NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 428 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
So I'm watching Batman Begins right now. A bit over an hour in. Why was it praised? So far it's like a 3 out of 10. This is not a good movie. At all.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So I'm watching Batman Begins right now. A bit over an hour in. Why was it praised? So far it's like a 3 out of 10. This is not a good movie. At all.

It adapts a comic without losing all of the fantasy (TDK left out most of the fantasy) and gives him a motivation just believable enough that we can get over it being a guy who dresses up like a bat to fight crime. For most it was the first comic-book movie that wasn't too comic-booky.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
It adapts a comic without losing all of the fantasy (TDK left out most of the fantasy) and gives him a motivation just believable enough that we can get over it being a guy who dresses up like a bat to fight crime. For most it was the first comic-book movie that wasn't too comic-booky.
Been a little while since I watched the first, but +1. I will say though, like so many comic book origin movies, the third act is a little bumpy.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The 33 - 5/10

I saw a documentary on the disaster and the film followed that pretty closely, just emphasizing different aspects of it - as you would expect.

The special effects at the beginning were pretty decent and there was one shot that really gave you a sense of how meandering and disorganized the mine was. The acting was decent but I don't think the direction really sold it. And btw, Cote de Pablo should have stayed on NCIS. She only had a bit part but holy shit did she milk it.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007

OK. So once they got over the bs origin story it got much better. First half 3/10. Second half 7.5/10.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Bessie - Queen Latifah 4.5/10

The story of Bessie Smith, a blues singers, mangled by a low budget and black film stereotypes. If 'Ray' was a 10, then this would be a 2.

Warrior - Tom Hardy 6.5/10

MMA 'Rocky' attempt, that at times is great, but sadly often trite. Good overall, if you like fight films; one of those films I'd say is worth watching if you like the genre.

A Brave Heart : The Lizzie Velasquez Story 7.5/10

Hard to watch. The story of a woman that can't gain weight, and is pretty much a stick figure. You'll wonder how she even stands, let alone tries to fight bullying. Apparently this started with someone posting she was the 'ugliest woman on Earth' on YouTube, to her speaking all over the world. Hard to watch, but I enjoyed this story of spirit.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
What was BS about it exactly? Were you just bored that it wasn't superhero shlock?

I get that his parents were murdered and they were all about justice and stuff. I even am ok with the bat being the symbol because he wants his enemies to fear the same thing he once did. Every other piece of the origin story is bs.

Morgan Freeman is a genius R&D person that just happens to have the right kind of armor AND the tank car AND a fabric that expands with electricity which he built all by himself in the basement of an underfunded non-military research area. He is also a genius chemist capable of formulating an antidote to a brand new weaponized chemical.

And the Lord's of the shadow or whatever they're called. Some ninja cult with an insane purpose trains Bruce Wayne to be their leader without even asking if he wants to be the leader and without telling him why they're training him. And Liam Neeson has a pedo stash. And this interaction is so meaningful to Bruce Wayne that he invents the batman persona. Epic bs.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Morgan Freeman is a genius R&D person that just happens to have the right kind of armor AND the tank car AND a fabric that expands with electricity which he built in the basement of an underfunded non-military research area. He is also a genius chemist capable of formulating an antidote to a brand new weaponized chemical.
Like it makes more sense for Alfred to do it than someone in his multibillion-dollar company? Lucius was in the comics too so it's not like they pulled it out of their rear. It makes a lot more sense that these things were privately developed by a team at Wayne Enterprises and shelved than made by a one-man engineering team (two if you count Alfred).

And the Lord's of the shadow or whatever they're called. Some ninja cult with an insane purpose trains Bruce Wayne to be their leader without even asking if he wants to be the leader and without telling him why they're training him. And Liam Neeson has a pedo stash. And this interaction is so meaningful to Bruce Wayne that he invents the batman persona. Epic bs.

I don't think he was being trained to be their leader. It was the same training they all went through except he refused to kill.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Like it makes more sense for Alfred to do it than someone in his multibillion-dollar company? Lucius was in the comics too so it's not like they pulled it out of their rear. It makes a lot more sense that these things were privately developed by a team at Wayne Enterprises and shelved than made by a one-man engineering team (two if you count Alfred).
Agreed. But it would make more sense if they made the cool stuff at batman's request rather than just have it before for no reason at all.

I don't think he was being trained to be their leader. It was the same training they all went through except he refused to kill.
It was stated right at the end of his training that he was to lead the group.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Agreed. But it would make more sense if they made the cool stuff at batman's request rather than just have it before for no reason at all.

It was stated right at the end of his training that he was to lead the group.
He was going to be leading *A* group, the group that was to destroy Gotham. This is because he is already familiar with and powerful within Gotham. He wasn't going to be the new Ras.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Ant Man [7.5/10]: How do you pull off ant man compared to a 'bit' more serious other superhero movies? The idea of shrinking back & forth and commanding an army of ants are pretty hilarious, in the midst of 'gritty' superhero movies.

Ant Man pulls it off by carrying it with humor. The movie is a total whack in terms of making fun of itself. I seriously actually laughed more with this movie than straight up real comedy genre.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Gets a solid +0.5 boost from the average 7.

Turn your mind off and enjoy it. It starts off like a second-rate Marvel production, but ends up being FAR better than recent snoozefests such as The Amazing Spiderman or even Avengers 1.

Michael Pena is amazing. I won me over since Crash. Stop typecasting him because he's a smaller Mexican. Give him a lead role already.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hannibal seasons 1 and 2 8/10
If you were on the fence like me about watching this show when it aired amazon has the first two seasons on Prime and it is damn good. I've been binge watching it for the last week. They really push the limits visually for network Tv. The way season 2 ends really feels like a series finale rather than a season so I have lower expectations for 3.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Big Trouble - 7/10
Pretty good. Has a Get Shorty vibe to it, but its not as good.

Wrath of the Titans - 5/10
Story was kind of all over the place.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
If you were on the fence like me about watching this show when it aired amazon has the first two seasons on Prime and it is damn good. I've been binge watching it for the last week. They really push the limits visually for network Tv. The way season 2 ends really feels like a series finale rather than a season so I have lower expectations for 3.

Yeah, 3 wasn't very good. At first I was annoyed when NBC canceled it but soon realized it was for the better.

Sep 29, 2004
Ant Man [7.5/10]: How do you pull off ant man compared to a 'bit' more serious other superhero movies? The idea of shrinking back & forth and commanding an army of ants are pretty hilarious, in the midst of 'gritty' superhero movies.

Ant Man pulls it off by carrying it with humor. The movie is a total whack in terms of making fun of itself. I seriously actually laughed more with this movie than straight up real comedy genre.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Gets a solid +0.5 boost from the average 7.

Turn your mind off and enjoy it. It starts off like a second-rate Marvel production, but ends up being FAR better than recent snoozefests such as The Amazing Spiderman or even Avengers 1.

Michael Pena is amazing. I won me over since Crash. Stop typecasting him because he's a smaller Mexican. Give him a lead role already.

My son is 10 and having a movie night at our house with about 15 kids. I am trying to convince him to do Ant Man (which I have yet to see). I am currently working on "renting" the movie so he can view it. If he wants to see it with his friends I'll get the Blu Ray.

AS a side note, I read that the Low Frequency Effects and use of surround sound are very good. So it should make use of my home theater (which has two 18" subs)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Fantastic Four http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/reference

currently sitting at 4.3 on IMDb;

i honestly thought it was an ok film. it has problems with pacing, generally too slow, occasionally too fast, but not bad in any way.
i guess the reason of the low votes is because it's not much "marvel's fantastic four", but rather "boy genius builds machine", in a similar vein to tomorrowland. gets better towards the end, some special effects were awesome ... i'm sure the next installment will be much better.

i would say 6.5/10, not great, but worth an evening at the movies.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007

Wife and I loved seasons 1 and 2. We both agreed it was the best thing on TV at the time. S3... we have started but just can't get through. It's just not interesting.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance): 8.5/10

Just finished this Netflix Blu-ray rental. Some quality filmmaking here and stand out performance by Michael Keaton. Unique score to the movie as well. Definitely not your typical popcorn flick, but it was enjoyable enough that you don't feel like it's just some pretentious arty bullshit. Iñarritu is the man; cannot wait for The Revenant.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance): 8.5/10

Just finished this Netflix Blu-ray rental. Some quality filmmaking here and stand out performance by Michael Keaton. Unique score to the movie as well. Definitely not your typical popcorn flick, but it was enjoyable enough that you don't feel like it's just some pretentious arty bullshit. Iñarritu is the man; cannot wait for The Revenant.

It was good, but definitely not "Best Picture" good. That one had me scratching my head.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Terminator Genisys 6.5/10

I liked Salvation; probably one of a handful, but I thought the theme of finding out you are not human through Skynet's manipulation was a strong sci-fi story. Stronger by far than some 'exactly like the liquid robot but different' theme they went with on the new one.

Genisys throws the majority of the IP's story away, but they pretty much had to, in order to ensure future sequels. When Skynet is destroyed what next? Personally, I'm ready for the end; this will drag on for hundreds of years like some soap opera.

So they blew up the Death Star again; er um, sorry destroyed Skynet again in Genisys. But, Arnold fell into a
tank of liquid robot goo
so there's the next sequel. I'm sure the producers were ecstatic they can replicate Arnold at any age; I wonder if he will be a movie star hundreds of years from now (and somehow become Skynet)!?!?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
My son is 10 and having a movie night at our house with about 15 kids. I am trying to convince him to do Ant Man (which I have yet to see). I am currently working on "renting" the movie so he can view it. If he wants to see it with his friends I'll get the Blu Ray.

AS a side note, I read that the Low Frequency Effects and use of surround sound are very good. So it should make use of my home theater (which has two 18" subs)

My 13 year old and his friends love it. I got it this weekend and they have already watched it 3 times that I know of (and probably more while I'm at work).

Status
Not open for further replies.