Not drinking 3 or 4 days a week for liver health

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Do you think someone that has a smoke or two every night is addicted to cigarettes?

Not to get involved in this, but yes, probably. Addiction has little to do with the amount you consume and much more with the reason. If you're having that daily couple of beers because you need that daily couple of beers, you very well may be an alcoholic. If I don't get a can of coke in me, I crave it and don't feel good till I do. Does that make me addicted to caffeine? Technically, it pretty much does.

If the person in your example can have a couple cigarettes today, skip a couple weeks, and have a couple smokes... doesn't seem to be an addiction. But if they need those smokes to function....

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
This is a hugely variable subject that you can't apply blanket rules to IMO. Especially the rule 4 units per day for men.
I did the dry January and have drank at all through the week since. Well, technically Jan 3 through Feb 5 :)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have coffee almost every day, and I crave it, even though I don't even like the taste that much, it's practically a habbit, and I find I "need" it to wake up.

I sometimes specifically crave Tim Horton's coffee too. I'd say that's a sign of addiction. Not a bad addiction, like I'm not going to go on crazy withdrawals if I don't have it, but I still want it.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'd consider that mild alcoholism. You shouldn't need alcohol, at all.

If you drink alcohol every day of the week you are an alcoholic.

Bullshit.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/alcohol-abuse

Alcohol abuse is defined as a pattern of drinking that results in one or more of the following situations within a 12-month period:

Failure to fulfill major work, school, or home responsibilities
Drinking in situations that are physically dangerous, such as while driving a car or operating machinery
Having recurring alcohol-related legal problems, such as being arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or for physically hurting someone while drunk
Continued drinking despite having ongoing relationship problems that are caused or worsened by the drinking.
Alcoholism, or alcohol dependence, is the most severe form of alcohol abuse. It is a chronic disease characterized by the consumption of alcohol at a level that interferes with physical and mental health and with family and social responsibilities. An alcoholic will continue to drink despite serious health, family, or legal problems.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking
Low Risk for Developing an Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD):

As defined by NIAAA, for women, low-risk drinking is no more than 3 drinks on any single day and no more than 7 drinks per week. For men, it is defined as no more than 4 drinks on any single day and no more than 14 drinks per week. NIAAA research shows that only about 2 in 100 people who drink within these limits have an AUD. Even within these limits, you can have problems if you drink too quickly or have other health issues.
So...one could argue that at twice the consumption you claim is a problem, you have a 2% chance of being right.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Do you think someone that has a smoke or two every night is addicted to cigarettes?

More so to the act of smoking than anything. Like I said, it's almost a routine and something they *like* doing rather than a physical addiction or feel like they *have* to do. A lot of people stop smoking except when they go to a bar once or twice a month. That's not addiction. It's a craving. Similar but still different.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Alcohol abuse isn't required to be an alcoholic.

And in my experience, I've never met someone that drinks every night and but only has one.

QnD5JcG.png

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
It's a mistake to assume all alcohol is the same. Between the sulfites, cogeners, nitrosamines, etc. Alcohol for sure causes liver cancer, heart disease, etc.

A European drinking preservative free red wine with dinner is a bit different than slamming 2 bud lights everyday at bed time.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It's always amusing to me how willing many non drinkers are willing to slap the alcohollic label on someone. Deny it? You know that's the first sign of an alcoholic. It's bullshit. I went a year without imbibing just to prove I could. It was actually a month or two past a year when my wife asked me if I wanted a beer and I realized I could again. Hell yes! I like beer (no light, lite or, ultra swill). I usually have a beer or two when I come home from work. I don't 'need ' it, I like it.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
There's a clear difference between a few drinks and being an alcoholic.

But warning signs exist.

Any time you describe your drinking habits with words like "need" or "hard to stop" or "try to have fewer" or anything related, you might not be an alcoholic per se, but you are very likely exhibiting warning signs. The dangers of alcoholism are well documented.

I'm the last person to demonize people that drink alcohol. I love drinking. Responsibility is the name of the game though.

And please note that I am separating "alcoholics" from "people that drink alcohol."

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Alcohol abuse isn't required to be an alcoholic.

And in my experience, I've never met someone that drinks every night and but only has one.

So where do you draw the line? What if 6 nights a week I really do only have one drink and then maybe on a Saturday night I have 2? What if I only have a drink 5 nights a week?

Because that's pretty much how it is for me. I don't watch TV or play video games most nights after I get kids tucked into bed. I'll sit down and have a glass of wine or mix a drink and talk with my wife about her day or what we need to for schedules over the next few. It's one drink and then we are off to bed.

Sorry to shatter your perceptions. People have their routines and things they enjoy. Just because it's a drink at night for me doesn't mean I need a label applied. Surely you have something you more often daily than you don't do? If watching the news before you go to bed is "your thing" are you a news addict?

Clearly there are people that do have addiction problems and I don't discount the serious nature of the topic. But somebody that has a beer with dinner or a glass of wine after kids are in bed is not one of them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not sure why this is such a binary distinction. Though from the country that gave us temperance I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Somehow if you're American and have a drink or two every day you're this guy:

swsb_character_fact_barney_550x960.png

But elsewhere in the civilized world it's more like:

2B3F18AE00000578-3192268-Cheers_A_cheeky_chappie_raises_his_glass-a-48_1439223976873.jpg

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
It's always amusing to me how willing many non drinkers are willing to slap the alcohollic label on someone. Deny it? You know that's the first sign of an alcoholic. It's bullshit. I went a year without imbibing just to prove I could. It was actually a month or two past a year when my wife asked me if I wanted a beer and I realized I could again. Hell yes! I like beer (no light, lite or, ultra swill). I usually have a beer or two when I come home from work. I don't 'need ' it, I like it.

Sounds like you tried to quit cold turkey and made it one year but then it all went to shit and you started drinking again.

/sarcasm

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
If you are struggling with moderation, you should end it for 2-3 months and clear your head. It will give you better perspective on things.

Alcohol was one of the worse addictions and substances I had in the past.

Even up until couple of months ago, I liked having a beer or 2 on Friday or Sat but I stopped that all together now.

# of reason why I no longer drink
- I've been working hard on myself to lose weight. Even 1-2 beers a week prevents that.
- I've been better at recognizing myself/feelings and emotion as I lost weight. Noticed that buzz itself lasts about 20-30 min and it doesn't make me feel very good at all. Feeling after the buzz is even worse. Morning time, forget it, feel like crap (even if I get enough sleep).
- Alcohol is a poison. It's not meant to go into your body and mostly does more damage than good.

At this point, I have a beer or maybe a glass of wine RARELY and keep it to minimum. Maybe once every 1-2 months.

May 11, 2008
Your liver is a basically a blood filter and an energy storage device that is constantly renewed. If you task it to much, it cannot be renewed properly. You will have less energy, a liver that filters blood not as good as it should do and blood filled with stuff you do not want in your blood as it can affect other critical parts of your body. There is reason people age faster who have an unhealthy life style.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Yea I used to drink regularly 1-2 beers every night, maybe a glass of wine or two if I wasn't feeling the beer. Then I was told I had non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in July 2015. So I literally quit right then, changed my diet, started exercising and lost 55 pounds (from 210 to 155). My liver tests are now normal. Now that I've gotten healthier, I now have a beer or glass of wine from time to time, maybe once or twice a month. If drinking every night defined me as an alcoholic according to some, how was I able to just stop cold turkey with no issues, and now have a drink from time to time without falling off the wagon? I'd say it's because I'm not an alcoholic! An alcoholic would not be able to just quit that easy, and an alcoholic would not be able to just have a drink from time to time.

I think lableling people who have a beer or two a night an alcoholic is unfair to actual alcoholics who are strugging with recovery. Those are people who've had real life and health destroying issues with alcohol and still struggle daily to stay sober. Grouping some dude who has a beer a night with them is a slap in their face.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm not sure why this is such a binary distinction. Though from the country that gave us temperance I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Somehow if you're American and have a drink or two every day you're this guy:

swsb_character_fact_barney_550x960.png

But elsewhere in the civilized world it's more like:

2B3F18AE00000578-3192268-Cheers_A_cheeky_chappie_raises_his_glass-a-48_1439223976873.jpg

We're a binary society in general. You basically don't have a voice unless you chose one of two sides.

You're either a democrat or a republican. Moderates are lost in the shuffle.

You're either anti-gay or a gay supporter. Nothing in the middle of "Whatever they want to do, doesn't bother me".

You are either fat or skinny. Nobody is "normal" anymore.

You are either a gun grabber or a flag bearer for the NRA. There's no middle ground of guns are ok, but with appropriate restrictions.

And it goes on and on. Moderation is a lost art in our society. Both the application and the acceptance of.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
We're a binary society in general. You basically don't have a voice unless you chose one of two sides.

You're either anti-gay or a gay supporter. Nothing in the middle of "Whatever they want to do, doesn't bother me".

You are either a gun grabber or a flag bearer for the NRA. There's no middle ground of guns are ok, but with appropriate restrictions.

And it goes on and on. Moderation is a lost art in our society. Both the application and the acceptance of.

781360.jpg

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

Yea your liver is either bogged down or happily maintaining homeostasis. Oh wait thats actually how it is.

You don't feel it when your liver is sick. There is no stomach pain, no weakness, etc. Maybe some belly fat, but that can just be attributed to something else like stress or diet without realizing its your liver. Chronic liver inflammation = liver cancer. Thats just how it is. Why bother drinking. There's enough shit out there as it is that is bad for your liver.

The leading cause of liver cancer is cirrhosis due to either hepatitis B, hepatitis C, or alcohol.[1] In 2013, 300,000 deaths from liver cancer were due to hepatitis B, 343,000 to hepatitis C and 92,000 to alcohol.

In addition to virus-related cirrhosis described above, other causes of cirrhosis can lead to HCC. Alcohol intake correlates with risk of HCC, and the risk is far greater in individuals with an alcohol-induced cirrhotic liver. There are a few disorders that are known to cause cirrhosis and lead to cancer, including hereditary hemochromatosis and primary biliary cirrhosis.[17]

High magnification micrograph of a liver with cirrhosis. Trichrome stain. The most common cause of cirrhosis in the Western world is alcohol abuse - the cause of cirrhosis in this case.

Sorry folks welcome to the real world. There is a reason a doctor will never condone drinking. There is also a reason for the warning label on the side. But you looked really cool with your underwear on your head while singing taylor swift, i'll give you that.

In reality combined with aging, this is a life long thing. You might need 30 beers a week to damage your liver in your 20's but if you choose to do that, by your 50's its probably far less. All factors matter from diet, to age, to lifestyle, etc. My opinion is that its not possible to be too healthy. I focus better, have more energy, etc. when I am physically healthy. Drinking alcohol is kinda dumb. Not that I won't drink, its just that drinking at home is literally one of the dumbest things ever as is using it as any sort of emotional coping aid. Toughen the fuck up.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I think lableling people who have a beer or two a night an alcoholic is unfair to actual alcoholics who are strugging with recovery. Those are people who've had real life and health destroying issues with alcohol and still struggle daily to stay sober. Grouping some dude who has a beer a night with them is a slap in their face.

Yeah, true alcoholism is a terrible, pathological disease. My wife has had family members smuggle in "gatorade" that was actually colored vodka to patients. She's had patients disconnect their IV's, leave the hospital, walk across the street and buy beer at the gas station. Other alcoholics are drinking before work, drinking at lunch, drinking after work. Hiding their consumption from their family. Ect. It's a family and life destroying affliction.

There are progressive stages that get to that point. Dependency (I need to have that drink!) is certainly one of them. But it really comes down to a lot of genetic and psychological factors. Certain personality types are far more prone/vulnerable to addictive behaviors than others. That could be food, pot, alcohol, whatever. Other people are not that way. It's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

It's an incredibly complex topic that can't be painted black or white.