NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 789 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i had the misfortune to watch Never Have I Ever - something something canada.

Netflix show. Dont watch it.

My friend convinced me to watch this saying "i've never laughed so hard in my whole life l0l0l0l" and i tentatively beleived him. And the first episode was actually kinda fun.

High School teenage girl of Indian origin is trying to get a boyfriend and become popular despite being a total nerd. Quirky, unusual characters and a left-field situations. Neatly directed and briskly paced.

And - as Netflix does - that was the first episode. And it then rapidly becomes a family drama / teen angst series with heartbreak, coming outs, cheating, and all that soppy, stupidly romantic shit that every female-led show is cursed with. And yeah, of course, let's not forget racial integration !!

5/10 - not-a-comedy

first episode 7/10

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Disney+ shines with kids related stuff. My kids love it. But I too feel the library is a tad limiting.

This is a problem with all streaming services. Each media company (streaming service) has a limited library of what's available. Even Netflix has had a reduced library. This is why a lot of people will subscribe to a particular service for 2-3 months out of the year, and cycle through different streaming services to catch different shows. While the per month fee is higher, they're only paying 2-3 months rather than a whole year. And they binge on whatever new show they are interested in.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Extraction. Not about dental treatment, as it turns out.

Pretty much the same as all the other tortured-super-warrior-with-a-deathwish-finds-reason-to-engage-in-the-world-again-by-means-of-killing-vast-numbers-of-anonymous-mooks-in-order-to-save-a-likeable-non-European-child movies.
(The other one in the genre being the Jason Stratham one 'Safe' which I also watched on Netflix...but I bet there are others.)

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Is it just me, or is the selection of content on Disney+ really disappointing? So far, I've only watched the Mandalorian on it, and... oh, yeah. That's it. If I didn't get a "free" one year trial of

I haven't experienced it, but I did notice that a whole lot of the shows that I'd be interested in were 'coming in the next year or two'. So far, I figure I might as well wait until a few more marvel shows come out, then subscribe for a month to watch them.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Dark Side Of The Ring 8/10

I've been watching this series since it aired, but the most recent episode was titled "David Schultz & The Slap Heard Around The World". I remember seeing this on the news when I was young. John Stossel really comes across as a lying prick, and pretty much admitted insinuated he faked the symptoms from getting smacked in order to get money/get back at David Schultz. I really came out of this not liking him at all.

I have watched a few episodes of this.Some tragic stories.I watched the boxing ep,funny as fuck.Butterbean hit that guy with a beauty.What a bunch of assholes, from top to bottom.Sorry wrestling fans:p

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I would not have Disney+ if it weren't for my 5 year old. It's great for him but for adults there isn't much on it. The Mandalorian was good but I never would have subscribed to it just to watch that show. Glad I did watch it though.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
The Human Centipede - 6/10. Pretty good, not terrible. Could have had more gore.

The Current War - 7/10. It dragged in places and I wish it had focused more on the technology of the times, but the overall way they told the story was pretty good.

Gretel and Hansel - 8/10. Similar to Human Centipede, it could have had more gore, but it was told very well and had some good scenes. It just felt like it was missing something. Alice Krige was excellent as the witch.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
"The Art of Racing in the Rain."
A sort of generic love/loss/animal story. Tugged at the heartstrings, but couldnt stop thinking "I have seen this before" in a lot of places. Decent acting and Kevin Costner voices the dog. Given the title, I wish they would have actually shown some racing action "in the rain". Rate it 8/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the money pile is estimated to be worth 80 million if its all hundreds. but a more realistic estimate was 22 million by nerds on the internet who did the math.
In all seriousness why didn't Walt ask his corporate friend to dump it in a Swiss bank account? The guy is supposed to be quite smart.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Olympus has Fallen 7/10

Angle has Fallen - 7.5/10 - sequel to Olympus
you missed the one: London has Fallen was before Angel.
and dont bother.
i thought it sucked and as well as Angel has Fallen.

I thought Olympus has Fallen was pretty good.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Ahem.

as we speak (metaphorically) i am watching a film so good, i have to encourage you all to watch it.

The Gentlemen - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/

As you know, Guy Ritchie has been making the same film over and over again for years. He does however, get slightly better at it every time. Sorta.
Anyway, this is - no surprise - a Guy Ritchie film, with Matthew McConaughey, Hugh Grant (lawl), Colin Farrell, and no real lead character. And, it's great. It's good, it's great, it's funny, well written, it's an interesting story, the filming's great, i am gobsmacked at how good this thing it. It's a Guy Ritchie film but without the suck.

Go watch. Nau.

8/10 - good.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Looks like it's available on Roku, Hoopla, and Magnolia Selects (whatever that is).
Yeah my co-worker told me about Just Watch; you type in a movie and it'll tell you where it's streaming or where you can rent it (online). Pretty helpful.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Ozark - Season 3. 9/10.

First, I re-watched seasons 1 & 2 prior to watching season 3. Just so everything's fresh in my mind.

We meet some new friends, and lose some along the way. Lots of twists and turns, culminating in a bang.

Wow. Laura Linney's character is a total cold-hearted diabolical bitch, in the story line with her younger brother Ben.
Jason Bateman's character takes a huge dark turn in regards to Ben.
Seems like's the Byrd's vs the World in any potential season 4.

Here's to hoping for a season 4.

Reactions: Zanovar

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Barry Season 1 - 6/10
Quirky, dark, overly quirky to just be considered quirky. I quite disliked all of the characters except for Noho Hank. It had its moments but not enough of them. Actors playing would be actors.....how novel of a show from Hollywood about Hollywood.

Empire of the Sun - 9/10
Been 20+yrs since I saw this and the cinematography is so ridiculously good. What a great story about War as seen through a childs eyes. Movie could be released today, hasn't aged a bit. Christian Bale gave his best performance at the age of 13.
Many parallels with Bridge On the River Kwai.

Stan & Ollie - 8/10
Acting was superb by Steve Coogan & John C Reilly. Interesting story about their final tour in Europe and you really could feel the magic the two had together. Their wives certainly did keep things interesting and was a fun parallel of personalities.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Ahem.

as we speak (metaphorically) i am watching a film so good, i have to encourage you all to watch it.

The Gentlemen - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/

As you know, Guy Ritchie has been making the same film over and over again for years. He does however, get slightly better at it every time. Sorta.
Anyway, this is - no surprise - a Guy Ritchie film, with Matthew McConaughey, Hugh Grant (lawl), Colin Farrell, and no real lead character. And, it's great. It's good, it's great, it's funny, well written, it's an interesting story, the filming's great, i am gobsmacked at how good this thing it. It's a Guy Ritchie film but without the suck.

Go watch. Nau.

8/10 - good.
watched it.
the beginning was kinda slow, boring, and confusing.
also, you're trying to blackmail someone and you want him to cook you steaks?
i almost turned it off.

but the last 1/3 made up for it.

Last edited:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Creature or The Titan Find 5/10
This is a B movie Alien rip off from 1985. It isn't good but they did a lot smartly with what they had to work with. I'm probably rating it a bit high just because of nostalgia. Has a pretty good head explosion in it. It was on Tubi.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Into The Night from Netflix is a super cheesy Sci-Fi drama about an airplane filled with ethnic stereotypes that somehow survives the end of the world.

I'd give it a 6/10. I'd only recommend it if you're like me and have run out of other things to watch.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Marilyn Monroe documentary. 9/10

What a sad life. She wasn't taken seriously. Had drug and alcohol issues. Had some very bad trust issues with men. I don't know if I buy that she was murdered by the Kennedys. I think that she was incredibly lonely, sad, and wanted to get back at people by engaging in a suicide attempt. Sadly, it backfired. Still, how was she able to swallow 40 pills without water? There wasn't a water glass by her bed. Did the maid move her items before she called Marilyn's psychiatrist? Anyway, what a sad and tragic short life.

Status
Not open for further replies.