding the nature of things, and this is one of those. Something I encountered made me think to see this.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Aquaman (2018)

It was OK I guess. It has possibly the most bass drops I've ever heard in a film (note: I've never watched the Transformers movies, I suspect any one of them has more), and 'awesome' was said a few times too many.

Damn bass in this movie blew one of my speakers. Lucky for me it was still under warranty.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Damn bass in this movie blew one of my speakers. Lucky for me it was still under warranty.
I have a 5.1 system in my home theater but haven't used it much. I use Etymotic Research earbuds instead. I pick up on dialog better, major thing there. Plus I don't have to wonder if I'm bugging my neighbors.

Reactions: Captante

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I'm on the third episode of Jessica Jones - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357547/

which means i now feel i know enough to write a review. Please take any eventual "it gets better after 15 hours" and shove it, with extreme prejudice, up your poopchute.

So, premise: i loved Krysten Ritter in her previous role as Chloe in Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1819509/
Aside from the horribad title, this was my favourite show for a long time, both the premise, and the play between the two leads, the best "odd-couple" since The Odd Couple - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065329/
She was fabulously evil but in a dumb, inconsiderate way, and it fit her like a glove.

I don't feel the character of JJ suit her at all. This really throws a spike into any potential goodness the show may have.
Three episodes in, and David Tennant is still practically absent. I don't have great hopes here either, he's a fine actor but i would not trust an american director to know what to do with him - Good Omens was awful. Well, not awful, just mediocre.

Funny thing, Luke Cage as a minor character is better than Luke Cage in the Tv show "Luke Cage".

tentative initial vote of 7/10. My guess is that it will become horribly slow - you can't have 3 seasons of chasing the same bad guy and make it interesting. Didn't work for Elementary, it won't work here.

Reactions: zinfamous

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Your weak amp killed your speaker :colbert:

No, I didn’t have my system set up, and my front speakers were set to full range. My pre/ pro had an update, and it cleared all my settings. My amps are just fine, thank you.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Godzilla vs. Kong (HBOMax) 8/10.
Really? They only used two colors (orange and blue) for the entire movie. And the two of them fighting on an aircraft carrier while all the other warships were sailing within 5 feet of each other was ridiculous.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm on the third episode of Jessica Jones - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357547/

which means i now feel i know enough to write a review. Please take any eventual "it gets better after 15 hours" and shove it, with extreme prejudice, up your poopchute.

So, premise: i loved Krysten Ritter in her previous role as Chloe in Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1819509/
Aside from the horribad title, this was my favourite show for a long time, both the premise, and the play between the two leads, the best "odd-couple" since The Odd Couple - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065329/
She was fabulously evil but in a dumb, inconsiderate way, and it fit her like a glove.

I don't feel the character of JJ suit her at all. This really throws a spike into any potential goodness the show may have.
Three episodes in, and David Tennant is still practically absent. I don't have great hopes here either, he's a fine actor but i would not trust an american director to know what to do with him - Good Omens was awful. Well, not awful, just mediocre.

Funny thing, Luke Cage as a minor character is better than Luke Cage in the Tv show "Luke Cage".

tentative initial vote of 7/10. My guess is that it will become horribly slow - you can't have 3 seasons of chasing the same bad guy and make it interesting. Didn't work for Elementary, it won't work here.

yes yes...I hate to spoil it for you, but it just gets worse. Especially Tenent's character and really, the plot of this show. Jone's "solution" for all of this was obvious within episode 2 or 3, but we needed 12 episodes to get there? It's really bad. The other season(s?) aren't quite as bad, but this one isn't as good as the other Marvel Netflix shows (OK, the yellow hippy punchy guy is really bad. Don't think I ever watched the 2nd season of that). 2nd season of Luke Cage is really good.

I also really liked The Bitch show. It was great. I think maybe 4 people watched it. Ritter is also good in that BB season and that Christine Bell movie...what's it, Veronica Mars? (this plot is ripped from the Natalie Wood case. ...hope that doesn't spoil anything, haha)

I really wanted to like Jessica Jones, but like most of those Netflix Marvel shows, it's just way way way too long for its own good. I also just don't get the "purpose" of Jessica Jones.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Chuck Berry Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll (1987, with Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, many others) 8/10

Keith Richards was a main organizer for a celebration of Berry's 60th birthday. I haven't finished watching the extras, which are plentiful. Gives you incite into a man who was somewhat mysterious (died in 2017). Arguably the chief inventor of RNR. Dylan called him "the Shakespeare of Rock 'N' Roll." He took rhythm and blues to another level. Smart, independent, tough minded, amazingly vibrant at 60. Shows some other sides of the man that are little known and appreciated. Great musicianship, even the rehearsals are fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: deustroop

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Chuck Berry Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll (1987, with Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, many others) 8/10

Keith Richards was a main organizer for a celebration of Berry's 60th birthday. I haven't finished watching the extras, which are plentiful. Gives you incite into a man who was somewhat mysterious (died in 2017). Arguably the chief inventor of RNR. He took rhythm and blues to another level. Smart, independent, tough minded, amazingly vibrant at 60. Shows some other sides of the man that are little known and appreciated. Great musicianship, even the rehearsals are fantastic.
I think that was where Chuck punched Keith in the face, during rehearsals . :)

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Watched first episode of Invincible https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6741278/ . Starts off like the usual superhero flick until it doesn't. One thing I didn't like it was the superheroes were rip-offs to the ones of DC and Marvel comics like Batman, Supernan, The Flash etc.

8 or 9/10. I'm not sure how to rate it.

Edit: Watched some more. A strong 9/10. It's directed more in the style of a film series than a cartoon. If you liked The Boys you'll like this.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think that was where Chuck punched Keith in the face, during rehearsals . :)
Yeah, they didn't show footage of that but I saw Keith explaining it. Jerry Lee Lewis testified similarly. He told the story: Jerry Lee had proclaimed himself "the king of rock and roll," and Chuck protested that he was and convicingly beat up JLL. He said he determined to never argue with Chuck again!

For a more level all things considered take on Chuck, there's the Wikipedia page:

Reactions: stargazr

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Started watching Nomadland last night. Got about 30 minutes in and it was really good, then started getting hot and heavy with my date, the sex was great and she is coming back over tonight, so Nomadland - 12/10 - would recommend.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
A&E Biography: Andre The Giant 9/10

I never watched wrestling once I hit 11 years old or so, but I loved it when I was young kid. Different times back then, and Andre was one of the most interesting wrestlers because of his size. He was just unbelievable and someone I would secretly stay up past my bedtime to watch (with my 9" black and white TV under my bed covers) since the weekday WWF show was late during those days.

Reactions: zinfamous and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A&E Biography: Andre The Giant 9/10

I never watched wrestling once I hit 11 years old or so, but I loved it when I was young kid. Different times back then, and Andre was one of the most interesting wrestlers because of his size. He was just unbelievable and someone I would secretly stay up past my bedtime to watch (with my 9" black and white TV under my bed covers) since the weekday WWF show was late during those days.
I have never been into watching wrestling on TV. I did it, but it was never a favorite, and as I got older it became more and more obvious that they are a fraternity and the "fights" were staged affairs and nobody was supposed to actually get hurt. Just exactly how true that is I can't say but I think it's a fair assessment of wrestling you'll see on TV outside of Greco-Roman, the stuff they do at the Olympics (which certainly IS great, but it's not showmanship like the stuff with the big belts for prizes, etc.).

Now, Andre was evidently a really nice guy (seemed to me), see him in The Princess Bride, a cool movie that's sweet and entertaining and quite rewatchable.

Reactions: UsandThem

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
this is the photo that best explained to me how big the guy was.
CVxYg2drzM44Ox7S5_N-6niADUYZzpcGzBteo0WeFtg.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
yes yes...I hate to spoil it for you, but it just gets worse. Especially Tenent's character and really, the plot of this show. Jone's "solution" for all of this was obvious within episode 2 or 3, but we needed 12 episodes to get there? It's really bad. The other season(s?) aren't quite as bad, but this one isn't as good as the other Marvel Netflix shows (OK, the yellow hippy punchy guy is really bad. Don't think I ever watched the 2nd season of that). 2nd season of Luke Cage is really good.

I also really liked The Bitch show. It was great. I think maybe 4 people watched it. Ritter is also good in that BB season and that Christine Bell movie...what's it, Veronica Mars? (this plot is ripped from the Natalie Wood case. ...hope that doesn't spoil anything, haha)

I really wanted to like Jessica Jones, but like most of those Netflix Marvel shows, it's just way way way too long for its own good. I also just don't get the "purpose" of Jessica Jones.

Though this has nothing to do with the series, this is about David Tennant and it's awesome

EzOIIOxVoAYoE2q.jpg

Reactions: zinfamous
Status
Not open for further replies.