North Korea : 'Trump is a psychopath' may pre-emptively strike to distract from problems at home

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
It's bad when NK is right about how deranged the POTUS is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tive-strike/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.b0a1451b55ac

A commentary published in a North Korean state newspaper Thursday calls President Trump a “psychopath” — and suggests that he would launch a preemptive strike on North Korea to distract from domestic political problems.

The accusations, published in government mouthpiece Rodong Sinmun, come at an especially fraught time. Just two days earlier, Trump had condemned the “brutality of the North Korean regime” after the death of Otto Warmbier, an American student who was detained in North Korea for nearly a year and a half.

Warmbier's death has considerably strained tensions between Washington and Pyongyang, which have long been at loggerheads over North Korea's nuclear missile program and the installation of a controversial American missile defense system in South Korea.

The Rodong Sinmun commentary suggests that the U.S. government is suffering from its own crisis, which could include “the impeachment of Trump,” and that the president is now considering a preemptive strike against North Korea because of his “tough situation” at home. The commentary asserts that President Harry Truman entered the Korean War in 1950 in a bid to distract from economic problems in the United States and that President Bill Clinton launched a military attack on Iraq in 1998 when faced with an investigation of his sex life.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't doubt that anyone denies that this very thought has, and certainly will continue to cross Hair Fuhrer's mind, but I see this as DPRNK projecting their reasoning behind a possible pre-emptive ...."strike" of their own.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I do have to wonder about NK and what they hope to gain by goading Trump...there's a non-zero chance he *might* attack NK over something, especially a personal slight...that wouldn't be good for anyone, but especially not NK!

Maybe they are trying to get the US and China into a scrap (which is also possible without their help).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I do have to wonder about NK and what they hope to gain by goading Trump...there's a non-zero chance he *might* attack NK over something, especially a personal slight...that wouldn't be good for anyone, but especially not NK!

Maybe they are trying to get the US and China into a scrap (which is also possible without their help).

Do you think China is going to go to the map with the USA, on behalf of NK? I rather doubt that.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Getting the US to preemptively strike NK would end up hurting us more than them in the long run. If you are NK or Russia, the short term loss might be worth it.

Trump is dumb enough to fall for such a trap.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
No psychopath. No psychopath. YOU'RE THE PSYCHOPATH!!!

trump_hands-1144x601.jpg

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Do you think China is going to go to the map with the USA, on behalf of NK? I rather doubt that.

No idea, I just know that they stand to be affected. And then there's the whole weird thing about "Face" with China (my wife grew up in Harbin so I get some first-hand culture lessons!)....though honestly I don't know how much that figures in modern China. You figure they are not going to want millions of starving people streaming in terror over their border no matter what.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No idea, I just know that they stand to be affected. And then there's the whole weird thing about "Face" with China (my wife grew up in Harbin so I get some first-hand culture lessons!)....though honestly I don't know how much that figures in modern China. You figure they are not going to want millions of starving people streaming in terror over their border no matter what.

for sure they don't want that, but I imagine the millions of starving North Koreans flooding into China would pale next to the 10s of millions now-unemployed, starving Chinese that suddenly lose their jobs making goods for the USA. China needs the US way more than the US needs China.

I think the problem is that no one (China, S Korea, USA, Russia, Japan) wants to take the blame for NK, when we are all probably somewhat equally culpable for how that situation turned out. Everyone also has their own reasons to be terrified of the fallout of what a new war in that region means and no one wants to be responsible for it. Regardless, I don't see the USA and China being equal partners in what that would mean but no matter what--China is probably going to be more fucked.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
When I was a kid I took swim lessons one summer at a public pool and there was a special needs kid in the class who would bully everyone. I would call him a retard under my breath and finally he punched me and when I tried to run away I slipped and bashed up my knee and elbow pretty good and had to leave the class. I don't know why but these Trump and Lil' Kim stories always remind me of that day.

Reactions: ivwshane

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
When I was a kid I took swim lessons one summer at a public pool and there was a special needs kid in the class who would bully everyone. I would call him a retard under my breath and finally he punched me and when I tried to run away I slipped and bashed up my knee and elbow pretty good and had to leave the class. I don't know why but these Trump and Lil' Kim stories always remind me of that day.

Wow! I think you just came up with the best descriptor of trump I have ever heard; a special needs bully.

I will be using that. Thanks!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

so...with which one do you identify?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It's bad when NK is right about how deranged the POTUS is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tive-strike/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.b0a1451b55ac
The Rodong Sinmun commentary suggests that the U.S. government is suffering from its own crisis, which could include “the impeachment of Trump,” and that the president is now considering a preemptive strike against North Korea because of his “tough situation” at home. The commentary asserts that President Harry Truman entered the Korean War in 1950 in a bid to distract from economic problems in the United States and that President Bill Clinton launched a military attack on Iraq in 1998 when faced with an investigation of his sex life.
Never knew Kosovo was in Iraq.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
That feel when Kim Jong-motherloving-Un is less insane than your own president. Yeeeeeee gooooooods.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't doubt that anyone denies that this very thought has, and certainly will continue to cross Hair Fuhrer's mind, but I see this as DPRNK projecting their reasoning behind a possible pre-emptive ...."strike" of their own.

I think that the DPRK "threat" is an overblown propaganda construct. Their intelligence service is actually quite solid. They know that they're completely out-gunned making it unlikely that they'll start anything serious. Being the last Stalinist govt on the planet doesn't make them stupid or delusional- just totalitarian.

Trump? Who knows? The idea can't be dismissed out of hand.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Oh, I remember alright. I vividly remember that the accusation was that getting involved in Kosovo was a distraction from the scandal. Heck, that's what the news anchors were saying along with the news that we were at war... which I heard in the lunch room at work while I played Super Mario Bros DX on my Game Boy Color. Entering a new war to distract is bigger than what happened in Iraq and obviously that is the example that makes more sense to include.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Oh, I remember alright. I vividly remember that the accusation was that getting involved in Kosovo was a distraction from the scandal. Heck, that's what the news anchors were saying along with the news that we were at war... which I heard in the lunch room at work while I played Super Mario Bros DX on my Game Boy Color. Entering a new war to distract is bigger than what happened in Iraq and obviously that is the example that makes more sense to include.

It stands to reason that if Clinton were capable of that then Trump is even more so.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What is it with Trump's mirrored two handed gesturing? He has a huge habit of gesturing with both hand/arms making the same motion simultaneously with each as if using mirrors. It bugs the shit out of me.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I think that the DPRK "threat" is an overblown propaganda construct. Their intelligence service is actually quite solid. They know that they're completely out-gunned making it unlikely that they'll start anything serious. Being the last Stalinist govt on the planet doesn't make them stupid or delusional- just totalitarian.

Trump? Who knows? The idea can't be dismissed out of hand.

I don't think in a million years that it would NK who'd "start something serious", I just read an article about this as well.
NK has nothing to gain from starting out whatever "serious", it would mean the end of the regime which is the LAST thing they'd want.

What's noteworthy with your comment and similar thinking is that you automatically imply that it might be NK "starting out something", except that you, me, and everyone knows that the chances for the US "doing something" is MUCH, MUCH higher.

I am not denying that NK is a terrible regime, and I have no reason to doubt the horror stories about detention camps and whatever happening there.
YET, if you read some of their propaganda papers, where they see the US as the enemy who seems to want nothing more than war with NK...and then you *realize* that there are indeed entire US fleets and B2 bombers cruising at their borders *right now* UHM, AH, MAYBE, MAYBE NK has a very good reason to assume that the US does indeed want war...and if there wasn't so many complicated factors involved (China), and the danger of Seoul being attacked etc...you know, I know, WE(!) had long ago inv...uhm I mean "liberated" them already, especially w/ Trump as prez. Saying that NK has very good reason to fear the US and call them warmongers.

And..the other thing, with them facing B2 bombers "training" right in front of their door-step....isn't it sort-of ironic how we rage then when they test one of their missiles...demanding they'd stop their development of nukes. ("We can do it, but dare YOU do it").
It is, after all, INDEED an sovereign nation who has the right to defend themselves, isn't it...and looking at it that way, I think NK is justified in being concerned about the US wanting to destroy them. ("Them" as in the regime there). The notion that Trump is a psychopath who would WELL pre-emptively strike them...is not really far-fetched.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

When the US does a pre-emptive strike, it could well wipe out NK's entire nuke capacities AND the entire regime. 600 cruise missiles and a bunch of bunker busters can do a lot of damage :) NK on the other hand can not "wipe out" the US or whatever threats they face (or perceive as such), the fact that the US is not even in their missile range not even counted. Means: The US in a pre-emptive strike could achieve the goal by wiping them out, but NK, despite possibly millions of casualties (when they'd attack Seoul etc.) CAN NOT achieve any rational goal because at the end they'd still be wiped off the earth. So what would the rationale for a pre-emptive strike by NK be? There is none!