NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 657 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I usually love dumb action movies as long as the action can do enough to overcome everything else. I was so bored with this movie I turned it off halfway through. Story is bad, acting is bad, dialog is bad, and unfortunately for me, action was bad as well.
I agree with everything but the action part. I guess giant robots just isn’t everyone’s thing but did you not even like the part in my spoiler?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Missed out on my RPO screener as they were all gone 45 minutes after the email, but did just score seats to Rampage.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
LOST is squarely in the reward view mirror now (where it probably belongs) but it's still fun to rewatch some of it from time to time.

Everybody seems to have the same recollection: A few good seasons followed by a few average ones followed by a bad one.

How can people so easily forget the awfulness that was the beginning of season 2? That show was turning into an absolute mess with no idea of where to go or what to do, tinged with silly religious subtexts and marred by pointless episodes. I don't think it would have made a third season without Henry/Benjamin joining the cast.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6433844/

I've been watching Fallet on Netflix. I also learned all these nordic cop shows have spawned a genre, "Nordic Noir"

Fallet is a comedic version. Not exactly parody, as the crime is still there and they do spend some time seriously investigating, but it has an equal measure of inept cops and humor.

Not the greatest show but it's fun, I like it. Easy 27 minute episodes.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
A Quiet Place - 9/10 - Just came back from a matinee - I never give 10s as it sort of loses its meaning, but I saw nearly nothing wrong with this movie. There was maybe 1 detail about the nail, but it wasn't important enough to be a factor. The fact that you had to listen and stay quiet yourself in this movie made it that much more enveloping. Acting was great all around, including the kid actors who had pretty significant roles. The aliens were superbly done and you get a great look at them too. The pace was also pretty good - shorter movies get you more meaningful scenes. All in all, a great thriller and worth all of my $5 (thx TMobile Tuesdays for the deal). Probably the only movie I'll go to in a theater all year.

P.S.: John Krasinski, who also wrote/directed this, is my new favorite male actor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbleawsome

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Terror 6, 7, 8, 9

i got 1 more to watch tonight. I like how the show manages to keep a decent pacing //MOSTLY// without veering off too much towards inconsequential characters, even though .. well, no spoilers i guess.
I like the captain but i cannot avoid thinking that Jared Harris is trying his best Brendan Gleeson impersonation. just about every time he speaks.

i really hope there is some sort of conclusion ... anything, really. don't leave me hanging.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6433844/

I've been watching Fallet on Netflix. I also learned all these nordic cop shows have spawned a genre, "Nordic Noir"

Fallet is a comedic version. Not exactly parody, as the crime is still there and they do spend some time seriously investigating, but it has an equal measure of inept cops and humor.

Not the greatest show but it's fun, I like it. Easy 27 minute episodes.

I just finished this and definitely recommend it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Terror - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2708480/

finished the last episode just this morning, which has concluded the series. SPOILERS BELOW

I was hoping for something greater, but i am satisfied. The series could have used a change of pacing, dedicating more importance to some plot developments rather than other, and the main challenge was not highlighted as the plot, but rather as the framing device - i.e. "while our heroes are stuck in the artic, they face off a mysterious beast" it should have been "our heroes are stuck in the artic, and must return home, all the while facing off a mysterious beast". Subtle differences, but which would have made the show great rather than just enjoyable.

Also, strange decision on the visual design of the beast. And i feel they have gone too quickly from "crew feeling well" to "complete psychotic breakdown", and the deterioration of their health is actually a major plot point and could have been milked more, and better.

The sets on the ice were horrid. At no time i thought they were actually on ice, but rather next to some weird balls of polystyrene or whatnot. Also the EP could have looked into what artic wind looks like.
The interior sets were on point, as were the costumes. The Inuit costumes were likely actual Inuit clothing, or otherwise they are the best film costumes i've ever seen.

all in all not a waste of time and a rather enjoyable series.

7/10 - next time just hire Brendan Gleeson

Last edited:
Reactions: Thebobo

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Peaky Blinders season 4 - I'm only 2 episodes in but holy crap this show only gets better. Adrian Brody is absolutely amazing. This may be TV's best show ever. I've even compared it to Breaking Bad. If only I could understand more of what was being said (some of the thick accents are impossible)

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Closed captions FTW.

*subtitles

which reminds me of something annoying about Netflix, that this series I was watching, Fallet, only has combined subtitles and closed captions, which means there is text that tells you about certain sounds/music, and other cues like that. I just want subs!

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Den of Thieves - 6.5
I enjoyed it. Plays homage to many of the earlier heist movies, particularly Heat. I do feel the final heist was too complicated to where many things were purposely overlooked or contrived so that it will work. With Heat it's more believable cause it's just a bunch of guys with heavy firepower robbing a bank. The shootouts were also very Heat-like, tense and very gripping.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Lost in Space - 6 to 8/10 on netflix

Season 1, 10 part series started out a little slow but by the 3rd episode it started to get more interesting. The last 2-3 were the best. They went over bit on the "we are family" and the poor father that can never do good routine. They'll have to be another season as in the end that's when it all gets started. ;)

And what happened to whatever Alien thing was attached to the bottom of the river in the last episode?

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Wow....

Just watched Arrival. Preliminary score here of 10/10. To be clear, to be 10/10 doesn't mean it's the single best movie or that it's perfect, it just means it was fantastic and had something really special. This movie had that. I don't even know what to say about it but I need to find more movies like this.

EDIT: What do you know, same director as Blade Runner 2049. I like this guy's style. Guess I'll watch Prisoners next.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Every time "The Terror" is mentioned here, am I the only one who keeps thinking of the newer 'The Tick' series?

Reactions: JEDI

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
You Were Never Really Here - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5742374/

i was initially intrigued by the trailer.
and i thought, this film is going to be badass.

turns out, the film is 90% the main character being very dark and brooding. it's taking this style of film and turning the intensity up to over 100, which ruins any semblance of pacing. it's a constant switch between depressed/murderous/depressed/murderous/depressed/murderous/depressed/murderous/ etc..

i never got into it, it never got good, and by middle of the film it got to be slow and boring. think the matrix, but it's two hours of the morpheus fight. it doesn't even come across as intense, after a while.

would not recommend. and the story isn't anything you haven't seen before.

6/10

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I just watched a documentary titled "Hired Gun". It's about session musicians and guys who are part of a band (like playing for Billy Joel or Alice Cooper) without being official members of the band. If you're into music well worth watching, it's got a lot of interesting stories about the lives some of these guys leads and how tough it can be not having a regular gig knowing that the headliner can replace you on a whim.

The part that really stood out for me is that the headliner will often write the outlines of a song, create the framework and allow his backup band to really tweak and invent the guitar and drum and bass riffs that become famous. Then the headliner can kick out the backup players, own everything and hire new guys to play those parts.

7/10 if you're a music fan.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 8/10 - Out on Amazon Prime

I've commented on this movie positively in here and other threads but bought this up here again because it's out now on Amazon Prime (for free of course.) If you have prime, turn on the big screen, crank up the audio and check it out. Its a fun movie.

There is also talk of Benson doing a sequel unfortunately it might be with Netflix.

Nov 29, 2006
Peaky Blinders season 4 - I'm only 2 episodes in but holy crap this show only gets better. Adrian Brody is absolutely amazing. This may be TV's best show ever. I've even compared it to Breaking Bad. If only I could understand more of what was being said (some of the thick accents are impossible)

Yeah i think this is one oh my top 5 shows ever also. Especially the first 2 seasons. I like Adrian Brody in general as an actor but i felt his italian mobster performance was almost too cliche. I mean he did it well, but i guess i was hoping for something a bit more original on that front.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah i think this is one oh my top 5 shows ever also. Especially the first 2 seasons. I like Adrian Brody in general as an actor but i felt his italian mobster performance was almost too cliche. I mean he did it well, but i guess i was hoping for something a bit more original on that front.

I've tried watching it twice go up to 2/3 first time and this time 1/3 of the first episode.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Bosch Season 4 6/10.

Just binged watched this and i thought it was the weakest of the 4 seasons.I have read the books and i cant remember lots of this happening in Angels Flight,i might reread them all again.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 8/10 -

i thought it was rather on the meh side, some nice things offset by that horrid shoehorn rhianna.

but i'm ok if you like it, i can see the appeal. What you likely do not know, is that Valerian & Laureline is an excellent series of .. let's call them graphic novels. Books. Books with drawings in them.

The European way has always been to write an entire book-sized novel, and then to serialize it. As opposite of, say, Marvel, where they draw one issue at the time.

You can find them on Amazon, for cheap. If you are into Valerian, you gon' into mind-blown.

Reactions: Thebobo

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hostiles 8/10

Slow moving. Minimal dialogue. Minimal story arch.
I loved it.
I'm a sucker for these types of "westerns" though and anything that has Bale or Wes Studi.
While her role is very small, Q'orianka Kilcher is painfully easy on the eyes.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
CHIPS 6.0

Total turn off your brain movie. Don't expect anything resembling a plot. I did chuckle a few times.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Night of the Living Dead - 8/10. Yes, I put off watching this movie for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long. I liked it but I fell asleep towards the end. One of the more believable zombie movies out there, but maybe that's not a surprise considering it was the first.

Ronin - 7/10. What was in the damn case?! o_O

Foxcatcher - 9/10. Still great the second time. Something about it just makes it so easily accessible, maybe the progression and style.

Status
Not open for further replies.