NOT HOT: Sonicblue (ReplayTV) BANKRUPT

fenrir

Apr 6, 2001
"D&M is the parent company of well-known audio equipment makers Denon Ltd. and Marantz Japan Inc"

I think it is in good hands. You know these guys are not going under financially.

Matt

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
I wouldnt sweat it, they sold off the Replay division to Denon, and Denon has some of the best customer support anywhere. I cant wait to see what they do with the new models.

DeeTees

Jan 3, 2002
They have not filed yet. (As of 1:20PM PT.)

Any plans to sell off assets must be approved by the bankruptcy court after filing of the petition in bankruptcy and the approval of the reorganization plan under Chapeter 11.

Right now we will just have to wait and see.

My suggestion however is do not buy any new sonicblue merchandise until after the bankruptcy. There will be no warranty unless the purchaser from the bankrupt estate decides to extend a warranty as a cost of maintaining good will for the brand.

SliderBob

Dec 8, 2001
I still love my ReplayTv...I can download programs from the unit and save to dvd. You cannot do that with Tivo or UltimateTV--I wish you could though :-/

Raybies

Jul 6, 2000
Q] still love my ReplayTv...I can download programs from the unit and save to dvd. You cannot do that with Tivo or UltimateTV--I wish you could though :-/[/quote]

Yes you can save to DVD with Tivo, you just have to do a little hacking. See the forums at www.dealdatabase.com.

lungster

Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: AAjax
I wouldnt sweat it, they sold off the Replay division to Denon, and Denon has some of the best customer support anywhere. I cant wait to see what they do with the new models.

The only problem is that the sale is not final. All they have is "nonbinding letter of intent". Time will tell.

sat4fun

May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Raybies
Q] still love my ReplayTv...I can download programs from the unit and save to dvd. You cannot do that with Tivo or UltimateTV--I wish you could though :-/
Yes you can save to DVD with Tivo, you just have to do a little hacking. See the forums at www.dealdatabase.com.[/quote]

Yes, the Tivo can do wonders if you want to spend $$ and time, but who has that. Some people like out of the box functionality. I have a hack list a mile long. Last time I looked that network adapter cost $80 or so. Don't worry, this is the second time Replay changed hands. My Ultimate is still running strong and they were disbanded. Hell, all you need is a guide.

runnerb

Dec 6, 2000
The new company is also assuming 5 million in liabilities. Does this liability include the rebate $$$$...?
Lets hope so. Just talked to rebate center and latest word they have is they are still gonna honor the rebates.

stultus

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2000
I've used both, and while I think the Tivo has better software, I'd switch back to replay in a second if it meant not paying monthly fees :)

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: stultus
I've used both, and while I think the Tivo has better software, I'd switch back to replay in a second if it meant not paying monthly fees :)

Whats the difference they both have a monthly fee or one time lifetime fee.

I'll keep my ReplayTV....

tommyz

May 6, 2001
I have the ReplayTV and have used the Tivo. I will stick with the ReplayTV. Even if the company does not support the ReplayTV, you can bet someone will be supporting it on the Open Software Market(Maybe better)

Tom

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
damn, and i just picked up a replay unit yesterday, damnit waht to do, waht to do

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
I had a Tivo but now I have a replay. As someone mentioned, the tivo has better software but the Replay gives me more options. I put my replay on my network, do all live updates via my cable modem and am able to transfer the mpg files to my computer and convert to vcd. I also think the www.myreplaytv.com feature is pretty cool which allows you to record programs and delete programs from your unit via the www.

unsped

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2000
i have a fully hacked series1 tivo, 80gb, ethernet, tivoweb, extraction etc..

just got a replaytv 40hr 5040 2 days ago.

my impressions.

replaytv has superior hardware, it just does everything about the box is awesome.

however the interface is TERRIBLE

end result, im RMA'ing the replaytv back to jandr ... tivo is MUCH more intuitive and seems friendly, the replaytv is cumbersome and cold.

rugby

Oct 11, 2001
ReplayTV isn't going anywhere. ALl you need is the guide data anyways once you activate.

My 5040 is getting a brain transplant with my brand-new 175gb hard drive from CompUSA. Just in time for the Farscape marathon coming up.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
sonic blue is dead. huge debts, no money, and shareholders are threatening lawsuits because some how sonic blue turned a company that was makeing money to one in huge debt in such a short amount of time.

personaly I say screw tivo and replay, I rent my PVR from time warner, I pay less monthly then tivo and replay users do, didnt have to buy a box, I get ONSITE repair service/replacement for however long I rent the box, setting up shows to record is twice as easy, I can watch another show while one is recording, or record 2 shows at the same time.

oh yea, digital cable channels are saved in their original form, no recompression. this offers significantly higher quality then tivo or replay.

Sure I cant save anything I record, but then what IS on tv worth saving?? If there is actually a movie that i want to save, i'll buy it on dvd where I can see it in wide screen.

Raybies

Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
I had a Tivo but now I have a replay. As someone mentioned, the tivo has better software but the Replay gives me more options. I put my replay on my network, do all live updates via my cable modem and am able to transfer the mpg files to my computer and convert to vcd. I also think the www.myreplaytv.com feature is pretty cool which allows you to record programs and delete programs from your unit via the www.

I can also do all this on my Tivo. Yes I needed to install a network card first but after that I have Tivoweb to control it from anywhere I have Internet access including my GPRS connected PDA, I can extract files with TyTool, I can get updates thru my broadband access.