NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 467 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just started Mad Dogs last night and watched the first 2 episodes. it started out kind of slow/iffy but holy shit, the last 10 minutes of the pilot completely draw you into it. i'll definitely be watching all 10 episodes.

the only thing i do not like about the show is that it has the soap opera effect on the show. i really REALLY dislike that the style is just built into the show, unless there is some setting on prime that i don't know about or something.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The Fall -- 9/10
S1 & S2 on Netflix. Just completed S1 last night, told my wife to go away so I could go into S2 immediately (we were supposed to play a quick board game). 1 episode into S2 and already dreading when I get to the end and there aren't any more episodes. This show is simply fantastic.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Fall -- 9/10
S1 & S2 on Netflix. Just completed S1 last night, told my wife to go away so I could go into S2 immediately (we were supposed to play a quick board game). 1 episode into S2 and already dreading when I get to the end and there aren't any more episodes. This show is simply fantastic.

Yeah man, so freaking good! Hope a third season actually ends up happening.

KT

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I almost didn't continue beyond the 1st episode. It's so ... weird and creepy. Definitely glad I kept watching.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm very far behind on shows that aren't on normal broadcast TV. We got HBO and SHO recently so I went back to Sopranos which I had stopped watching back in Season 2. Finished the last episode last night. I already knew how it ended and it sucked just as much as I imagined.

Now I'm looking to start another show. I've got HBO, SHO, Netflix and Amazon. Any recommendations?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm very far behind on shows that aren't on normal broadcast TV. We got HBO and SHO recently so I went back to Sopranos which I had stopped watching back in Season 2. Finished the last episode last night. I already knew how it ended and it sucked just as much as I imagined.

Now I'm looking to start another show. I've got HBO, SHO, Netflix and Amazon. Any recommendations?

You liked The Sopranos overall though? What other shows have you really liked?

KT

Feb 10, 2000

In rough order of priority/preference:

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Wire
Fargo (both seasons)
True Detective (season 1 only)
Homeland (though only season 1 is a priority)
Friday Night Lights
House of Cards
The Fall
Luther

I don't particularly like Aaron Sorkin, but many people like The Oval Office and The Newsroom.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I just started Mad Dogs last night and watched the first 2 episodes. it started out kind of slow/iffy but holy shit, the last 10 minutes of the pilot completely draw you into it. i'll definitely be watching all 10 episodes.

the only thing i do not like about the show is that it has the soap opera effect on the show. i really REALLY dislike that the style is just built into the show, unless there is some setting on prime that i don't know about or something.

I've just finished the third one last night, have just been watching them when the wife is home atm, as she like it also so far.

:thumbsup:

The Fall -- 9/10

I've been watching these also, the wife isn't into this one so much and I'm still on season one, so have been watching on my own.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

In rough order of priority/preference:

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Wire
Fargo (both seasons)
True Detective (season 1 only)
Homeland (though only season 1 is a priority)
Friday Night Lights
House of Cards
The Fall
Luther

I don't particularly like Aaron Sorkin, but many people like The Oval Office and The Newsroom.

I've never watched a few even on Don Vitos list though I had heard they were good.

I definitely second,

Breaking Bad
The Wire
True Detective (Season 1)
Still catching up on The Fall myself.

The Newsroom went downhill fast IMHO.

As far as Amazon and HBO GO I'd add,

Actually a ton of HBO

Generation Kill
Game of Thrones (If you all ready hadn't)
Deadwood
Boardwalk Empire
Band of Brothers
The Jinx
John Adams
Rome

Probably a ton of things in general on HBO you probably haven't seen depending on your tastes.

On Amazon so far,

Mad Dogs (currently watching)
The Good Wife
The Man in the High Castle
Hannibal
Mozart in the Jungle
Bosch
Red Oaks (it's actually a bit funnier than it appears)
Downton Abbey (not for everyone one, British PBS period piece)
Mercy Street (it's new similar to Downton, but a PBS US civil war thing)

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I did like the show. There were some slow episodes but I enjoyed it to the end.

Things I'm thinking about are:
True Detective
Breaking Bad
The Wire

Do Breaking Bad first. It's a pretty easy watch. I thought it took a few episodes to get going and it got a little dumb near the end, but stick with it as it is very entertaining.

KT

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

True Detective
Breaking Bad
The Wire

What in particular genre of show do you enjoy watching the most ?

But out of those three I'd agree with Breaking Bad.

I actually try pushing people to watch Generation Kill now and then on HBO, but not sure how many have.

Only was one season mini series and I still rewatch them now and then :)

One of my all time favorites, personally.

2tshAbL.gif

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi -- 8.5/10
I really enjoyed this one. I thought Bay did a pretty decent job though there were some of his stylistic choices (lotsa slow-mo, lol, but not too ridiculous I think) evident throughout. Not much to say about the characters, though this was based on a book so I'm not familiar with the source material. Recommended, though.

Bridge of Spies -- 8/10
This was quite good I guess but definitely kind of a snooze-fest, though I more or less expected that. I'm not familiar with the source/events for this one either. It seems like a lot of scenes were filmed with a very wide angle lens (I noticed vertical lines curving) which was different. Overall it was pretty decent but nothing to write home about. Hanks was great as usual.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

True Detective
Breaking Bad
The Wire

basically what others have said, but don't forget Deadwood: It's the best HBO has ever produced, imo, but it's not for everyone. Give it a few episodes and you won't be said that you did. If you enjoy those, and especially True Detective, then you probably won't have a problem with Deadwood. The dialogue can be dense (Swearingen speaks in invective-laden iambic pentameter), but it's wholly satisfying.

Rome is also great for the 2 seasons that it existed.

True Detective: phenomenal, but the 2nd season is really weak in comparison. Still quite good, but a very weak followup.

And while Aaron Sorkin is a bit of a douche canoe, The Newsroom is fantastic.

Favorite show recently that we finally binged after putting it off for so long: Justified. (FX, and all seasons available through Amazon Prime). We also finished Nurse Jackie (SHO) the other day. It's quite good, but also rather depressing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Ohhhhhh I hate that! Is it one of their "Presented in 4K!" things? Most of those tend to have that icky effect.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What in particular genre of show do you enjoy watching the most ?

I like a lot of different types of shows. Not a huge space sci-fi or super hero fan.

Things I currently watch on broadcast TV:
Simpsons, Family Guy, Last Man on Earth, The Blacklist, Colony, Limitless, Second Chance, Shades of Blue.

On SHO: Homeland (on season 2)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Justified is a good call. Super entertaining. Reminds me I need to catch up on the last two seasons...

KT

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011

I can recommend any of these, there are definitely other good ones omitted but I can't recommend them without having seen them myself ():) Bolded anything I haven't seen on other lists thus far.

HBO:
Game of Thrones
Silicon Valley
True Detective (can't comment on S2 as I haven't seen it)
Vice (if documentaries are your thing)
The Newsroom
Boardwalk Empire
Band of Brothers (mini series)
Mildred Pierce (mini series)

Showtime:
Shameless
Homeland
House of Lies
Masters of Sex
Californication, first 4-5 seasons
Weeds, first 4-5 seasons

Netflix:
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
The Fall
Sherlock
The League
Human Planet (documentary mini series)

Justified is a good call. Super entertaining. Reminds me I need to catch up on the last two seasons...

KT

YES. Me too, I believe we also have 2 seasons left. Justified is an excellent choice.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Weird.

True Detective s1 is the best thing on TV since, I dunno....Breaking Bad or even Deadwood.
Yeah I thought Season 1 was frickin fantastic. Both Harrelson and McConadjajajajahey were just excellent. I started Season 2 but I didn't find it nearly as compelling as S01. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day (got through maybe 2 or 3 episodes).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah I thought Season 1 was frickin fantastic. Both Harrelson and McConadjajajajahey were just excellent. I started Season 2 but I didn't find it nearly as compelling as S01. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day (got through maybe 2 or 3 episodes).

Season 2 does get better and is worth finishing, imo; but it's never as great as harrelson and mcagonaghauty season.

Status
Not open for further replies.