NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 421 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2000
Inside Llewyn Davis - 6/10

Llewyn Davis, played by Oscar Isaac, is an aspiring folk singer trying to make it big in the 60's. Davis is portrayed as an unlikable character. He kept making bad decisions that squashed any chance of success. But it was excessive, to the point where you don't feel bad for him. The acting was good. The music was well done, but there was too much of it. Every 15 minutes was another song -- it started to feel like a musical. Not one of the Coen brother's better films.

Whiplash - 7/10

Another movie about an aspiring musician? Andrew Neiman, played by Miles Teller, is a drummer trying to land a chair in his school's jazz band. J.K. Simmons stole the show as the band director Terence Fletcher. He is demanding, loud, sadistic, and he pushes everybody in the band. The music was good and the drama was intense. The lead actor was terrible, but it was more than made up by Simmons.

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
10/10 City Lights

I watch it every time it comes on TV and this time I snarfed it in HD so I'll be able to watch when I want. This is a movie that gets better every time you watch it (Note I say watch because it was one of the last silent films). The music was placed there by the author, director and actor: Charlie Chaplin and it is perhaps his best work; and in my opinion one of the topt 10 movies of all time. City_Lights

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Leftovers S2 Ep2 -- 5/10 -- Well, dang. Now I remember why I stopped watching this show last year. It's like, weirdness and semi-ominous vagueness for the sake of weirdness and semi-ominous vagueness. Still, the first ep was so good, so spot on and well done, that, this time I'm going to give it a more extended try. <shrug>

The Leftovers S2 Ep3 -- 4/10
-- I'm currently slogging through my second attempt to watch this ep, in hopes I would encounter some of the magic of ep 1. It's not happening. Mongrel called it sub-Twin Peaks. That sounds about right.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015

The Leftovers S2 Ep3 -- 4/10
-- I'm currently slogging through my second attempt to watch this ep, in hopes I would encounter some of the magic of ep 1. It's not happening. Mongrel called it sub-Twin Peaks. That sounds about right.
You don't realize how much you're missing having not seen the first season. For example the whole cult deprogramming plot probably didn't make any sense to you but it was a huge part of the first season.

Most tv I'm not actively watching and this is one of the shows that falls into that category. But there are some interesting themes. For example the fact that the son of the woman doing the deprogramming is the heir to the abilities of the black guy they showed in some of the videos. That was another major theme of the first season.

I'm not saying this is emmy material but it definitely beats the piss out of most network tv.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
The Final Girls (2015) - 7/10. Solid horror spoof. But I'm a big fan of Malin Åkerman...

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
A Midnight Clear 6-7/10

Strangely, the DVD is in Korean, but touts 'thumbs up' from Siskel and Ebert so it must be old. Annoyingly, the movie is in English, but with Korean subtitles (that you can't turn off).

Doubly-strange; I can read Korean, and the subtitles do not sync with the spoken text in many areas.

But, it's decent. Interesting concept and some good actors. Don't hit 'eject' because of the HUGE Korean subtitles until you've given it thirty minutes or so.

Two Men in Town - Forest Whitaker 6/10

I gave it a low score, but it's far better than most 6/10 movies. You don't get drawn into the Muslim prisoner that sticks to the faith, nor (much) into the corrupt local sheriff. Could be better, but worth your time if you view many movies.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Jurassic World -7/10 Good popcorn flick and I liked the two leads, but the CGI was merely adequate, the plot was cliched and often pointless, and the characters were fairly two dimensional. The first one was brilliant and still worth a rewatch; I doubt we will ever have an urge to reach this one even though we enjoyed it. The effort to add some angst via the kids/family situation came across as WTF and pointless and while the usual theme (perils of playing G-d and unknown effects of filling in genetic gaps) was reasonably well done from a plot standpoint, the science for the rest of the film didn't seem up to snuff. Mostly my quibble though was with the characters, who are universally flat and cliched. The plot isn't much better either. Performances were nearly universally good across the board, the kids being decent but not up to past efforts.

Halo 4: Forward into Dawn 4/10. Bit of a prequel, it did not impress me on any level. No particularly good performances, no particularly good effects, no particularly good plot. In SciFi, the setting is also a character, yet this particular setting was as generic as is possible.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Child 44 8/10

A unique flick about a child killer in Russia during the time of Stalin when 'murder is a problem of capitalist countries'. When a cop realizes kids are being killed, and tries to investigate, he gets demoted and sent to the end of the Russian empire. Great acting all around; interesting subject matter, and so unusual that it is even more powerful.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
San Andreas - 7/10. Typical disaster/action film. Lots of LFE for those who enjoy that.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
The Green Inferno - 3/10

Ugh... a 3 might be generous. I like the premise but the execution was complete forgettable. I've been better acting in B horror movies.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Song of the Sea (2014) - in terms of visual beauty, 9/10

It's a children's film, no question about it. However the artwork is amazing IMO, I would include it in a list of films with the best artwork (it's an animation). Otherwise the film is entertaining enough. I would suggest that you see it in BR quality to get all the detail.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Song of the Sea (2014) - in terms of visual beauty, 9/10

It's a children's film, no question about it. However the artwork is amazing IMO, I would include it in a list of films with the best artwork (it's an animation). Otherwise the film is entertaining enough. I would suggest that you see it in BR quality to get all the detail.

EXCELLENT movie!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
John Wick -- 8/10

Maybe I had the advantage going into this of knowing literally nothing about the plot or story-line (not that there was that much). All I knew was people saying that this movie flew under the radar and that it was overlooked by many.

God damn it was solid. Just a mindless bad-ass movie done with some serious style. Sure it's riddled with "yeah...RIGHT!" moments, but that's the sort of movie it is.

LOVED IT. Lots of fun!

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Mr Robot Season 1

Pretty good. Elliot is kind of like the Dexter of hackers.

Last edited:

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Flight 8/10

I know this is older now, but I just saw it. I was very impressed by Denzel. The movie was much more than I expected!

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
The Last Witchunter - 3/10

Unintentional comedy at it's finest, this movie sucked but I still loved going to see it because my friends and I ended up fucking cracking up throughout and afterwards. Well worth the price of admission in that sense.

Diesel actually has his heart in the right place - he wants to be part of a legitimate, detailed fantasy world that has 'real' rules and structure. This one just tries to force way too much of it and is undermined by terrible dialogue and cheesy action movie flair. If you could somehow strip all that away you wouldn't have much movie left but there would be some salvageable ideas left imo.

Also calling it now - saw a preview for "Krampus" - this could contend for one of the worst movies of all time. God it looked so, so bad.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Rambo 2: New Blood - 9/10

Rambo kicks ass in this 1985 action thriller. Murdock left Rambo for dead in the jungles of Vietnam. Wrong move.

Check out the movie if you haven't seen it yet.

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
Dragon Ball Z: Ressurection F (7/10)
If you go in expecting Dragon Ball Z style action, drama, and suspense, you'll probably be very disappointed. Much like Battle of Gods, Resurrection F is more Dragon Ball and less Dragon Ball Z. Also not recommended for anyone who wasn't a huge fan of the TV series. There's a lot of inside jokes about senzu bean abuse, dragon ball resurrections destroying any kind of suspense, and how stupid it is that the Z Fighters are always fighting 1v1 when they'd probably be more effective fighting as a team. It's actually rather funny in a self-deprecating kind of way.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Last Witchunter - 3/10

Unintentional comedy at it's finest, this movie sucked but I still loved going to see it because my friends and I ended up fucking cracking up throughout and afterwards. Well worth the price of admission in that sense.

Diesel actually has his heart in the right place - he wants to be part of a legitimate, detailed fantasy world that has 'real' rules and structure. This one just tries to force way too much of it and is undermined by terrible dialogue and cheesy action movie flair. If you could somehow strip all that away you wouldn't have much movie left but there would be some salvageable ideas left imo.

Also calling it now - saw a preview for "Krampus" - this could contend for one of the worst movies of all time. God it looked so, so bad.
I would have given it a 5 but I agree about not creating structure. Unfortunately that takes up time and tends cause an audience to nod off. Also a witch hunter with no special powers seems pretty stupid. At least toss the dude a magical amulet or something.

The dialog was what I expected. Vin isn't really an actor. He basically plays himself in most of these movies making him a character actor I guess. I mean the contrast between him and his co-star was just . . . stark.

Even with it's faults, I thought it was entertaining which is my minimum mark for giving something a 5.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Nightcrawler - 2/10

Movie did nothing for me. Rene Russo looks like shit.

Jurassic World - 2/10

Bad sappy rehash.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Just saw The Martian, 9/10. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I'm just getting tired of seeing Jeff Daniels as the boss; Matt Damon nailed his role.

Before that, Jurassic World 2/10. I liked it better when it was called Jurassic World.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Whiplash, several times. about a dozen. 9/10

i get it if you don't get this film. a must for musicians.

Admiral:Roaring Currents 5/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3541262/reference

Slow, badly acted, over the top cgi, and frankly a horrible depiction of history. read wikipedia to understand what actually happened and why this would have been a very interesting film if done accurately.

Flash Gordon 8/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080745/reference

a classic and a masterpiece of it's own time. unrivalled in campiness and visual style, it holds its own today as it did 30 years ago.

Fracture 6/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488120/reference

superbly acted, it lacks punch. very similar in scope to Law Abiding Citizen, and just as disappointing.

Babylon AD 5/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364970/reference

bad flic bad action bad vin diesel and the story goes from bad 80s rutger hauer style post apocalyptic trashcan film to cloud atlas visual splendor with resulting confusion and wtfness.

Status
Not open for further replies.