Not even the so-called "smart people" are smart

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Today's world of standing by and filming it on your phone would like to have a word with you....

also, this is why you put land mines in your yard. Not only does it help with rodents, it's a great theft deterrent.
Well it's true, standing by in a hope of hitting more likes or chance of your video being shared by top news media is to some retards more compelling than saving someone, helping them, calling police.
Other than that, I don't understand extensive home security, I mean if you live in an area that's infested with crime, robberies, violence and so on, instead of getting the fuck out of there you buy more guns and you rebuild it into military fortress. And if you don't live in an area that is crime ridden, the odds of you being attacked at your doorstep are practically zero. That's why asked where does OP get this shit.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Well it's true, standing by in a hope of hitting more likes or chance of your video being shared by top news media is to some retards more compelling than saving someone, helping them, calling police.
Other than that, I don't understand extensive home security, I mean if you live in an area that's infested with crime, robberies, violence and so on, instead of getting the fuck out of there you buy more guns and you rebuild it into military fortress. And if you don't live in an area that is crime ridden, the odds of you being attacked at your doorstep are practically zero. That's why asked where does OP get this shit.

It's a product sold via FUD to people who are gripped by fear or ignorance. Most people who live in crime-infested areas don't have the money to spend on home security systems (not that they're effective anyhow).

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
LOL Joke's on you.

My front door is just a painted on facsimile of the actual door around the side.

If anyone can't figure it out they can stand on the porch and bleed to death for all I care. Idiots.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dude, seriously, where do you go for this bs? I mean have you just made it up? Seen B-type movie recently?

Today on Buzzfeed: Frantic woman screams at neighbor's front door, you won't believe what happens next! :D

Reactions: PottedMeat

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Not even the so-called "smart people" are smart

Nobody is everything-smart. And even pop-culture intelligence is a joke. So you score 140 on your IQ test, so what? Does that guarantee you a $100k/year job? Does that automatically mean you have an awesome work ethic & will study hard? Nah. Plus, to be really smart, you have to narrow-focus. Pretty much, if you want to be the best at something, you have to focus on one thing exclusively. Look at Michael Jordon...didn't do so good at baseball & other activities, but was super awesome at basketball. And even then, he explains his success like this:

Ive-missed-more-than.jpg

Goes back to that Einstein quote...everyone is smart in different ways:

Fish-climbing-a-tree.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Not everybody.

Or rather, I must know/work with some people that are smart in utterly useless or exceedingly well-hidden ways.

I knew I was going to get called out on that. Fortunately, I came prepared :D

aftHEGN.jpg

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I've got three dogs. That blows the shiz out of the OP's scenario. If his proposed situation were to happen at my house I'd be trying to keep the door shut so dogs don't get out and bite someone. And I don't believe the guys are going to want to kick my door down upon hearing that cacophony of barking, snarling and growling dogs.

Fern

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
The average adult male can kick in a door, deadbolt included, if they try hard enough. You are not going to get beaten/robbed/killed by home invaders using a damsel in distress as a ploy.

Also: robbers don't invade your house while you're there, they wait until you leave and clean the place out before you get back.

Also: the odds of you ending up in a runaway hotel fire in 2017 are so rare as to not even consider it when making plans for your hotel stay.

When I read about this it was something that was used. There are many ploys out there. One involves putting tape on your window. If you remove it they know your home. Others involve making you get out of your car to remove something from the windshield. Then BAM you're a victim.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Exhibit A:

You hear at your door a frantic woman yelling, crying and screaming to let her in, there's a man after her.

Do you,

A: Run to the door and let her in?

or

B: Keep the door shut and call the police?

If you answered A, congratulations. About five men ran into your house and you just got mugged and/or killed.

Case in point: Even the smartest among us are not so smart.

Admit it. You would have let her in. :D

Always remember that most crimes happen at the front door.

Here's something else. Never stay above the 7th floor ( I think it was could be 5th or 8th) of a hotel. If there is a fire the ladder can't reach that high. And never stay on the first floor. That's where the devil hides and steals your shit! It's a quick get away.
Would you let me in if I was yelling and crying and screaming, John? :(

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
When I read about this it was something that was used. There are many ploys out there. One involves putting tape on your window. If you remove it they know your home. Others involve making you get out of your car to remove something from the windshield. Then BAM you're a victim.
Guess how I know you're old enough to read Reader's Digest?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

I never answer the door unless I am expecting something. Just like the author of the book who knows a thing or two about security. It's a good read. You'll learn how to hot wire a car that's been built prior to 1999.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd just call the police, then maybe go to the door to try to see what's going on in more details while trying not to be seen. But I doubt i can take on 5 guys on my own so I'd probably have to wait and let the coppers deal with it. I'd feel bad for the woman but this is one of those situations where it's not worth trying to be the hero and best to get help. So I go there, I might manage to bash one of the guys over the head with a crow bar, MAYBE get two, by that point the other 3 are going to jump me, then beat me with the crow bar and then continue to beat the woman. She won't have enough time to run away so I can't even consider it a sacrifice, we'll both get beat up.

Now if it was one guy maybe I'd grab the crow bar and go settle things. But even then, I can swing and hit the girl by accident because it's not like the guy is going to be holding still.

Either way I would call the police before taking any kind of action. At least if I fail, I know they're on the way. They would perhaps have special instructions too, maybe they'd tell me to see if I can intervene, or maybe tell me not to.

Really it's hard to tell what I'd do without being at the heat of the moment. I'd want to go do something, but I think I'd realize I'm best to just wait for cops to arrive.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
I'd just call the police, then maybe go to the door to try to see what's going on in more details while trying not to be seen. But I doubt i can take on 5 guys on my own so I'd probably have to wait and let the coppers deal with it. I'd feel bad for the woman but this is one of those situations where it's not worth trying to be the hero and best to get help. So I go there, I might manage to bash one of the guys over the head with a crow bar, MAYBE get two, by that point the other 3 are going to jump me, then beat me with the crow bar and then continue to beat the woman. She won't have enough time to run away so I can't even consider it a sacrifice, we'll both get beat up.

Now if it was one guy maybe I'd grab the crow bar and go settle things. But even then, I can swing and hit the girl by accident because it's not like the guy is going to be holding still.

Either way I would call the police before taking any kind of action. At least if I fail, I know they're on the way. They would perhaps have special instructions too, maybe they'd tell me to see if I can intervene, or maybe tell me not to.

Really it's hard to tell what I'd do without being at the heat of the moment. I'd want to go do something, but I think I'd realize I'm best to just wait for cops to arrive.
This is clever answer, ofc you don't intervene if you know danger is way over what you could handle.
He would not let you in because he had read car hot-wiring manual which included on-topic advice on what to do if you hear someone screaming.