NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 837 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Wilds 8/10 on Amazon. 10 episodes about some females getting stranded on an island. Not the typical type though. The backstories is what I enjoyed about it so much. Often times we make a snap judgement about someone based on look, attitude, etc. In almost every instance in this show they were wrong. We don't know peoples pain, past, etc. Staying mostly out of politics was nice too. Really enjoyed the who, decent acting and a good story. Nobody really famous, which I like. Wife and I burned through it in 3 days. Sequel coming if rating on season 1 are good enough.

I didn't watch this (yet) but I read the description on Amazon and assumed that this was a re-imagining of Lord of the Flies. ...is that accurate?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Been watching the serial " Your Honor" where a judge has to cover up his son''s involvement in the hit and run which killed the son of the local mob boss . Mr Boss is screamingly violent and we are asked to accept he would kill the judge''s son should the Mr Boss ID the son as the one responsible.It all gets very tense and complicated and there's corruption everywhere, the local cops being the NO police department.

Bryan Cranston carries the judge's role very well and if you like his scheming intelligence when at odds with authority you might like this.
7/10

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Check out Death To 2020 with Samuel Jackson, Hugh Grant, Lisa Kudrow and Tracey Ullman . Funniest damn entertainment I've seen in quite a while, a-Netflix production.'Course I like satire when done with wit rather than despair. With the exception of the one foul mouthed, angry female host, spewing out swearing vocabulary instead of actual intelligent comment, the show is a very humorous recap of an otherwise disheartening year.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Been watching the serial " Your Honor" where a judge has to cover up his son''s involvement in the hit and run which killed the son of the local mob boss . Mr Boss is screamingly violent and we are asked to accept he would kill the judge''s son should the Mr Boss ID the son as the one responsible.It all gets very tense and complicated and there's corruption everywhere, the local cops being the NO police department.

Bryan Cranston carries the judge's role very well and if you like his scheming intelligence when at odds with authority you might like this.
7/10
Been watching this too. Premise is great, acting is solid, but somehow I just cant seem to get into it. Part of it, I think, is the the gangster family seems too much of a stereotype.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Mr. Robot - Season 1 - Amazon Prime - Came across this show with no real knowledge about it except it was set in NYC. Saw it mentioned in a NYC subreddit about good tv/movies that use NYC as a backdrop well. It's a very well shot and acted, Rami Malek is the lead and I'm guessing this was his breakout role that landed him Bohemian Rhapsody. I am enjoying the characters, but this is definitely inspired by Fight Club, some may say things as harsh as ripped off from Fight Club. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle. It's well done though so for sure worth a watch. Let's see how season 2 turns out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Check out Death To 2020 with Samuel Jackson, Hugh Grant, Lisa Kudrow and Tracey Ullman . Funniest damn entertainment I've seen in quite a while, a-Netflix production.'Course I like satire when done with wit rather than despair. With the exception of the one foul mouthed, angry female host, spewing out swearing vocabulary instead of actual intelligent comment, the show is a very humorous recap of an otherwise disheartening year.

lolwut

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Like many of the others, American Pie 9 was straight to video and really awful.

Roger Ebert gave the first one a thumbs up, because it was genuinely funny and also did not treat women like meat, which almost every other sex comedy has done.
He didnt like any of the others, citing mostly a lack of originality.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

7/10

The wife likes the show so I've been watching it. I checked out during the first episode where Cranston's judge did the job of the defense attorney and cross examined the lying cop. I also find it drawn out and boring in a lot of scenes. Probably would work better as a movie.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Did any of you bastards watch Miami Vice when it was new?
I saw the occasional rerun during summer but I never got into it.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I must say, Once upon a time in Hollywood was very good (IMO) have re watched multiple times.

Leonardo Dicaprio, Brad Pitt, Kurt russel, Margot Robbie. Many children of known actors. 2019 currently on Starz. Very funny movie. I would give it an 8/10. A must see.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you like dumb fun movies then Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man is easily 10 / 10.
If you dont like dumb fun movies then its a solid 0.

Also I watched Mystery Men when it was new and did not like it. Decided to give it another shot and see if time had softened me or my opinions.
Instead of a 4 / 10 I will now rate it 5 / 10.
Its stupid but also not terribly fun or funny. One of Ben Stillers less impressive efforts and he's had a lot of bad films in his career.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Did any of you bastards watch Miami Vice when it was new?
I saw the occasional rerun during summer but I never got into it.

The original show during the 80's on NBC? Sure. Love it. Still love the soundtrack.

I also watched the movie remake with Fox and Collins and while it was not horrible, it was nothing close to the 80's show. Not even in the ballpark.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The original show during the 80's on NBC? Sure. Love it. Still love the soundtrack.

I also watched the movie remake with Fox and Collins and while it was not horrible, it was nothing close to the 80's show. Not even in the ballpark.
It seems that there is a new 2020 series with Vin Diesel, which explains his comment about the summer. Just seems weird that he would say that without acknowledging the original, which drowns out any mention of the new series on Google.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
It seems that there is a new 2020 series with Vin Diesel, which explains his comment about the summer. Just seems weird that he would say that without acknowledging the original, which drowns out any mention of the new series on Google.

Oh really? Did not know about the 2020 new series w/ FnF guy. Then again, I don't have cable/satellite/pay TV or streaming service at my house. If it is good, I may purchase it and watch it later. Still love the original show of the 80's. Good time then,, so young and carefree.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Oh really? Did not know about the 2020 new series w/ FnF guy. Then again, I don't have cable/satellite/pay TV or streaming service at my house.
I'm partial to the Fatal Farm "Lasagna Cat" version:
...especially their deliberately terrible cover of Phil Collins. ;)

Full version:

The whole thing is a reference to this dumb comic strip:
14eef29b7fefdf3d32f3f66caed326a8.jpg

...hence all the existential "Identity Crisis" (plane name), "Am I a dog?" (neon sign), and "Is that me?" (boat name) stuff.

When these guys want to make fun of a stupid comic strip, they go all out:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For boredom and curiosity I watched a recent rip of Die Hard 2 and it has little differences from earlier versions I've seen. Either that or I'm misremembering.

Towards the end John Amos says "Get this bureaucrat out of Mister McClanes face." But I swear I remember him saying "piece of shit" originally.

Anyway, Die Hard 2 is an 8 / 10.
It has more glaring plot holes and ridiculous stunts than Die Hard. But thats the price you pay when you up the ante. I once heard a director say that a sequel needs to be at least twice as good for audiences to think its any better. For action films it generally means bigger and better. See Also: Terminator 2.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Koyanisqatsi 9/10
Powaqqatsi 8/10

Reggio and Philip Glass (music), no words. Cool stuff for this pandemic world we're in. I have the 3rd film of the trilogy checked out from the library, will see it in the next week or two.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
it's the end of the year and it is the time when we traditionally get things off our chest, and, i confess, i've had this boiling in me for 40 years nearly.

i hate winston.

Winston Zeddmore, played by Ernie Hudson; the "fourth ghostbuster".

You know, the black guy.

No .. not because he's black. But because we've been rooting for these three geniuses/retards who are winging it after having bet a third mortgage on unproven science, we suffer with them, grow with them, get slimed with them, and then Winslow's character introduction is like:

"i heard you need an additional character?"
"ok you're a main character now"

.. and, you know, cynical me has always questioned why they even need him, when you got a solid plotline with peter/ray/egon plus Dana and Louis (rick moranis), and not one, but two villains, Zuul and walter peck (the man with no dick). And, he does almost nothing.

Maybe it's just bad writing. They probably needed a 4rth for the "cross the beams" scene and in a perfect world, they would have introduced him earlier, but my first instinct is that they knew the guy offscreen and they said "hey sure we got a paycheck for you" and wrote him in halfway through filming. .. i mean .. 12yo me thought it was weird. Modern me thinks there's something fishy about the whole thing.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
it's the end of the year and it is the time when we traditionally get things off our chest, and, i confess, i've had this boiling in me for 40 years nearly.

i hate winston.

Winston Zeddmore, played by Ernie Hudson; the "fourth ghostbuster".

You know, the black guy.

No .. not because he's black. But because we've been rooting for these three geniuses/retards who are winging it after having bet a third mortgage on unproven science, we suffer with them, grow with them, get slimed with them, and then Winslow's character introduction is like:

"i heard you need an additional character?"
"ok you're a main character now"

.. and, you know, cynical me has always questioned why they even need him, when you got a solid plotline with peter/ray/egon plus Dana and Louis (rick moranis), and not one, but two villains, Zuul and walter peck (the man with no dick). And, he does almost nothing.

Maybe it's just bad writing. They probably needed a 4rth for the "cross the beams" scene and in a perfect world, they would have introduced him earlier, but my first instinct is that they knew the guy offscreen and they said "hey sure we got a paycheck for you" and wrote him in halfway through filming. .. i mean .. 12yo me thought it was weird. Modern me thinks there's something fishy about the whole thing.
I thought the whole idea is that he was a fish out of water giving them an expositional plot device for the characters to explain things to him/us.

Status
Not open for further replies.