Not sore after a workout??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuppkake

Sep 13, 2011
I have gotten back into the gym after a couple of years on hiatus. I do 30-45 minutes of weight training. The first day I took it fairly easy, expecting to have sore muscles. The next day I was not at all sore, but I took the day off for rest anyway. Went back last night and upped the workout with some heavier weights and more reps, fatiguing several muscle groups. I am not at all sore today!
Now, I certainly don't want to be in pain and sore all over-but I would expect some muscle tenderness. Any idea what's going on here?

Mar 22, 2002
You're exercising within your abilities, which is fine. Being sore is not a good indicator of progress or performance. You could increase the intensity a bit, it seems, if you're not comfortable without the soreness :p

cuppkake

Sep 13, 2011
Thanks for the reply :) I am just very surprised that this would be within my abilities, apparently I hadn't lost as much as I had thought. Not sure how to judge my progress without a little soreness!

cuppkake

Sep 13, 2011
I am 26
It's a new gym, so I am still learning a lot of their fancy equipment so at this time I do every basic machine they have. I have never followed much of a set schedule-I get too bored. For the most part, I am doing curls, squats, and a lot of workouts that I do not even know the name of.
Curl 1 rep max prob 30 lbs
Squat ~70
I guess I need to really see when I go back tonight.

Also, is it really necessary to give my muscles a day of rest in between workouts, even if I am not sore? Like I said, I went last night and did a total body workout for about 45 min or so (no cardio, just weights) and would like to do more with weights tonight.

Mar 22, 2002
Yeah, if you're lifting, you should definitely get in the habit of giving your muscles some sort of rest. Like I said, soreness is not a good indicator of how much you're re-building. If you want, take that day in between to stretch and maintain your body. You can do that or pick up cardio.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I was going to ask about this today but you did. I am the oppisite though. Over the last month Ive noticed that I have been sore after almost everyday of lifting. As I type this on Friday, I worked out legs on Wednesday and they are still sore. I always make sure to get a good stretch after to help but not sure what has been the deal lately.

Cstefan

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
Myself, I am lightly sore for about 24 hours and I go 48 hours between workouts, but squats and deadlifts always leave my legs pretty sore for 3 days. I basically go day 1 cardio - 2 upper/lower - 3 cardio - 4 upper - 5 cardio - 6 upper/lower - 7 rest > GOTO 1.

Mar 22, 2002
I was going to ask about this today but you did. I am the oppisite though. Over the last month Ive noticed that I have been sore after almost everyday of lifting. As I type this on Friday, I worked out legs on Wednesday and they are still sore. I always make sure to get a good stretch after to help but not sure what has been the deal lately.

Depending on how long you've been consistently training, you may want to take a week off. You may be suffering from overtraining or CNS fatigue.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Depending on how long you've been consistently training, you may want to take a week off. You may be suffering from overtraining or CNS fatigue.

I have been going for about 10-11 months now. I usually take a week off every 6-7 weeks to let my body heal up. Back in June was my last really break and it was a two week break mostly because I was on vacation and really didn't care to go down to the hotel gym while I was there.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004

I still get sore after certain Insanity workouts (not weight lifting I know, but still). Not all the workouts, just the ones that are most grueling. I treat it as a sign of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.