NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Revenge of the Electric Car - 8/10

If you are interested in the way business of making cars work.. this documentary is for you. I am always more interested in what is happening behind the scenes than the product itself, and this documentary delivered a lot of it. This is one of the very few good documentary on the car market and how the perception is changing among everyone.

i still have to watch that, but the original was kinda not all that honest:p

volt sales are kind of shitty...the folks that claimed they would pull out their wallets...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
West Side story 9/10, old story but figured I'd watch it again since its been so wrong I don't remember much from it. most of the songs are still good, you just have to accept the campiness of gang members singing and dancing lol:) and of course the "dark" makeup is just weird...but all the weirdness gets a pass because its from another time.

I did notice something I didn't before though...
west.side.story.found.asian.girl.jpg

west.side.story.asian.lol.jpg

theres an asian cast member...

This is only one of two musicals I like (the other being Grease). I picked up the 50th anniversary Blu-ray, but have not had a chance to watch it yet. Did you see I on Blu? If so, how did it look?

KT

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
This is only one of two musicals I like (the other being Grease). I picked up the 50th anniversary Blu-ray, but have not had a chance to watch it yet. Did you see I on Blu? If so, how did it look?

KT

those are screen caps;)

there are people bitching about a faulty into fade in or something, but i don't really care:p

i prefer my fair lady anyways;) more rewatchable because its funny

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead - 3/10
Making a movie out of this would be hard, and my expectations were more than met.

Army of Shadows - 9/10
Le Cercle Rouge has been waiting for me to watch it, but I'm not sure I would have found this one. Aside from wondering why it's not more known about and talked about, I can't add much to what's been mentioned already.

Carol's Journey - 8/10
This is one of those movies that kept popping up on related/recommended lists all the time, so I gave it a go. It's a mix of war drama set in the Spanish civil war, but far from the front lines, intertwined with the regular coming of age formula. If you don't fairly quickly connect with some of the characters, I could see not liking it, and I expect that's where the bad ratings mostly come from. As a bit of a mischievous stubborn smartass when I was a boy, and a sucker for coming of age movies that don't go to melodramatic extremes, I got dragged in by this one rather easily.

Sliders, Season 1 - 7/10
It holds up surprisingly well, and almost rekindled the huge crush I had on Sabrina Lloyd (Wade Wells) when it was new.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Army of Shadows - 9/10
Le Cercle Rouge has been waiting for me to watch it, but I'm not sure I would have found this one. Aside from wondering why it's not more known about and talked about, I can't add much to what's been mentioned already.

:thumbsup:

Carol's Journey - 8/10
This is one of those movies that kept popping up on related/recommended lists all the time, so I gave it a go. It's a mix of war drama set in the Spanish civil war, but far from the front lines, intertwined with the regular coming of age formula. If you don't fairly quickly connect with some of the characters, I could see not liking it, and I expect that's where the bad ratings mostly come from. As a bit of a mischievous stubborn smartass when I was a boy, and a sucker for coming of age movies that don't go to melodramatic extremes, I got dragged in by this one rather easily.

Netflix doesn't think I'll like it too much, but sounds interesting :hmm:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
My Week With Marilyn - 6.5/10: A great cast, highlighted by Michelle Williams and Kenneth Branagh, who were both fantastic, are by far the best thing about this film and they make the film worth watching. The surrounding film itself is rather mundane, with a few interesting sequences, but overall lacking any of the compunction I would have expected from the tenuous relationship between Olivier and Monroe; we essentially just watch a young guy puppy-dog around Marilyn until she decides to discard him. She really is an annoying character, but Williams does a great job with her and makes you want to watch her. I also loved Judi Dench's character, but she disappears after the first 10 or so minutes of the film, which was disappointing. Worth a watch for some good acting, but that's about it. As an aside, the film Monroe and Olivier were actually making here looked absolutely awful.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sliders, Season 1 - 7/10
It holds up surprisingly well, and almost rekindled the huge crush I had on Sabrina Lloyd (Wade Wells) when it was new.

Sliders!! I have not seen this show since it was on TV. Wonder if it's available up here... :hmm:

KT

May 13, 2009
Into the Wild 10/10

Awesome movie that'll take you through every emotion known to man.

Anyone else seen it? Your thoughts?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Into the Wild 10/10

Awesome movie that'll take you through every emotion known to man.

Anyone else seen it? Your thoughts?

It was good, but I hated the main character (I actually detest Emile Hirsch in general) a lot. It was an interesting story, but about half way through the film I wanted him to go away.

KT

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Hugo - 5/10
It started slowly... very slowly. After an hour, I was scratching my head and I almost turned it off to watch something else. It did pick up the pace somewhat before the end. Still, I felt like it lost track of the original plot halfway through - it completely shifted from
Hugo looking for clues about his dad and the automaton
to
being entirely centered on Georges' past
. At some point, Hugo ceased being the protagonist and was just a minor side character. It seemed like a lot of it was simply pandering to the film buffs that make up the Academy Award voters and movie critics in general.

I wouldn't say it's a bad movie. It had its moments. But it wasn't very good overall.

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Hugo - 5/10
It started slowly... very slowly. After an hour, I was scratching my head and I almost turned it off to watch something else. It did pick up the pace somewhat before the end. Still, I felt like it lost track of the original plot halfway through - it completely shifted from
Hugo looking for clues about his dad and the automaton
to
being entirely centered on Georges' past
. At some point, Hugo ceased being the protagonist and was just a minor side character. It seemed like a lot of it was simply pandering to the film buffs that make up the Academy Award voters and movie critics in general.

I wouldn't say it's a bad movie. It had its moments. But it wasn't very good overall.

My problem with Hugo:

1. OMG there's a great mystery surrounding the shop owner. It seems very disturbing and complex, just what happened??? Oh, just war happened and he went out of biz? That's it?

2. There may be a secret msg from my dad with this automatron! Oh, the shop owner made it. So.... dad did nothing in this story but dying.

So much promise to have a deep engaging plot, then was let down.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I also saw Hugo recently and wasn't that impressed by it. I'm not sure why it got such awesome reviews. It wasn't a "bad" movie, so to speak, but there was nothing particularly charming, or compelling about it, I don't think.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
In Time - 5/10

Was pretty "meh" overall. So many gaping holes and just lame aspects but if I look at it as just turning off my brain and watching stuff move on the screen it was "ok".

darom

Dec 3, 2002
Army of Shadows - 9/10

I started watching it last week and had to pause on Netflix to run some errands. Decided to finish watching it yesterday to find out that it was no longer available. The movie is only for DVD subscribers! That was quick. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.