NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 422 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Bone Tomahwak 8/10

It felt really bare and like an indie film(it might be) but I liked it, much better than The Martian and Black Mass I watched recently

8/10

And O_O at that gruesome scene in the cave

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Exodus: Gods and Kings 7/10

Basically is Ridley Scott's version of the 10 Commandments, with a large cast of big names. It doesn't score well on IMDB and didn't see it in the theater, but I enjoyed it just because of the scope of the thing. Some of the visual eye candy like in Gladiator is worth watching it. Ran across it on HBO GO so gave it a shot.

Hannibal 8.5/10

I really do not watch network TV a lot, was surprised this was even on NBC, how times have changed considering the dark content and visuals. Just finished off season 2.

Whiplash, several times. about a dozen. 9/10

i get it if you don't get this film. a must for musicians.

I still love Whiplash myself, but it is not for everyone I guess.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
American Sniper

7.5/10

Decent movie, but IMO it was overhyped and the acting in some parts of it is just plain bad. The editing is pretty iffy at times too.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
John Wick -- 8/10

Maybe I had the advantage going into this of knowing literally nothing about the plot or story-line (not that there was that much). All I knew was people saying that this movie flew under the radar and that it was overlooked by many.

God damn it was solid. Just a mindless bad-ass movie done with some serious style. Sure it's riddled with "yeah...RIGHT!" moments, but that's the sort of movie it is.

LOVED IT. Lots of fun!

Glad you liked it but I really couldn't get into John Wick. The plot is WAY to far fetched for me.
Some dude kills Keanu's dog, and in response he kills (literally) hundreds of people? Seriously?
. <shrug> Maybe I'm just becoming an old fuddy duddy.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Glad you liked it but I really couldn't get into John Wick. The plot is WAY to far fetched for me.
Some dude kills Keanu's dog, and in response he kills (literally) hundreds of people? Seriously?

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's completely irrational and impossible, but I srot of liked the simple premise/storyline (if you can call it that). It was just a fun, "holy shit" movie with some great art direction and atmosphere.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's completely irrational and impossible, but I srot of liked the simple premise/storyline (if you can call it that). It was just a fun, "holy shit" movie with some great art direction and atmosphere.

John Wick was good in that Mad Max Fury Road way.

American Sniper I agree on, it wasn't based in some alternative world type of thing.

I think I gave it somewhere around where Sho'Nuff rated it, I liked it, but it seemed a lot of people were throwing 9's and 10's at it when it came out.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
John Wick was good in that Mad Max Fury Road way.

American Sniper I agree on, it wasn't based in some alternative world type of thing.

I think I gave it somewhere around where Sho'Nuff rated it, I liked it but it seemed a lot of people were throwing 9's and 10's at it when it came out.

Bingo.
It was just a really pleasant surprise for me.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Exodus: Gods and Kings 7/10

Basically is Ridley Scott's version of the 10 Commandments, with a large cast of big names. It doesn't score well on IMDB and didn't see it in the theater, but I enjoyed it just because of the scope of the thing. Some of the visual eye candy like in Gladiator is worth watching it. Ran across it on HBO GO so gave it a shot.

Hannibal 8.5/10

I really do not watch network TV a lot, was surprised this was even on NBC, how times have changed considering the dark content and visuals. Just finished off season 2.

I still love Whiplash myself, but it is not for everyone I guess.

Hannibal is amazing, cant believe it was on NBC considering their shows are garbage. One diamond in the rough it seems

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

Yeah I guess. Honestly I went into it with high expectations given the incredible reviews it has been given. But I had no idea what the actual plot was supposed to be going in to it, and I mistakenly thought it was going to be a thriller focusing on Keanu as a hit man. In fact it is far closer to a John Woo movie (e.g., replacement killers).

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Spectre 4/10. The car chase was pretty boring, the Bond girls were not exactly amazing, the dialogue was average, the story line was boring, the fight scenes were shit, the gun fights were ridiculously bad, even Christopher Waltz who I think is an amazing actor was mediocre at best. I'd wait for it to be released on Netflix or what ever you use to watch at home.
Edit: Oh and the ending was completely predictable.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

replace dog with daughter and you have the plot of taken.

but it also wasn't just a random dog.

both movies are awesome in their own right.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Black Rock: 7/10

I was going to give this a 6.5 but that seemed a bit too low, and I did like the movie though I can't see myself watching it again I suppose.

It's about three girls who go on a camping trip to a spot from their youth and meet some guys who are in the area hunting. The girls end up having to get away from the guys, who, after a fight, are trying to kill them. Wikipedia says the movie is horror/thriller but I didn't see any horror to the movie at all.

Decent acting by the girls. I originally found out about the movie cause I looked up the actress <3 from that recent movie "No Escape" and saw she was in it.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Ouat Media 2013 Sundance Short Compilation Project 10/10 !

I found this on Hoopla, which is a free Netflix-style service that you can access through your library card, if your library participates.

It is a series of short films from the Sundance event, and it is outstanding.

Of personal note, the second Russian film with no subtitles was perfectly understood, even though I only understood 'Nyet' as no. This story is something out of the minds of the greats of sci-fi, even though it happens on Earth. And the last...

Wow. The last flick is a horror film, mixed with Bohemian Rhapsody, mixed with Silver Bullet, with Pentatonix as producers... I'm extremely impressed at how unique, interesting, and well-produced that piece is. I've seen so many horror films, I'm inured to the subject matter. But, this one takes from everything, and makes something special. Hope to see more from this director.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Ouat Media 2013 Sundance Short Compilation Project 10/10 !

I found this on Hoopla, which is a free Netflix-style service that you can access through your library card, if your library participates.

It is a series of short films from the Sundance event, and it is outstanding.

Of personal note, the second Russian film with no subtitles was perfectly understood, even though I only understood 'Nyet' as no. This story is something out of the minds of the greats of sci-fi, even though it happens on Earth. And the last...

Wow. The last flick is a horror film, mixed with Bohemian Rhapsody, mixed with Silver Bullet, with Pentatonix as producers... I'm extremely impressed at how unique, interesting, and well-produced that piece is. I've seen so many horror films, I'm inured to the subject matter. But, this one takes from everything, and makes something special. Hope to see more from this director.

I've had Hoopla downloaded for many months but hadn't signed up at a participating library yet. You've just convinced me to go ahead and do it. Thanks!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Exeter - 7/10 - Low budget horror movie that is surprisingly good. It is typical 'kids wander into an abandoned home and things go bad' plot of but has many twists and some funny lines/moments. Acting is decent. Recommend it as a Halloween time watch.

Wolfcop - 6/10 - Another low budget movie. It's a strange movie, not too bad but nothing great.

adamantine.me

Oct 30, 2015
www.adamantine.me
Nazi Zombies - 8/10 - Better than I expected based on the name and description. Typical "How bad? SO bad" cabin vacation movie. Serve on ice.

(new) Robocop - 6/10 - Watched the original beforehand and the new one still seemed worse. Fight scenes consisted of lots of muzzle flashes. The plot line wasn't very believable, either.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Long Goodbye (Robert Altman, Elliot Gould, 1973) 6.5/10

About 1/4 into it I go, OK, please, no guns, no knives, no violence so far... but I have a feeling I'm going to be reminded in spades that this is America (i.e. that big violence is coming). The sex (well, titillation) comes from what seems to be an apartment full of yoga out-there mystical ~20 YO chicks who are on the same landing level (you see them outside), and are at least 1/2 the time naked from the waist up and cavorting cooing at our hero Marlowe, Phillip, who never gawks at them for a second or a millisecond.

I wasn't aware that it was a Norman Chandler novel, but of course the name Phillip Marlowe was a dead giveaway that it was the detective genre (set in L.A., really a lot around Malibu and Santa Monica). Well, some of the scenes were grisly almost, at least threatening as hell with a gangster who seemed to be a send up of someone's bizarre fantasy. Characters were in large part caricatures. It was meant to be funny practically all of the time. Elliott Gould had witty lines constantly even when he was in super dangerous situations. He chain smoked throughout, there was the recurring joke of him pulling out a wooden match and lighting it against whatever surface happened to be there.

Sterling Hayden turns in what I guess you'd have to call a remarkable performance as a highly successful, bigger than life manic hugely alcoholic writer with a monumental writer's block.

It's a mystery, of course, kind of a who-dunnit. It's Robert Altman, and it had that feeling from the beginning. Of course, in 1973 the main credits rolled at the beginning instead of the end, so I was informed up front that I was watching a Robert Altman movie. But once I saw that I thought, yeah, this feels like a Robert Altman movie. I watched part of the extra where they interview the camera man. I got really bored with it after a while and ejected the disk.
(new) Robocop - 6/10 - Watched the original beforehand and the new one still seemed worse. Fight scenes consisted of lots of muzzle flashes. The plot line wasn't very believable, either.

Huh? There's a new Robocop??? Robocop is one of those movies you could never duplicate or improve on.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Have never watched that one myself to be honest.

6.5 for something you ejected 1/4 of the way through seems a bit lenient though myself.

Last edited:

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Terminator Genisys 6.5/10 it was better than terminator 3
Jurassic World 6/10 More dinosaurs. If you seen Jurassic Park, nothing new here

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Atari:Game Over 2014 - 8/10- this is a documentary on Netflix that goes into the circumstances that caused lot of Atari cartridges to get buried in a dump. I thought it was pretty interesting, apparently they didn't bury the games due to the rumor that ET was a flop with the public.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Trainwreck - .../10 - Honestly, I got 11 minutes in and turned it off. It wasn't funny. Also, I couldn't get over the fact that not only did every male in the greater NYC area wanted to sleep with this woman, but they were instantly smitten with her. Unless the male denizens of NYC have suddenly gotten incredibly desperate, there's no fucking way that fucking would fucking occur. She was even dating John Cena! D: It's one of those times when your mind just can't suspend disbelief.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Beasts of No Nation - 6/10 (Netflix)
I had high hopes for this one, but it didn't really meet my expectations. Let me make one thing clear -- the little kid (Abraham Attah) did a FANTASTIC job in this movie. He really was phenomenal.

Now ... I have other problems. First, I realize this is in Africa, but either make the movie in English or don't. It was mostly in English, but it was INCREDIBLY difficult to understand. We turned on subtitles. Second, again probably due to my expectations, it seemed too slow and because of it, maybe 20-30 minutes too long. I'm not sure what I'd cut, but I was bored by the end. And lastly, it was just underwhelming.

I"m all for Netflix churning out original stuff, but aside from House of Cards and OitNB, they haven't really "hit" on anything else. I was hoping this would be their next hit, but alas I'm still waiting.

The Martian - 10/10
This movie was excellent. Matt Damon was charming and funny as always. The surrounding cast was also fantastic -- Jeff Daniels as the NASA director (felt right at home in the press conferences because of The Newsroom), Jessica Chastain as the captain, Sean Bean, Kate Mara, Donald Glover ... even Kristen Wiig felt right in here role and she usually bugs the hell out of me. It really was an amazing cast.

The movie itself was a pleasant mix of tense moments, funny moments, serious moments. Sure, I thought some of it may have been a bit far fetched, but I suppose you don't get to be an astronaut on Mars without being able to think outside the box a little bit.

We weren't even out of the theater and my wife said she wants to go see it again. As much as I enjoyed it, I think I'll be lobbying to wait for the bluray instead.

Lastly, we saw it at one of the biggest/best AMC theaters in the metro area, and it made me realize how much I miss living close to an AMC, even if they are a tad more expensive. The local theater (Regal) isn't anywhere near as comfy and has much smaller screens :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.