NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 656 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Blade Runner 2049 - 6.5 / 10

For me the "big ideas" were a mix of interesting and not credible, but the story was entertaining. The evil replicant was well-acted, the good replicant was intentionally somewhat wooden, Harrison Ford seemed less bored than in Star Wars. The scenery and tech was well-done.

I didn't buy the main quest at all, that
Wallace couldn't figure out how to make replicants fertile on his own, despite access to human DNA.
but otherwise it was watchable.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Just finished the 1st season of The Last Kingdom on Netflix: 7/10 - Acting is pretty good, scenery is gorgeous. But the last episode ended so terribly. I was completely disappointed in it. They built it up in the previous two episodes, then, it just ended. Blah. I'll start season 2 to see what happens but man.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Wow I have watched a ton of movies recently. This probably isn't all of them, and they're listed from most recent to least recent. Also feel like I've posted some of these before but oh well.
Pacific Rim - 8/10 if you know what it's going for, just 5/10 as a movie. Sure, the characters are very shallow and the plot is kinda dumb, but it's tied for first for my favorite epic moment in an action sort of way.
The scene I'm talking about is when they detonate the payload and the water is blown away, it's tied with the hyperspace kamikaze from The Last Jedi. Both just totally stunned me in the moment.
And all the action is good and well shot. We need more movies with giant robots being cool that aren't transformers.

Justice League - 2/10 I don't know about this one guys. Action was very iffy, plot was dumb, characters were either unlikable or unrecognizable as themselves. Very rushed but also drawn out. One cool scene with Superman. If you want to see superpowered people duke it out just watch Man of Steel, it's way better.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 4/10 Not sure what happened with this one. I loved the first one, but this one just didn't catch me. The characters weren't as lovable, the villain just seemed off, some of the violence was just out of place,extreme, or gross (and that never bothers me), and it lost some of the parody the first one had. I will say, there were two deaths in the movie that actually got to me so credit where credit is due.
Those deaths being Roxy and of course Merlin. I could see Roxy coming back, but I don't think I want Merlin retconned even though I'll miss him a lot
Also didn't really like Eggsy's girlfriend much even though I don't think she's supposed to be disliked. While I was typing this, No Time for Emotion (Take Me Home, Country Roads) started playing on my spotify so that was a punch in the gut.

I.T. (2017) - 7/10 So, it was good. Spooky, made me jump out of my skin a few times, had a truly despicable secondary bad guy, very well established and composed shots, and most of the characters were good. It (haha) just lost out on some monster design, they weren't quite bizarre enough for IT in my opinion, didn't really show up that much, or actually had questionable CGI. That last one could've been down to budget though. Also there were two characters that just kinda put a damper on their scenes, but they could be more book based, I never read it.

Blade Runner 2049 - 10/10 I'm a sucker for cinematography and scifi epics so I'm a bit biased, b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶1̶0̶/̶1̶0̶. Moved it to a 10/10, was 9/10. Unquestionably beautiful throughout, never a shot misplaced or a framing missed. Perfection in details and consistency from start to finish. I would've watched it without a storyline, but luckily the story is good too. As said above the main quest is odd, but I didn't actually view that as the main quest. To me the story was actually entirely about
quantifying sentience and finding one's own path in life, like the first one. The question of K's AI girlfriend possibly acting of free will or at least having real emotions, and then obviously K's own discovery that he isn't who he thinks he is. And then to give his own life anyway.
What a last minute of a movie. Wow.

Baby Driver - 8/10 Swear I've posted about this one before. Oh well. Really good movie, very unique. The end gets chaotic, but everything is justified even if it is in a roundabout way. Also very well shot, but I wouldn't say that's the main attraction. Just a very fun movie to enjoy.

Murder on the Orient Express - 6/10 Odd mystery movie, with a main character that talks funny. Solid if weird ending. Fun to follow along, it just wasn't my kind of movie.

Zootopia - 7/10 Really fun movie. Of course it's very Disney, but I still enjoyed it.

Also watched almost all the Marvel movies again in preparation for Infinity War. Most of them are still just as good.

Also a reminder, Westworld Season 2 starts soon. The first season was an incredible 10/10, and I just watched it again and it is actually incredible how much detail they put into this series. Stuff in the background that you literally will never notice unless you've seen it before, but they put it there anyway. The story is also mind-bending and one of the best in a TV show recently. I'd pay for HBO just for this show.

EDIT: Also add Mindhunters - 8/10 A netflix series about the man who first started looking into the minds of serial killers. End got a little out of wack compared to the rest of the show but it kept me glued to it throughout. Very good show.

Last edited:
Reactions: slayer202

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Colombiana (6/10)

the sequel to Leon the Professional was to be called Mathilda starring an older Natalie Portman working as an cleaner/assassin.
The director of Leon wrote the script already and just needed to wait till Natalie got a few years older. :eek:

but in that time, there was fallout between him and the studio who owned the rights to Leon.
so the director made this movie based on that script.

it's about a little girl who became an assassin when she grew up.
an assassin so good that she can get in and out of impossible places.

and that was the downfall of this movie.
to me, she was an unstoppable assassin that cake walked through everything

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
3rd episode of The Terror, still going well. Really enjoying the show, just always makes me cold watching it. Like Wind River, looks damn freezing. I like movies that are at least based off of real world events, this fits the bill.

The Titan, 7/10 on Netflix. Same guy who turns into a blue man, does the same thing here. Not a spoilers since the previews show it. It is an interesting concept, Earth is dying, cant have more children without a permit, look for somewhere else to live. Brought up some interesting discussion with my wife and I, it is heavily military based. The ending is what I didn't really care for, but may be set up for a sequel. Acting was decent, another notable character was Grey Worms woman from GoT was in it as well. Passed the time, enjoyed it mostly, not that great.

Interesting concept, is what it got me into it, its was a little slow but I managed to make it to the end. I would say 6.5 ish. I cant remember much so I guess that says something about it, other than I liked the concept.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Terror - episodes 3, 4 and 5

excellent as before. For a TV show built on suspense, it manages to keep a good pacing, the characters are interesting, the dialogue is always captivating, the monster is fugly and GCIck, looking forward to watching more of this.

When Harry Met Sally

it's not really been that many years, but have we lost the ability to write films? This delightful little film that we liked as teenagers (when we still thought that "feelings are for girls") is full of dialogue, careful character development, subtle emotions, both from "her" side and from "his" side. When did we go from this to I AM A WARRIOR WITH BIG TITS ! for characterization?

The Great Buddha + (PLUS)

a visually intriguing film that however i had a hard time following and did not watch in full. It's got sex in it so maybe you might like it.

Stardust

finally got around watching this.

The beginning of the film is really sweet and charming, it reminds me of films such as Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, that typical "half grownup, half kid" fantasy film with puppets and dragons and stuff. Then, it goes sideways, adding in a still surprisingly bangable Michelle Pfeiffer, a weirdly miscast Robert DeNiro, in a too actiony, too forcedly weird but-without-Terry-Gilliam's-genius style, and finally ends up with the fable ending.
Too many inconsequential characters are brought in and then killed, and we think "what is the point of this scene?" over and over again. Also some weird plot changes, like, the timid hero up'n' enslaves a girl, a major plot about kingship just disappears, and ... i'm not even sure if that's the main villain, but the main villain just ... dies.
Disappointing.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
When did we go from this to I AM A WARRIOR WITH BIG TITS ! for characterization?

CGI finally got cheap enough that Hollywood no longer needs to fill time with cheap dialog. The next revolution in film making will be when CGI gets good enough that we don't need actors at all. We really are not that far from that. That will finally clear the way to AI being able to create complete films in a few hours. Then we enter the age of bespoke entertainment.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I really gotta watch The Terror.

I did watch The Last OG and thought it was funny. Not great TV by any means but I liked the humor

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Terror manages to please me, and i hate stuff like The Walking Dead. While it might not be SUPER-EXCITING, it's free of any "bad" stuff .. if you get my drift.

Reactions: slayer202

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
CGI finally got cheap enough that Hollywood no longer needs to fill time with cheap dialog. The next revolution in film making will be when CGI gets good enough that we don't need actors at all. We really are not that far from that. That will finally clear the way to AI being able to create complete films in a few hours. Then we enter the age of bespoke entertainment.

cheap? surely rendering the hulk in ragnarock can't have been that cheap ? i'm asking.

also, i really hope we do not get to the point where we have films with CGI actors. Cartoons are ok, CGI monsters are ... tolerable, but all that "uncanny valley" stuff is intolerable.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I really gotta watch The Terror.

Yeah, we've been trying to find a way to watch it, but it seems that neither Amazon has AMC as one of their TV subscriptions, nor does Hulu carry it. AMC is one of the more annoying premium TV channels in this respect--and through their service, only if you have a proper cable service, can you watch it while live; they don't have a proper "archive" iirc.

Have to wait a year for it to be available on Netflix, I guess. ><

Have to agree with purebeast on Thor: Ragnarok. I thought it was fun, I guess, but damn was it entirely pointless in the end, like nearly all of those Marvel flicks. I keep thinking I need to keep up with the story ahead of the Thanos/Infinity War stuff, but really nothing happens in these movies that is all that relevant.

Reminds me of how I made the same damn terrible decision back in ~92 or whenever, during the Infinity War comic book series, when Marvel released something like 55 or more crossover issues with the entire Universe, and being the idiot kid that I was, I checked the box for "All Infinity War crossovers!" on the subscription sheet that I held at my local Comic Book store (yes, this place was owned and operated by the exact real-life version of Comic Book guy from the Simpsons). I ended up with piles of comics that were pointless (each side story added essentially nothing to the internal stories that happened between each Infinity War issue) and that I couldn't afford...and it took my angry dad showing up at the comic store and explaining to them that his stupid kid had no idea what he was doing and that there was no way he was paying for ~60 comic books per month (which was added to my normal, reasonable subscription of ~15 or so that were worth following at the time). :D

(...also, before you nerds try to out-nerd me: yes, it was The Infinity War, with Magus as the primary baddy. The Infinity Gauntlet, a few years earlier, only had something like 10-12 actual crossover issues throughout the run, between Silver Surfer, Dr Strange, and maybe Fantastic Four? For whatever reason, the upcoming film cycle is going with The Infinity War, even though the story is really from the Infinity Gauntlet series--sorta. Thanos was really an ally during The Infinity War! :colbert_nerd: ...let's just ignore the nonsense that was The Infinity Crusade)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
cheap? surely rendering the hulk in ragnarock can't have been that cheap ? i'm asking.

Cheap is a relative term here, we are talking about movies with 100 million dollar budgets after all. The price of CGI has plummeted in the last few decades. We are at the point that CGI is most of the time cheaper than doing a similar practical effect, and I am betting we are near the point where it is cheaper per minute than hiring an A list actor to give dialog.

also, i really hope we do not get to the point where we have films with CGI actors. Cartoons are ok, CGI monsters are ... tolerable, but all that "uncanny valley" stuff is intolerable.

I think we are slowly pushing past the uncanny valley. I think it won't be that much longer before we can have computer generated characters that are indistinguishable from live action.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
That's definitely happening and it will be incredibly interesting. I was reading some poetry written by an AI trained on the writings of the Zodiac serial killer. It wasn't very good but it was very, very weird.

Imagine an AI actor trained on de Niro, pacino and a dozen other classic leads. You'd lose some of the character from the averaging but it could still be fascinating stuff.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
CGI finally got cheap enough that Hollywood no longer needs to fill time with cheap dialog.
The next revolution in film making will be when CGI gets good enough that we don't need actors at all.
Paul in Fast and Furious franchise.
Dead Leia in Episode IX.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

Beawolf back from 2007 was pretty good graphics wise with characters, what's interesting is the characters looked very real on my old 35" tube tv. No so on my large screen.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Beawolf back from 2007 was pretty good graphics wise with characters, what's interesting is the characters looked very real on my old 35" tube tv. No so on my large screen.

I completely forgot about Beowulf. At the time the CGI was awesome, and it was hard to tell that it was fake in some scenes, but it still sort of holds up I guess. I think it was the first 3D IMAX movie I ever saw.

Now that Final Fantasy movie from the early 2000s... :eek:

Reactions: Thebobo

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I completely forgot about Beowulf. At the time the CGI was awesome, and it was hard to tell that it was fake in some scenes, but it still sort of holds up I guess. I think it was the first 3D IMAX movie I ever saw.

Now that Final Fantasy movie from the early 2000s... :eek:

Yea was going to mention FF as well obviously all CGI but well done for the time.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Reminds me of how I made the same damn terrible decision back in ~92 or whenever, during the Infinity War comic book series, when Marvel released something like 55 or more crossover issues with the entire Universe, and being the idiot kid that I was, I checked the box for "All Infinity War crossovers!" on the subscription sheet that I held at my local Comic Book store (yes, this place was owned and operated by the exact real-life version of Comic Book guy from the Simpsons). I ended up with piles of comics that were pointless (each side story added essentially nothing to the internal stories that happened between each Infinity War issue) and that I couldn't afford...and it took my angry dad showing up at the comic store and explaining to them that his stupid kid had no idea what he was doing and that there was no way he was paying for ~60 comic books per month (which was added to my normal, reasonable subscription of ~15 or so that were worth following at the time). :D

(...also, before you nerds try to out-nerd me: yes, it was The Infinity War, with Magus as the primary baddy. The Infinity Gauntlet, a few years earlier, only had something like 10-12 actual crossover issues throughout the run, between Silver Surfer, Dr Strange, and maybe Fantastic Four? For whatever reason, the upcoming film cycle is going with The Infinity War, even though the story is really from the Infinity Gauntlet series--sorta. Thanos was really an ally during The Infinity War! :colbert_nerd: ...let's just ignore the nonsense that was The Infinity Crusade)

Slipcase - 12 volumes - $500 - 4960 pages.

9295225-infinity-gauntlet-box-slipcase-set-hc.jpg

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/25/whats-in-the-500-infinity-gauntlet-slipcase-then/
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/infinity-gauntlet-box-set-slipcase-jim-starlin/1126698519

May 11, 2008
Public enemies 8/10
Movie about John Dillinger and a special task force under Melvin Pervis to catch him. Supervisor of Melvin Pervis was J Edgar Hoover.
Johnny Depp never disappoints.

If i am not mistaken, prior to that time, there was no law to catch criminals that went from state to state ?
Could someone clarify this ? I am not up to date with US history.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Disjointed on netflix 7.5 - 9

Weeds meets Married with Children. Stars Kathy Bates who owns a pot dispensary. Had some hilariously funny moments and some really stupid cliche moments. Two seasons - and is now canceled. Oh well it ended well.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Wow I have watched a ton of movies recently. This probably isn't all of them, and they're listed from most recent to least recent. Also feel like I've posted some of these before but oh well.
Pacific Rim - 8/10 if you know what it's going for, just 5/10 as a movie. Sure, the characters are very shallow and the plot is kinda dumb, but it's tied for first for my favorite epic moment in an action sort of way.
The scene I'm talking about is when they detonate the payload and the water is blown away, it's tied with the hyperspace kamikaze from The Last Jedi. Both just totally stunned me in the moment.
And all the action is good and well shot. We need more movies with giant robots being cool that aren't transformers.

I usually love dumb action movies as long as the action can do enough to overcome everything else. I was so bored with this movie I turned it off halfway through. Story is bad, acting is bad, dialog is bad, and unfortunately for me, action was bad as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.