Not surprisingly, the whacked out opinions about rape in the GOP are widespread

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
What, you didn't think Akin was some sort of aberration, did you? The conservative mind is a depraved and diseased mind. Now if only Republicans were more honest about their beliefs like Akin is, Republicans would never be elected again (outside of all of the backwards southern red states) and our country would quickly unscrew itself and maybe we could heal as a nation.

Edit:

Thread title is a lie...why do the mods here tolerate this kind of garbage from such a dispicable hack? What gives?

Oh you think Akin is an isolated incident, Doc Savage fan? Here's even more evidence, you republican shill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_xf383_QhU

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/steve-king-statutory-rape.php?ref=fpb

http://veracitystew.com/2012/08/21/idaho-republican-wonders-if-women-even-know-what-rape-is/

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...efense-of-todd-akins-legitimate-rape-comments

http://www.akin.org/still-standing

Edit2: Oh my "Favorite" one:

http://articles.kwch.com/2011-05-25/rights-groups_29584145

The House was discussing insurance coverage for abortions. The point was made that proposed coverage restrictions did not make exceptions for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest. DeGraaf suggested that women purchase separate abortion-only policies. Bollier questioned him about the likelihood of women doing this.

Rep. Pete DeGraaf said, "We do need to plan ahead, don't we, in life?"

Bollier asked him, "And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with pregnancy?"

DeGraaf then responded, "I have a spare tire on my car." "I also have life insurance," he added. "I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for."

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...f-the-false-no-pregnancy-from-rape-theory.php

Rep. Todd Akin is far from the only conservative to suggest women rarely get pregnant from rape. He’s not even the first lawmaker to make the assertion (which flies in the face of medical evidence).

A search of news archives by TPM shows a short history of Republican politicians espousing the idea of a biological defense against pregnancy in cases of rape, though there’s little consistency in their explanations of how such a mechanism works.

In 1988, Stephen Freind, a state representative in Pennsylvania, defended his no-exceptions anti-abortion stance — as Akin was doing Sunday — by claiming that it was virtually impossible for a woman who is raped to become pregnant.

“The odds are one in millions and millions and millions,” Freind said in a debate in March of that year. “And there is a physical reason for that.”

Freind said that women possess a “certain secretion” that kills sperm.

“Rape, obviously, is a traumatic experience. When that traumatic experience is undergone, a woman secretes a certain secretion, which has a tendency to kill sperm.”

Freind promised to provide scientific documentation of his theory and told a cheering crowd later that month, “If you’re expecting me to back off, the answer is no.”

Seven years later, a state legislator in North Carolina championed the same theory. Henry Aldridge, a Republican state representative, argued for the elimination of a public fund to help poor women pay for abortions by using a similar argument.

“The facts show that people who are raped — who are truly raped — the juices don’t flow, the body functions don’t work and they don’t get pregnant,” Aldridge told the House Appropriations Committee. “Medical authorities agree that this is a rarity, if ever.”

Aldridge was addressing the committee to apologize for “earlier remarks implying that victims of rape or incest are sexually promiscuous,” according to an Associated Press report at the time.

Aldridge, like Freind, did not back down. “To get pregnant, it takes a little cooperation. And there ain’t much cooperation in a rape,” he said.

In 1998, Republican Arkansas state Rep. Fay Boozman botched his own Senate bid against Sen. Blanche Lincoln when he said at a rally that pregnancy resulting from rape was rare. He denied having used the phrase “God’s little shield,” according to the Washington Post.

The next year, Mike Huckabee, then governor of Arkansas, appointed his good friend Boozman to lead the state’s Health Department. Upon becoming health director, Boozman apologized for the comments, saying they were “not statistically based.”

Huckabee, who opposes abortion even in cases of rape, endorsed Akin in the Missouri primary.

Akin, who earlier this month won the Republican Senate nomination in Missouri, said he “misspoke” in a follow-up statement, but he did not disavow the substance of his comments except to acknowledge that rape can in fact result in pregnancy.

One abortion-rights activist said publicizing the false theory can cause even further trauma to rape victims.

“The first time I heard it or saw anything about it it was in a chat room,” Terry O’Neill, president of the National Organization for Women, told TPM. O’Neill recalled that a woman in the chat room said she “struggled to deal with the shame of her sexual assault because she had heard that she was not supposed to get pregnant and that her body sort of had betrayed her.”

“It was a number of years ago,” O’Neill said, “But I just remember thinking, ‘Oh my God that poor woman, where did she hear this?’”

Last edited:

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Oh, are you implying that they're libeling the conservatives they're quoting?

No, I'm just pointing out that you're partisan trash. I can't wait to see you go ballistic when Obama gets his ass handed to him in a few months.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
Oh, are you implying that they're libeling the conservatives they're quoting?

I believe he is implying he can't address the actual content of your post but still feels compelled to shill for his favorite political team. His empty and useless post aside, I think to make the point you want to effectively you need more conservatives than the article has saying that crap. Polls would be useful here, or at the very least a more expansive quote list.

Apr 27, 2012
No, I'm just pointing out that you're partisan trash. I can't wait to see you go ballistic when Obama gets his ass handed to him in a few months.

Well said, There is nothing wrong with criticizing the GOP, I attack them but when you only attack one side and blindly defend the other there are problems

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
I believe he is implying he can't address the actual content of your post but still feels compelled to shill for his favorite political team. His empty and useless post aside, I think to make the point you want to effectively you need more conservatives than the article has saying that crap. Polls would be useful here, or at the very least a more expansive quote list.

So I'm shilling for my favorite political team, but Phokus is a shining beacon of impartiality, right? Have you ever read any of his posts before?

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009

Nah, we'll be reading about the meltdown at the Militia Camp you live in with your inbreed family. Just burn a few crosses, and you'll be fine.

P.S. Are you going to post my picture again, or are you done beating off to it?

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
So I'm shilling for my favorite political team, but Phokus is a shining beacon of impartiality, right? Have you ever read any of his posts before?

Not at all, Phokus crosses that line a lot too. Note I even pointed out he case he made needed better support in the very post you quoted. That said, the fact remains that there was legitimate content in the post that you brushed off with an "lol". If that is how you want to be, fine, post away. Let neither of us pretend, however, you were contributing to the thread.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Not at all, Phokus crosses that line a lot too. Note I even pointed out he case he made needed better support in the very post you quoted. That said, the fact remains that there was legitimate content in the post that you brushed off with an "lol". If that is how you want to be, fine, post away. Let neither of us pretend, however, you were contributing to the thread.

:thumbsup: I agree.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Doctors in Victorian England thought that for a woman to get pregnant, she had to have an orgasm. Therefore, if she became pregnant from what she claimed to be rape, she had to lying, as she obviously enjoyed it. Seems not much has changed in the last 150 years. It's not surprising, the modern Republican party would have been Tories and Loyalists during the American Revolution. You know how they love to suck up to power and money.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by Abraxas

Do you see Liberals making whacked comments like Republicans?

No

It's because Democrats believe in Science, Religious Republicans do not.

Apr 27, 2012
Originally Posted by Abraxas

No

Partisan hackery at its finest!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Thread title is a lie. So four people equals "widespread"? What an idiot.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
As a self identifying liberal and progressive on social issues, it simply astounds me to see so many Americans hold dearly to views that are not based on any scientific facts or other presentable form of reality. I just can't fathom how someone could arrive at a set of beliefs like this without any evidence to support or backup their claims.

Even more astounding is why the GOP is choosing to bring this into the spotlight. Just recently I heard that they are making abortion outlawed even in cases of rape and incest the official party platform. Are they literally this stupid to put this into the spotlight right before their convention? They need women voters to win, period. Women voters are what won the election for Obama last election, not minorities.

In the swing states, Obama is expected to lead the way with single women and if he can just break even with married women it's game over. This shows me that the GOP is fractured already, their leadership long gone. This many mistakes is pretty ridiculous.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

No

Let see:

Dave is a liberal

Dave is a democrat

Dave makes all these wacked-out posts here on the forums.

Case closed

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Thread title is a lie. So four people equals "widespread"? What an idiot.

Add a couple more:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...efense-of-todd-akins-legitimate-rape-comments

And don't forget the numerous republicans who are 'smart' enough not to publicly say it out loud but still silently agree with it.

And also don't forget the anti-abortion legislation that result from these beliefs, which is actually more offensive than just saying these stupid words.

The only idiot is you. Yeah cover your eyes and ears and pretend the GOP is a well adjusted party.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Doctors in Victorian England thought that for a woman to get pregnant, she had to have an orgasm. Therefore, if she became pregnant from what she claimed to be rape, she had to lying, as she obviously enjoyed it. Seems not much has changed in the last 150 years. It's not surprising, the modern Republican party would have been Tories and Loyalists during the American Revolution. You know how they love to suck up to power and money.

'Murica, fuck yeah....

What ever happened to separation of church and state? The Repubs seem to be the antithesis of this founding belief.

Democrats believe in Science, Religious Republicans do not.

Come on man, you KNOW THE EARTH IS FLAT!!!!!

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

No

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hillary_Rodham_Clinton
Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known. Women are often the refugees from conflict and sometimes, more frequently in today’s warfare, victims. Women are often left with the responsibility, alone, of raising the children.
-Hillary Clinton, Democrat, Secretary of State, former Senator, and almost President

Do you care to rethink your questions. Or do you agree with Mrs. Clinton and think that if a man gets a head blown off the real victim is his wife?