NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(Fincher, 2011) - 6.5/10:
I gave the original an 8.5. I'm finding it hard to fairly judge this one on its own, but I didn't think it was very good. Being a rather complex story, already knowing all the details made it very boring. It's one thing going from the book to the movie, but from movie to movie is redundant. And even though people were quick to specify that this was not a "remake", it was still the same material done very similarly.

My main gripe was the dialogue was often corny and the acting sometimes went ham. The fake-half accents probably didn't help. I didn't like Fincher's work here either. It seemed like there was a fair amount of CGI scenes that just weren't necessary. The original did a great job of setting the scene with some great outdoor shots and it really made you feel what the characters were going through. Daniel Craig inside his cottage acting cold didn't really do the same thing. I didn't feel any of the tension of the first film, but maybe because I knew what was coming, I can't be sure.

Fortunately, we do get a gratuitously naked Rooney Mara(who plays the role well, probably no better or worse than the original. She did have that material to work off of, though)

If you've seen the original I think this is an easy pass. I'm not sure if I would have liked it if this was the first version I saw.

I liked both the original and the new version. I probably liked the new version just a little bit more because for me it captured more the atmosphere that I imagined when I read the books.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
13 Assassins

7/10. Great action movie that gets just a little unbelievable towards the end. This movie has way more butt-kick than most.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
The Art of Flight - 10/10 and I'm not kidding about that.

The art of flight is a Snowboarding movie (think warren miller) that is prob better then anything WM has put out, Similar concept many different locations pseudo documentary style. The main point however is the snowboarding and the locations they are at.

the ranking of 10/10 has less to do with the content and nearly everything to do with the audio and video, i can honestly say it is hands down the best looking non animated film i have ever seen. there is no CGI, its simply the world in amazing high def, colors are amazing contrast is spot on, no digital bullshit processing.

The audio if you have a decent 5.1 or 7.1 setup with a sub will blow you away, great LFE, music and natural sounds are amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh29_SERH0Y

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Art of Flight - 10/10 and I'm not kidding about that.

The art of flight is a Snowboarding movie (think warren miller) that is prob better then anything WM has put out, Similar concept many different locations pseudo documentary style. The main point however is the snowboarding and the locations they are at.

the ranking of 10/10 has less to do with the content and nearly everything to do with the audio and video, i can honestly say it is hands down the best looking non animated film i have ever seen. there is no CGI, its simply the world in amazing high def, colors are amazing contrast is spot on, no digital bullshit processing.

The audio if you have a decent 5.1 or 7.1 setup with a sub will blow you away, great LFE, music and natural sounds are amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh29_SERH0Y

Sounds cool. I've never really watched any of these types of movies, but I love a good skateboarding compilation, so I imagine I could enjoy the snowboarding ones too.

Has anyone watched the BBC show Jekyll?

Not me; know nothing about it. You going to watch it on Netflix? Let me know if it's any good.

Season 2 of Sherlock showed up at my house today though, so excited for that one!

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've watched the first two episodes of Season 1, liked it very much... very entertaining.

Yeah I found it very entertaining myself. Each episode is like a mini-movie!

Should be interesting to see how the American remake goes with Lucy Liu as Watson. :hmm:

KT

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Felidae - 3/10

Animated feline murder mystery with copious gore and little interest, and a ridiculous
OMG NAZI
twist at the end. 2 points for the sex scene.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Hunger Games - 1/10: I should say this movie is probably not meant for me; it is meant for those who read and loved the books. That said, wow, what a piece of shit this was and it's a complete failure as a film for those of us who have not read the books. It is completely humourless, which would be fine if the drama had any sort of impact, but it doesn't and if you are going give this pseudo-Running Man/Fifth Element style to the world and the games, how do you not have anything to lighten things up? I suppose Banks and Tucci were supposed to do that, but their characters were flat and irrelevant (just like everyone else in the film) and I think a lot of it has to do with the horrible script containing completely flat, bland dialogue that has all been spoken before in films far better than this.

Lawrence is a dial tone, but again I'm not sure I can blame her considering the character she is given; there is nothing to the character and how I am supposed to be rooting for her is beyond me as there is absolute no impetus to do so! There is nothing interesting about her and the sudden character shifts make no sense (again, like so many other things in the film). There are elements introduced as if they are the most important thing to the story, then they are almost entirely abandoned later on for no reason and this is in a painfully long 2.5 hour movie; what a freaking waste of all that time! Oh and for an $80 million film with a pretty inexpensive cast, this movie looks terrible; the CGI is awful and it looks drab, even in the areas that are supposed to be fanciful and impressive.

How this piece of shit is over 80% in Rotten Tomatoes is absolutely dumbfounding; I can only assume the majority have reviewers have read the novels and therefore have some sort of inherent attachment to the material, but that does not make a good film! A films is an absolute failure if you need to read hundreds of pages of prose beforehand to get something out of it and that appears to be the case with Hunger Games. Complete waste of time.

Battle Royale (Special Edition/Director's Cut) - 8/10: I just had to re-watch this and The Running Man after being tortured by The Hunger Games and while this film is likely a bit overrated now, it is so much more fun and interesting than what was presented in that other film, so much of it obviously taken from here. This is the first time I have seen the special edition version of the film and while I'm not sure I could differentiate the eight minutes of additions here, there is apparently far more gore and and some extra shots of characters killed so we can see who is who, which I think worked for me since there are so many characters to keep track of. Anyway, it's over the top with it's political themes and it's gore, but it's a lot of fun and moves at a great clip. Still good times twelve years later.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It's weird, I am generally not angered by a shitty movie, but this one pissed me off for some reason. Honestly the more good reviews I hear and particularly the ones from people who have not read the books, it actually pisses me off. I just don't see how anyone without a pre-existing attachment to the material, can think this is a good movie, It is objectively bad as far as I am concerned.

KT

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Yeah i couldn't figure out why all the hype, so i went to see it yesterday.

Really not a great movie, realistically it's a 6-7/10 movie.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Anyone see anything(or anyone) that shouldn't belong in this photo? Neither do I

tim-burton-johnny-depp-dark-shadows.jpg

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
:wub:KT, I hope your Shia hate doesn't kill this one for you

New Look At Tom Hardy & Shia LaBeouf In John Hillcoat’s ‘Lawless’

Scanned from the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, this image of Tom Hardy and Shia LaBeouf has arrived online from John Hillcoat’s (The Road, The Proposition) upcoming prohibition crime-drama ‘Lawless.’ This film is without a doubt one of my anticipated films of 2012, it features a powerhouse cast in Hardy, LaBeouf, Jason Clarke, Mia Wasikowska, Jessica Chastain, Guy Pearce, Dane DeHaan and Gary Oldman. Adapted from Matt Bondurant’s novel ‘The Wettest County in the World: A Novel Based on a True Story,’ ‘Lawless’ formerly went under the title ‘The Wettest County.’ The story follows two brothers (played by LaBeouf and Hardy) who become bootleggers in the South during Prohibition. The screenplay for the film is penned by frequent Hillcoat collaborator Nick Cave – who‘s also on soundtrack duty. Look out for ‘Lawless’ August 31st. Below is a brief synopsis of the novel. Source: ThePlaylist.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Hunger Games: 7/10 - Didn't read the book and my wife asked me to go. While it was a good sci-fi flick, that's all it was. I don't know why millions of people are into this - there's no special reason for it. And... I can't believe I paid $5.50 for popcorn.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I don't understand why people like The Running Man so much. I remember watching it in the theater and thinking it was ok but there's no way I could watch it now and enjoy it. Battle Royale is decent but I really think both of these films are getting talked back up again almost as if to say "Ha, Hunger Games? I saw the original in these two other movies!". It happens every time something popular comes out.

Still haven't seen Hunger Games. Hoping to see it on Friday just so I can see if they captured the book well enough with a PG-13 rating or if I'm going to be disappointed.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
John Carter - 7/10

Went to the movies for the first time since Thor was out in the theaters!

We intended to see The Hunger Games but greatly underestimated how popular this was going to be.

Being that we were "on the clock" with a baby sitter already watching our son, we decided the only other thing we'd even consider watching was John Carter but none of us were all that excited about it.

Thankfully it was so talked down and with so many articles about how much of a flop it was that I had very low expecations and was therefor pleasently surprised with it.

Over all it was a entertaining movie.

This movie is a failure due to the marketing and NOT the movie itself IMO. Disney truly failed at throwing their said $100 million at it as none of the previews did justice to what it was really about or gave much desire to go see it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Adventures of Tin Tin - 7/10 - Animation was great but story was a bit lacking. I thought it was going to be funnier than it was too.

Blitz - 7/10

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Hunger Games - 5.5/10: The Running Man meets Twilight, except Running Man was better because of Arnold > teenage kids. Shaky cam, unrealistic (wasp scene) inconsistencies, and bad sappy teenage love crap + subpar acting by everyone but the main character. The plot was very predictable and I felt the foreshadowing was dumbed down and sappiness amped up for the masses. Other recent movies have done this (add sappiness and predictability) but dialed down a bit more, such as Moneyball. Maybe I'm just biased because teen romance sappiness is the worst kind in my book.

Also, it was probably hyped up so much b/c of the book (didn't read it but heard it was good), and the fact that "omg kids are killing other kids" vs say, Arnold killing other men. I'm sure that when they Twilight-tize other ideas like Terminator (teen robots sent from the future can become human if they choose love over killing) or Rambo (teen commandos come across other teens in a Chinese sweatshop and are faced with a dilemma), they will make just as much money as long as there's a book involved first. It's just the world we live in now, there are 22 million more 0-24 year olds vs 25-44 (2010 Census) so get used to this trend. Yet I digress.

21 Jump Street - 8/10: Juvenile humor mixed with more adult humor which turned out to be pretty funny. This one will depend on your sense of humor. I thought Jonah did a great job and really made this flick, so if you like him then this is must see. Had me laughing for half of it, and the end scene was just hilarious. Turned out to be better than the trailer.

Chronicle - 7.5/10: Rehashed plot of high schoolers with super powers, as well as "found footage" from a documentary but the special effects were exceptional for the film's low budget (12 mil). There is some shaky cam in it but not as bad as Hunger Games. If you like super hero movies in general you'll probably like this, although I felt they could have done more with it. For example, the black kid should have played football which would have been great to see him use his telekinesis. Overall, a dark flick that explored the age old concept of how a broken home can drive someone to be evil and have the power to lash back.

Pitch Black - 6/10: On Netflix. While I really enjoy a good sci fi flick, this didn't quite cut it for me. It started out pretty good but toward the last 1/3, there was too much inconsistency on the monsters' part. For example, one minute they're surrounded, and the next the monsters are scared of the light and there are none to be found. Which is it? Also, the poor planning made me slightly laugh... if you knew that a solar eclipse was coming, there'd be a lot more urgency than these guys showed.

Knight Rider - 9/10: On Netflix. First bunch of episodes were awesome, and can't wait to finish it up. Really brought me back to childhood, and of course it was THE HOFF.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
:wub:KT, I hope your Shia hate doesn't kill this one for you

New Look At Tom Hardy & Shia LaBeouf In John Hillcoat’s ‘Lawless’

Scanned from the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, this image of Tom Hardy and Shia LaBeouf has arrived online from John Hillcoat’s (The Road, The Proposition) upcoming prohibition crime-drama ‘Lawless.’ This film is without a doubt one of my anticipated films of 2012, it features a powerhouse cast in Hardy, LaBeouf, Jason Clarke, Mia Wasikowska, Jessica Chastain, Guy Pearce, Dane DeHaan and Gary Oldman. Adapted from Matt Bondurant’s novel ‘The Wettest County in the World: A Novel Based on a True Story,’ ‘Lawless’ formerly went under the title ‘The Wettest County.’ The story follows two brothers (played by LaBeouf and Hardy) who become bootleggers in the South during Prohibition. The screenplay for the film is penned by frequent Hillcoat collaborator Nick Cave – who‘s also on soundtrack duty. Look out for ‘Lawless’ August 31st. Below is a brief synopsis of the novel. Source: ThePlaylist.

D: Ugh, yeah I was so disappointed when I heard he was cast, but I'll tough through it considering everything else surrounding him should be awesome. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't ruin it!

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.