NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 469 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
mad men is WAY better to watch binge watching than waiting week to week. i liked the show a lot more the first 4 seasons when i could watch them back to back to back and not wait a week. the show is pretty slow so some episodes seem like nothing happens, then waiting a week to watch the next episode to find something barely happens was kind of painful. i definitely enjoyed that show more when i wasn't watching it as it aired. although, i think the earlier seasons in general were more entertaning too.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
ahahaha this confused me until I figured it out....

go watch TRUE DETECTIVE. you're no longer my friend until you do so

Hahaha, ohhhhhh. Now I get it. Totally fair; will get on it post haste!

KT

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Hahaha, ohhhhhh. Now I get it. Totally fair; will get on it post haste!

KT

If you watch True Detective, I be ya bes' frieeeeend.

I haven't watched it myself but the "do this and I be ya bes' frieeeeend" plea was so common when I was a kid.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Started in on Amazon's "Mad Dogs"

Pretty solid thus far with a decent cast of faces that you more or less know but maybe haven't seen in a while.

Ok I'm almost through the series and I feel comfortable giving it a rating.

I will easily give this an 8/10 -- what a great sleeper of a show.**

I really think the cast does an awesome job (Steve Zahn is just hilarious in it) The show is a great mix of (dark) humor, suspense, mystery and "WTF just happened??!" The characters are developed very well I thought and they really sort of make you feel for and understand these guys and where they are coming from. At the end of every episode I can not wait to fire up the next one -- truly a sign of a good show in my book.

** please note I reserve the right to edit my review if the ending sucks, but the trip thus far easily deserves the 8/10 rating.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
mad men is WAY better to watch binge watching than waiting week to week. i liked the show a lot more the first 4 seasons when i could watch them back to back to back and not wait a week. the show is pretty slow so some episodes seem like nothing happens, then waiting a week to watch the next episode to find something barely happens was kind of painful. i definitely enjoyed that show more when i wasn't watching it as it aired. although, i think the earlier seasons in general were more entertaning too.

Yeah I binged until I caught up but when I had to do week by week I ended up losing interest.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Lucifer 6/10
saw the pilot episode.

he quits being the ruler of Hell after billions of years to be the owner of a night club in LA in 2016.

he is not omniscient. his powers seems to be limited to that of just immortality. (wtf?!)
everything else is human like, including great charm and his desire for sex.

and he is not evil. he was sent to rule over Hell by God when he rebelled against him and lost.
-> I like this twist

problems I have w/the show:
1) when the shooter told Lucifer that he shot her for the money, why didn't he ask WHO paid him?
2) if people seem to tell Lucifer the truth when he asks, how did the bad guy lie so easily saying he didn't hire the thug to kill her?

3) for an Archangel, Lucifer doesn't seem to have any super natural powers. meh

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched

Spotlight http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895587/reference

the story of the 2002 boston sex scandal;

Big cast, well acted, and reasonably fast paced. Not the most intriguing story, but then again it follows the real story very accurately, and the real scandal was basically uncovered by finding a bunch of paperwork.

Decent film, 7/10.

and

Turbo Kid http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3672742/reference

after Spotlight, i needed something with a little more Ooomph; essentially another Kung Fury -style film (but full length) , irreverent and chaotic, it's the story of a young kid (Turbo Kid) living in a postapocalyptic Mad Max world.
Unfortunately the pacing is way off, too slow and too pretentious. And damn, Michael Ironside is old.

i would say style over substance, but actually it lacks both.

6/10

i need to get me some nice Denzel Washington film now because i'm hitting a streak of boring crap.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Lucifer 6/10
saw the pilot episode.

he quits being the ruler of Hell after billions of years to be the owner of a night club in LA in 2016.

he is not omniscient. his powers seems to be limited to that of just immortality. (wtf?!)
everything else is human like, including great charm and his desire for sex.

and he is not evil. he was sent to rule over Hell by God when he rebelled against him and lost.
-> I like this twist

problems I have w/the show:
1) when the shooter told Lucifer that he shot her for the money, why didn't he ask WHO paid him?
2) if people seem to tell Lucifer the truth when he asks, how did the bad guy lie so easily saying he didn't hire the thug to kill her?

3) for an Archangel, Lucifer doesn't seem to have any super natural powers. meh
I haven't watched the episode yet, but I see why you were disappointed. Anything titled 'Lucifer' damn well better have some serious supernatural elements. I'm afraid that this is going to go the way of Constantine. That had all the supernatural/paranormal stuff and it still got canceled. So a non-Satan Satan isn't going to cut it.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Straight Outta Compton - 8.5/10

Went in with low expectations, movie was surprising well made.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
House of Lies 8/10 - I like the show, only got to season 3, need to watch season 4. The casting I think was great.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Mad Men is the least binge-able show I've ever seen. Yet somehow my wife manages to do it. She watched a full 1.5 seasons the first DAY we started it. I gave up after 2 episodes that day. 2-3 episodes a WEEK is about all I can manage.

Fantastic show, but I have no idea how anyone could binge it.
Same. I watched it 1-3 episodes at a time, once I started catching up (seasons 1-2 I watched when they aired, then I fell behind). I'd have enough by 2-3 at a stretch, but then in a few days, I'd want a little more...like having an itch to scratch.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'm looking forward to the second half of Suits this season. The whole coverup thing was getting really old and I'm curious to see how they get mike out of this - or even if they do.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Turbo Kid 7.5/10
Made to look like a post apocalyptic b-movie made around 1985 and they pull it off really well IMO. The score, the story, the props, and the effects look just like something that would have came out back then. There isn't an over abundance of gore but when it is there it is gloriously over the top Dead Alive levels of practical effects. It isn't perfect but I really liked it. Netflix streaming.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
after seeing it referenced in the Bill Maher show, i watched

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094834/reference

low budget spoof of "romancing the stone" jungle adventure films, with a anti-feminazi twist. decent dialogue, moderately funny, really awful action scenes. if you enjoy Bill's Real Time you will probably find this film .. amusing.

6.5/10 - yeah why not.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Ok I'm almost through the series and I feel comfortable giving it a rating.

I will easily give this an 8/10 -- what a great sleeper of a show.**

I really think the cast does an awesome job (Steve Zahn is just hilarious in it) The show is a great mix of (dark) humor, suspense, mystery and "WTF just happened??!" The characters are developed very well I thought and they really sort of make you feel for and understand these guys and where they are coming from. At the end of every episode I can not wait to fire up the next one -- truly a sign of a good show in my book.

** please note I reserve the right to edit my review if the ending sucks, but the trip thus far easily deserves the 8/10 rating.

I just finished off the first season of Mad Dogs myself.

I'll give it a 9.3/10 myself, just because I want to. I loved it.

I really got a kick out of it and will be PO'd if there isn't a second season.

Hint, if you have closed captioning on, you pick up a few more clues about things here and there.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i just finished mad dogs too, i'd give it a 7 or 6 out of 10. it was alright but tehre was so much stupid shit in it. like just dumb dialog and things that they do that make no sense. it definitely kept me interested though and i always wanted to see what was next. just an odd show but it was entertaining and all over the place. definitely think the ratings on amazon for it are way over hyping it.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
i just finished mad dogs too, i'd give it a 7 or 6 out of 10. it was alright but tehre was so much stupid shit in it. like just dumb dialog and things that they do that make no sense. it definitely kept me interested though and i always wanted to see what was next. just an odd show but it was entertaining and all over the place. definitely think the ratings on amazon for it are way over hyping it.

To each his own :) I did not find the dialog dumb myself, maybe I'm just dumb.

Any show that keeps me interested enough that I can't wait to see what happens next and delivers or surprises me with many WTF moments, I'm going to give a high score.

Yeah, it's all over the place a lot of the time. For various reasons, the way it is made.

Last edited:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Captain Phillips - 6/10
Could have been a shorter movie - it was a 2 goddamn hour movie.

Focus - 7/10
Plot is shitty, blonde babe makes it bearable.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I made the mistake of blind buying the Dwayne Johnson action movie "San Andreas" as a mindless way to kill some time, but holy crap is this a terrible movie. Action movies in general and disaster movies in particular seem to be green-lighted only if the screenwriters can prove there IQ is below 20. Not even Michael Bay could live with himself after making a movie like this.

Here's the major plot line and weakness of the movie: Dwayne Johnson is a retired military helicopter pilot now working in the LA area as a rescue helicopter pilot. He has family problems (required for a disaster movie) and when the shit hits the fan he abandons his responsibilities to the state and uses the multi million dollar helicopter to rescue his own family in the LA area AND in San Francisco. If anyone working as a rescue pilot abandoned there job, hijacked a much needed rescue helicopter, and did his own thing he'd be arrested.

The only upside is that his daughter is really hot and they managed to find an excuse to display her ample tata's in a water rescue scene -- highlight of the movie.

Brian

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
You mean that Shaloub was stoned through the entire filming, or that the character he played was actually stoned throughout the story, and they just edited out the "getting stoned" and "references-to-being-stoned" scenes?

Because either situation would offer an interesting new perspective on that film. :D

Galaxy Quest is one of those really underrated movies you have to see to appreciate and Shaloub is great in it. It managed to lampoon and revere the Star Trek world at the same time.

Brian

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I made the mistake of blind buying the Dwayne Johnson action movie "San Andreas" as a mindless way to kill some time, but holy crap is this a terrible movie. .....

Brian

I agree, I also felt that about half way though the movie it really just lost it's momentum, the whole ending of the movie seemed extremely cliche.

Status
Not open for further replies.