NOT HOT: Sonicblue (ReplayTV) BANKRUPT

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
This is NOT GOOD!!!

I may have to break down and buy a DirecTIVO :( IF they stop offering the ReplayTV programming guide.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: kermalou
i have an unopened box from Amazon, what to do?

1) Take a chance, are you a gambling man?
2) eBay it.
3) Return it to Amazon.com

Shadow2

Mar 23, 2003
I just returned my ReplayTv and decided to keep Tivo. I found replay to be very slow changing channels (even without cable box). Also, Tivo is releasing new software sometime this month which does allow you to network it without any hacking (usb->ethernet adaptor needed though). It'll also be adding a few other things. Just out of curiosity... for Tivo or ReplayTV did you guys decide to pay month or the one time? I have to make my decision within a few days...

gonzo2k

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
webpitstop.com
Seems like another case where "lifetime subscription" means life of the company, not the user.
At least some 80 year olds (and people hit by lightning) got full use from their subscription!

sat4fun

May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: gonzo2k
Seems like another case where "lifetime subscription" means life of the company, not the user. At least some 80 year olds (and people hit by lightning) got full use from their subscription!

Never was the life of the user, it was the life of the unit.

sat4fun

May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: jamesd1343
anyone know what that means for the sonic govideo dvd player wit hteh hard drive and ethernet due out in spring??

I am waiting for this also. GoVideo has already been sold to Opta Systems. I bet that we see this.

DerProfi

Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: sat4fun
Originally posted by: jamesd1343
anyone know what that means for the sonic govideo dvd player wit hteh hard drive and ethernet due out in spring??
I am waiting for this also. GoVideo has already been sold to Opta Systems. I bet that we see this.
For those in search of a better source of information on this, the ReplayTV board at AVS Forum is excellent.

SliderBob

Dec 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Shadow2
I just returned my ReplayTv and decided to keep Tivo. I found replay to be very slow changing channels (even without cable box). Also, Tivo is releasing new software sometime this month which does allow you to network it without any hacking (usb->ethernet adaptor needed though). It'll also be adding a few other things. Just out of curiosity... for Tivo or ReplayTV did you guys decide to pay month or the one time? I have to make my decision within a few days...

I went MONTHLY...thank goodness I did :)

Rab

Oct 11, 1999
Just out of curiosity... for Tivo or ReplayTV did you guys decide to pay month or the one time? I have to make my decision within a few days...

Monthly, on both.

douglassirk

Sep 8, 2001
never understood why anyone would want a replay tv or a standalone tivo in the first place?

directivos are great tho.... you get exact digital stream recording (resulting in an hour a gig on average at PERFECT exact stream picture and 5.1 sound if it has that) and its so hackable its not funny....

you can up a directivo to 240 hours in like 20 minutes (i know i did :) and right now that would cost you like 150 bucks for 240 freakin perfect stream copy hours :)

with an hdtv...... trust me the diff between mpeg/analog/standalone devices like replay and the real satellite stream recording a directivo gives you, is mindboggling..... the standalones are pretty unwatchable even at the highest setting....

tuan121

Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffMD
sonic blue is dead. huge debts, no money, and shareholders are threatening lawsuits because some how sonic blue turned a company that was makeing money to one in huge debt in such a short amount of time.

personaly I say screw tivo and replay, I rent my PVR from time warner, I pay less monthly then tivo and replay users do, didnt have to buy a box, I get ONSITE repair service/replacement for however long I rent the box, setting up shows to record is twice as easy, I can watch another show while one is recording, or record 2 shows at the same time.

oh yea, digital cable channels are saved in their original form, no recompression. this offers significantly higher quality then tivo or replay.

Sure I cant save anything I record, but then what IS on tv worth saving?? If there is actually a movie that i want to save, i'll buy it on dvd where I can see it in wide screen.

I totally agree!!!

PKPunk

Feb 26, 2001
I've been a replay user for over 3 years now and love it. I find that tivo and replay are both good products with my bias to replay of course. however I think that tivo is not far behind replay, I think both companies will eventually go out of business. As of right now alot of mainstream customers don't know what these machines do, and what many (stupid) people think is that these are glorified VCR's. I've read articles on the web and they have all said both these companies will suffer as cable companies start to offer pvr's and as customers learn what these devices do they will want a easily accessible media to save shows on, which replay and tivo do not offer. I think the future will lay in pvr's with built in dvd-r's or sat. dish pvr's, the only way pvr's will survive is by combining with other mainstream products, oh and by the by, it's rumored and I'd bet on this, that the next x box will feature a built in pvr.

Oh and my flame to tivo customer. With a replay using a ethernet connection you can go to Replay web remote. at this site you will be given a picture of a remote control which you can use to fully control all replay fuctions via the internet...I'd like to see your tivo do that! Yea it's kind of a lame idea but it's a great way to bug whoever is watching your replay, this only works on models with a ethernet port and it can only be accessed from the local network. to use it you'll need your replay's ip addess, you can get this info by pressing 411 then replay zones with your remote, you'll be give your replays system info and at the bottom of the screen you'll see your machine's ip address.

DerProfi

Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: douglassirk
never understood why anyone would want a replay tv or a standalone tivo in the first place?

directivos are great tho.... you get exact digital stream recording (resulting in an hour a gig on average at PERFECT exact stream picture and 5.1 sound if it has that) and its so hackable its not funny....

you can up a directivo to 240 hours in like 20 minutes (i know i did :) and right now that would cost you like 150 bucks for 240 freakin perfect stream copy hours :)

with an hdtv...... trust me the diff between mpeg/analog/standalone devices like replay and the real satellite stream recording a directivo gives you, is mindboggling..... the standalones are pretty unwatchable even at the highest setting....
Um.... aren't you forgetting that not everyone wants/needs/can get DirecTV or HDTV? Ditto for Digital Cable PVR service mentioned by another poster. Not everyone can get digital cable in the first place, and very few digital cable subscribers have access to PVR service.

There are two things I always say when I come across a TiVo/RTV pissing match, and it probably applies to your post as well:
- Any PVR is better than no PVR. There's no going back to regular TV once you've become accustomed to a Pause button!
- As goes one manufacturer, so go all manufacturers. Anyone who thinks financial problems and lawsuits will be limited to only one of the players in the PVR market is fooling themself.

aperry

May 9, 2000
Originally posted by: PKPunk
I think the future will lay in pvr's with built in dvd-r's or sat. dish pvr's
The "future" is already here, at least for the satellite dishes. DirecTV offers a DirecTivo system (requires a $4.99 monthly fee to use PVR, or at least I think that is the price).

Dish Network has THREE different PVR's (501, 508, and 721), plus they are planning on releasing a 921 that will have HDTV recording capability built in to it. Dish Network does not charge an additional monthly fee for their PVR's.

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
so is t here any hope for replaytv service being picked up by anyone else????

Rab

Oct 11, 1999
so is t here any hope for replaytv service being picked up by anyone else????

That will be up to whomever picks it up at auction, D&M looks like a frontrunner, though I'd like to see MS (and their deep pockets) throw their hat into the ring.

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
I'm just waiting for the goodies to be liquidated. My empeg for example, got it about a year ago for 1/4th the original price. Without any doubt, the single best piece of stereo equipment I have ever owned. I wonder if the Riot's will start selling for $100 a piece or anything?

TrayjikMayjik

Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: PKPunk
With a replay using a ethernet connection you can go to Replay web remote. at this site you will be given a picture of a remote control which you can use to fully control all replay fuctions via the internet...I'd like to see your tivo do that!

OMG, i totally never knew that. Is there any way I can see choices on my screen? say like if i wanna schedule a recording? if so, this is way better than myreplaytv.com, since the changes there arent updated immediately. sorry for the OT comment.

I had a hs2000 almost 3 years ago, picked it up for around 250. Never had a problem with it all and I even upgraded it. i decided to downgrade back and ebayed it on november. to my surprise, i auctioned it off for 350. so basically i made 100 bux from this unit and i even got to use it for over 2 years. I used the money to jump on a 4504 deal. used that money from ebaying and shelled out less than 50 bux extra to get the lifetime service, not a bad price for a huge upgrade. So far replay has been nothing but good for me. Can't be said for the CS deptartment. So i'm thinking how this chapter 11 will actually affect people like me who have everything settled and lifetime service? I highly doubt that who ever buys out sonicblue will cancel the channel guide service, that's one of the backbones of PVRs. If anything, the buyer company will might change (raise) prices of units and services, since the service fee is still under TIVO's (monthly and lifetime), correct? And hopefully the CS dept will be alot better. I mean, how can it be any worse, hahaha. Nonetheless, I'm still happy I bought the unit and paid lifetime

gothaggis

Sep 25, 2001
ATTENTION REPLAY TV USERS

has anyone been able to cancel their monthly subscribtion???? I called their sales office, they gave me a number...I called that number, that number gave me a different number to call....(recording)...i called that number and IT IS ALWAYS BUSY. ALWAYS.

are they trying to screw us by not allowing us to cancel our monthy subscriptions???? WTF. If anyone has done this successfully, please post the phone # you called. Thanks