Not one abortion by PP in Louisiana - ever, but LA Repubs want to defund it anyway

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
So you think that women who have 8+ abortions are evenly spacing them out from their first period all the way up to menopause? I'd argue that women getting that many abortions are probably getting them all within the space of their late-teens through late-20s / early-30s; probably a 15 year window at most. Which is actually a better argument for your side in terms of painting these women as irresponsible (and it's not unreasonable to make that claim about someone who can't seem to figure out other forms of birth control). An abortion every year or every other year is something that even most liberals would raise an eyebrow to and say "really? Come on, lady." But you're glossing over the key issue; this describes an insignificant portion of the overall population of women seeking abortion. 80/200,000 rounds to 0%; that is most assuredly "uncommon."

Agreed, but I still think it's funny that he thinks people only use birth control once every 4.2 years.

Feb 6, 2007
Louisiana is clearly playing political games with the reproductive health-care access of poor people, pretending that it's based on the "fight against abortion," which is patently false. And the Republican base is either too stupid, too uninformed, and/or too unprincipled to care.

I think the problem is that Republicans have a knee-jerk reaction to Planned Parenthood in the same way that Democrats have a knee-jerk reaction to AR-15s. No matter what services are provided or how much the state actually pays, Republicans see "Planned Parenthood" and they can't think of anything except "THEY SHOULDN'T EXIST, EVIL, BAD." You can't have a rational discussion with someone about the merits of something that they irrationally hate.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think the problem is that Republicans have a knee-jerk reaction to Planned Parenthood in the same way that Democrats have a knee-jerk reaction to AR-15s. No matter what services are provided or how much the state actually pays, Republicans see "Planned Parenthood" and they can't think of anything except "THEY SHOULDN'T EXIST, EVIL, BAD." You can't have a rational discussion with someone about the merits of something that they irrationally hate.

Great analogy!

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
So you think that women who have 8+ abortions are evenly spacing them out from their first period all the way up to menopause? I'd argue that women getting that many abortions are probably getting them all within the space of their late-teens through late-20s / early-30s; probably a 15 year window at most. Which is actually a better argument for your side in terms of painting these women as irresponsible (and it's not unreasonable to make that claim about someone who can't seem to figure out other forms of birth control). An abortion every year or every other year is something that even most liberals would raise an eyebrow to and say "really? Come on, lady." But you're glossing over the key issue; this describes an insignificant portion of the overall population of women seeking abortion. 80/200,000 rounds to 0%; that is most assuredly "uncommon."

33% of women that have an abortion, have another. And about that same percentage of women had at least one abortion. So about 1 in 10 women have had more then one abortion. Not so uncommon.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
So why don't we try to get this back on track:

Louisiana is clearly playing political games with the reproductive health-care access of poor people, pretending that it's based on the "fight against abortion," which is patently false. And the Republican base is either too stupid, too uninformed, and/or too unprincipled to care.

So pp has some government mandated monopoly on health care?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
This thread has devolved into a bunch of people arguing with a couple of mentally disabled individuals (Zstream, michal1980). Pat the idiots on the head and move on, you can't fix genetic stupidity.

See just like you have to call humans some sort of lump of cells to rationalize murder, you have to call people that you disagree with mentally disabled. How very progressive of you.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
So pp has some government mandated monopoly on health care?
No. PP is a Medicaid provider in the state of Louisiana. By federal law, the state cannot "discriminate" against ANY Medicaid provider without cause.

So are you advocating that PP be singled out and discriminated against by the state of Louisiana, in violation of federal law, for no reason other than that it's Planned Parenthood?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You know, sodomy is wrong according to my religion and a prostate exam is just another form of sodomy so...

I say we ban prostate exams. Of course that will never happen in a country with a bunch of sympathetic sodomizers so I think the best course of action should be to defund all clinics that receive public funding.

What say you michael?!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
33% of women that have an abortion, have another. And about that same percentage of women had at least one abortion. So about 1 in 10 women have had more then one abortion. Not so uncommon.

The claim was that it's common for "irresponsible" women to use abortion as a form of birth control. So far the best that you can come up with is less than 1 percent of women have an abortion every (using your short bus math) 4.2 years. I would assume these "irresponsible" women are having sex regularly, most likely multiple times a week seeing as how they are so irresponsible. They must be incredibly lucky if they're only getting pregnant once every 4.2 years.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What the hell kind of math is this?
Emotional math - it's all the rage. I'm pretty sure it's part of Common Core. Or was that Uncommon Core . . .

Excellent point.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
We've been over this.

Before a specific stage of development, the fetus is no more than a bundle of generic stem cells.

Is bone marrow people? If fetus' in early development are, then so is bone marrow; donating blood is genocide, following that logic.

You make it sound as if there isn't a set fetus age, after which abortions are not carried out, barring a medical complication/emergency/what have you.

Over here in the UK, a fetus is rarely aborted before the age of 24 weeks, after which abortions are carried out only for the reasons stated above.

“seven, eight or even as many as nine terminations in their lifetime”

That's, what, 1.3 per decade, just for those women? No biggie.
I have worked with people who are no more than a bundle of generic stem cells.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
See just like you have to call humans some sort of lump of cells to rationalize murder, you have to call people that you disagree with mentally disabled. How very progressive of you.

Not all people just you. Now run along and try not to say something stupid.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
I have worked with people who are no more than a bundle of generic stem cells.

You made me crack a wry smile. Ptooey.

Edit: Might as well have a response for Michael. It's pretty much just spanking a tired, half-dead crippled, one-legged goat at this point...But it's still kicking.

D'err.

It goes like this.

Sperm (not human) + egg (not human) -> fertilized egg (not human) -> clump of stem cells (not human) -> bigger clump of stem cells (not human) -> even bigger clump of stem cells (not human) -> huge clump of stem cells (not human) -> even more huge clump of stem cells (not human) -> stem cells begin to specialize (not human) -> some stem cells have specialized (not human) -> fetus' shape has become defined (not yet human) -> beginnings of organs begin to appear (possibly human?) -> organs created (human) -> fetus increases in size (human) -> birth (human).

Admittedly, I'm no anthropologist-biologist-type-science-man, but the above should be in the right ballpark.

Your position, is that a fertilized egg is human, despite nothing having happened to differentiate the sperm and egg from their state prior to the instant of fertilization.

If that's your qualification for something being human, bonemarrow is also human, if not moreso than a fertilized egg, due to it consisting of developed and mature (I.E, hayflick limit is in effect) cells.

That's why people are calling you soft-headed; you're ignoring every argument and going "NUHN! AH'M RIGHT! YUH ALL IS MURDUHUHS!" without any shred of logicial consistency nor reason.

Last edited:

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
You made me crack a wry smile. Ptooey.

Edit: Might as well have a response for Michael. It's pretty much just spanking a tired, half-dead crippled, one-legged goat at this point...But it's still kicking.

D'err.

It goes like this.

Sperm (not human) + egg (not human) -> fertilized egg (not human) -> clump of stem cells (not human) -> bigger clump of stem cells (not human) -> even bigger clump of stem cells (not human) -> huge clump of stem cells (not human) -> even more huge clump of stem cells (not human) -> stem cells begin to specialize (not human) -> some stem cells have specialized (not human) -> fetus' shape has become defined (not yet human) -> beginnings of organs begin to appear (possibly human?) -> organs created (human) -> fetus increases in size (human) -> birth (human).

Admittedly, I'm no anthropologist-biologist-type-science-man, but the above should be in the right ballpark.

Your position, is that a fertilized egg is human, despite nothing having happened to differentiate the sperm and egg from their state prior to the instant of fertilization.

If that's your qualification for something being human, bonemarrow is also human, if not moreso than a fertilized egg, due to it consisting of developed and mature (I.E, hayflick limit is in effect) cells.

That's why people are calling you soft-headed; you're ignoring every argument and going "NUHN! AH'M RIGHT! YUH ALL IS MURDUHUHS!" without any shred of logicial consistency nor reason.

heart beat starts around week 6. PP is harvesting organs of 20+ week old babies.

2/3 of abortions happen after week 6. Which by your standard you are now killing a human.

Still OK with it?

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
heart beat starts around week 6. PP is harvesting organs of 20+ week old babies.

2/3 of abortions happen after week 6. Which by your standard you are now killing a human.

Still OK with it?

As I said, 'twas a ballpark, which is why I was bein' general.

Sure, the heart beat may start at week six, but dude. It's the size of a lentil. It's not remotely developed yet. When does the frontal lobe finish development?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Not all people just you. Now run along and try not to say something stupid.

ahh when dehumanizing someone you disagree with fails, marginalize them.

sorry buddy, about half the country is pro-life. 20% think abortion should always be banned, and 40% think it should only be allowed in a few cases.

apparently a lot of people have a problem with murdering people. But please continue living in your liberal bubble world.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
As I said, 'twas a ballpark, which is why I was bein' general.

Sure, the heart beat may start at week six, but dude. It's the size of a lentil. It's not remotely developed yet. When does the frontal lobe finish development?

goal posts moved.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
ahh when dehumanizing someone you disagree with fails, marginalize them.

sorry buddy, about half the country is pro-life. 20% think abortion should always be banned, and 40% think it should only be allowed in a few cases.

apparently a lot of people have a problem with murdering people. But please continue living in your liberal bubble world.

You marginalize yourself. Now run along.

Oct 30, 2004
Lol - not funding for pp is sharia law. This crap just cracks me up. It's just not worth debating it with you as you're probably a leech on society like the rest.

If the rationale for opposing a program that saves the government money is religious mysticism, then the act of cutting the funding for it and increasing the costs to the taxpayers as a result is an act of imposing your religion on the populace. Hence, it's like instituting Christian Sharia law in those regards.

Yeah, Christians who want to force their religious beliefs on others are no better than the Muslims who want to impose Sharia law. Sorry if the truth hurts.

Oct 30, 2004
Ignorance is bliss with everyone on the forum, eh? Who gives a flying shit about personal responsibility. I'm out, you guys can keep on arguing about funding pp and a clump of cells as you call it.

How is having an abortion, at least one that you can pay for one your own, a failure of personal responsibility?