Not one abortion by PP in Louisiana - ever, but LA Repubs want to defund it anyway

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm always a bit dismayed when choice advocates buy into the faux morality of the control freaks at all.

Women have a constitutional right to abortion under the conditions laid out in Roe & Casey. Period. Their reasons & circumstances are immaterial.

States have no right to prohibit that any more than they have the right to prohibit voting, gun ownership, religion or any constitutional right. The means used to achieve such prohibition are also immaterial whether that's done through intentionally prohibitive "medical" requirements or banning the operations of organizations that might provide them.

It's all doublespeak in pursuit of the goal of depriving women of their rights & should be viewed as such.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Yes, it's very difficult to understand why the taxpayer must pay for both pp and Medicaid at the same time.

I'm sure many things are very difficult for you to understand. Maybe go learn what medicaid is and then come back. Or don't, because you never will.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Can you explain why having an unwanted child is 'taking responsibility' while having an abortion is not?

Prediction - He will not answer this question. But if he does, he will advocate punishing women for having sex.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Not to divert, but this issue is something that should be asked of Carley Fiorina during today's debate. Being married yet never having children of her own, that should provide for some interesting perspective on her part in regards to this thread topic.

Should be interesting to see stats on how conservative women, especially those that, like Fiorina, (assumably) chose to forego having children in order to advance their careers in the workplace and how they went about practicing their own version of birth control to pursue their agenda.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Prediction - He will not answer this question. But if he does, he will advocate punishing women for having sex.

He's not punishing women for sex; he's punishing women for pregnancy. It's totally different!

:rolleyes:

Conservatives do love their slut shaming & generational poverty. When women avail themselves of their constitutional right to abortion it denies them the object lessons they crave to justify their "values", such as they are. You can't preach against sin w/o suffering sinners so they'll create as many as possible.

Abstinence only sex-ed is geared to the same purposes.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not to divert, but this issue is something that should be asked of Carley Fiorina during today's debate. Being married yet never having children of her own, that should provide for some interesting perspective on her part in regards to this thread topic.

Should be interesting to see stats on how conservative women, especially those that, like Fiorina, (assumably) chose to forego having children in order to advance their careers in the workplace and how they went about practicing their own version of birth control to pursue their agenda.

She'll probably claim to have successfully practiced Vatican roulette for decades & will be believed by the faithful. Oh, and that she never had sex prior to her first marriage at 23.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Conservatives do love their slut shaming & generational poverty. When women avail themselves of their constitutional right to abortion it denies them the object lessons they crave to justify their "values", such as they are. You can't preach against sin w/o suffering sinners so they'll create as many as possible.

Abstinence only sex-ed is geared to the same purposes.

I wonder how birth control practices would be viewed by conservatives if the responsibility for practicing birth control was, by law, completely liable and legally restricted to men and men only, with women being free of such burdens.

Kind'a like the very opposite of how things are now. ;)

Last edited:

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005

Lol, people are punishing women for having sex? WHAT THE HELL are you on?

I don't think you heard anyone complain about providing birth-control to individuals, both male and female. I think everyone who thinks rationally is advocating proper usage and not succumb to - "well I can just have an abortion" and not really care.

If you think abortion is equivalent to brushing your teeth or is not a serious concern, there is no point in debating.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It recently occurred to me the folly of Slut Shaming. If a Chick or Dude simply can't help sleeping around, wouldn't it be better for everyone if those people could be open about it? Slut Shaming simply forces people to hide their activities and often forces them to get involved in relationships where Fidelity is openly celebrated. Which all too often forces them to "Cheat". Everyone benefits if everyone knows what they are entering into, when it comes to Relationships.

I suspect that most people who do this are simply going through a phase. Like how many Drink and do Drugs for awhile, then they get their fill and move on.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
It recently occurred to me the folly of Slut Shaming. If a Chick or Dude simply can't help sleeping around, wouldn't it be better for everyone if those people could be open about it? Slut Shaming simply forces people to hide their activities and often forces them to get involved in relationships where Fidelity is openly celebrated. Which all too often forces them to "Cheat". Everyone benefits if everyone knows what they are entering into, when it comes to Relationships.

I suspect that most people who do this are simply going through a phase. Like how many Drink and do Drugs for awhile, then they get their fill and move on.

Can you reference this "slut shaming" you're continuing to share with the forum?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

I don't think you heard anyone complain about providing birth-control to individuals, both male and female. I think everyone who thinks rationally is advocating proper usage and not succumb to - "well I can just have an abortion" and not really care.

If you think abortion is equivalent to brushing your teeth or is not a serious concern, there is no point in debating.

Are you ready to help pay more in taxes to fund the state for all of these children if PP is defunded?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Can you reference this "slut shaming" you're continuing to share with the forum?

I just saw the subject come up and added my 2 cents. Wasn't really responding to anyone in particular. Just think of it as you and your significant other are in a store trying to decide on a shirt. Then some random stranger just butts in and says, "I think the blue one would look much better".

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

And of course no one gets pregnant when they use birth control, especially when they use it perfectly. Oops:

Notice that even "sterilization" has a failure rate of 5% (woman sterilized) or 2% (man sterilized) over 10 years. And the pill has a failure rate of 3% over 10 years when used perfectly.

And in the real world, where people aren't machines, the pregnancy rates are MUCH higher than the "perfect use" rates for those who use contraception.

But don't let this information get in the way of your self-righteous delusions.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I can't help but notice that you didn't answer the question.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Who are these people that are constantly having abortions because they "don't care" about birth control? Are there a bunch of women out there that are having abortions every couple of months?

Also, you didn't answer the question.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
The lad thinks that women just flippantly decide on abortions. I'd wager he thinks of it as such:

'Oh, I'm pregnant? I'll flip the coin. Heads, birth. Tails, abortion.'

We aren't going to get an honest response from this fellow.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You wouldn't object if it was some Christian organization that didn't serve gays. You'd want them thrown in jail, disbarred, etc. Make room for those who do "what's proper". It wouldn't be "because they are Republicans" but we all know Democrats would never be the subject of that example. Each party has its values and targeting for those values means targeting the other party for... reasons.

Well just as you have your reasons, objecting to the slaughter of children and the selling of parts is leading Red States to disown PP. There can be a long story of "reasons", but ultimately it boils down to Republicans VS Democrats.

The divide in this country is growing stronger as an ineffectual government leads to building tension.
I completely agree. Nonetheless, if the state can only come up with 31 organizations that provide equivalent Medicaid services for the whole state, maybe they should just let this one slide and not knock off two of them?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I'm always a bit dismayed when choice advocates buy into the faux morality of the control freaks at all.

Women have a constitutional right to abortion under the conditions laid out in Roe & Casey. Period. Their reasons & circumstances are immaterial.

States have no right to prohibit that any more than they have the right to prohibit voting, gun ownership, religion or any constitutional right. The means used to achieve such prohibition are also immaterial whether that's done through intentionally prohibitive "medical" requirements or banning the operations of organizations that might provide them.

It's all doublespeak in pursuit of the goal of depriving women of their rights & should be viewed as such.

So since the Louisiana PP does not murder babies, defunding them isn't really depriving any womens rights.

Last edited:

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Do you even know what genocide is?

How can anyone argue with someone who purposely frames the argument to suit their needs? Easy! You don't!

I do.

"the deliberate killing of a large group of people"

"According to the Guttmacher Institute, since 1973, roughly 50 million legal induced abortions have been performed in the United States"

How can you argue with someone that redefines murder to suit their argument?

I wish the left would just be honest, come out and own it. You have no problems killing humans as long as that human fits your unprotected group status.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Feb 6, 2007
found some UK data
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/05may/Pages/repeat-abortion-termination-statistics.aspx

85 women had 7 or more abortions.

20-40% of abortions were repeat.

So in the UK, 34% of women seeking abortions had already had one previously, and 0.045% were people who had 7+... which, by my math, means that over 65% of abortion seekers weren't getting multiple abortions. Which seems to belie the contention that wide segments of women are treating abortion as a replacement for contraception. 85 people out of nearly 200,000 is a statistically insignificant amount.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I do.

"According to the Guttmacher Institute, since 1973, roughly 50 million legal induced abortions have been performed in the United States"

How can you argue with someone that redefines murder to suit their argument?

I wish the left would just be honest, come out and own it. You have no problems killing humans as long as that human fits your unprotected group status.

You are projecting again.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
michal1980 said:
I do.

We've been over this.

Before a specific stage of development, the fetus is no more than a bundle of generic stem cells.

Is bone marrow people? If fetus' in early development are, then so is bone marrow; donating blood is genocide, following that logic.

You make it sound as if there isn't a set fetus age, after which abortions are not carried out, barring a medical complication/emergency/what have you.

Over here in the UK, a fetus is rarely aborted before the age of 24 weeks, after which abortions are carried out only for the reasons stated above.

found some UK data
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/05may/Pages/repeat-abortion-termination-statistics.aspx

85 women had 7 or more abortions.

20-40% of abortions were repeat.

“seven, eight or even as many as nine terminations in their lifetime”

That's, what, 1.3 per decade, just for those women? No biggie.