North Korea threatening physical response this weekend

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
1.) I figured as much. No disrespect intended, but all you know about the Military is what you have read about in History Books. IMO irrelevant.

I think there are some folks in this forum who've 'been there and done that'.

2.) You don't have to level cities and villages to fight a war. But you cannot expect to fight and win a war with the troops having their hands tied behind their backs and having to prove the insurgents were actually armed and shooting at them before they could engage.

One might proceed with the program to 'win', however, the rules of engagement established by Congress or treaty are the rules one ought to follow.

3.) No the weak bladder pussies have only been leading the military in my lifetime since the early 1990's or so.

Do you think that our troops should be court martialed for a prisoner getting a few scrapes and a fat lip?

Yes, I am a retired 20+ veteran.

Once an enemy has been deemed a pow then new rules are in place. If a pow is 'roughed up' that is a violation of our law... just like when a police officer does that to a citizen not resisting arrest on our streets.

Warriors are not often happy with restrictions being in place especially as it relates to the war event itself.. They are there to inflict damage to the enemy consistent with the objective. Some stuff is not permitted, however. War must be tidy and all that. War must have rules and a means to insure innocents are not unduly injured. Collateral damage is always an issue.
We set certain rules to insure we remain on the high side of the equation for some reason.
It makes little sense to me to drop bombs on villages populated by farmers but yet we do it... I makes lots of sense to drop MOABs on the offices of the leaders but we don't often do that. We don't do that especially when it don't suit some agenda and do when it does.
War is nutty!

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Same reference, but you left out the preceeding section that proves my point: Here I'll fix it for you:

" On September 27, MacArthur received the top secret National Security Council Memorandum 81/1 from Truman reminding him that operations north of the 38th parallel were authorized only if "at the time of such operation there was no entry into North Korea by major Soviet or Chinese Communist forces, no announcements of intended entry, nor a threat to counter our operations militarily…" On September 30, Defense Secretary George Marshall sent an eyes-only message to MacArthur: "We want you to feel unhampered tactically and strategically to proceed north of the 38th parallel."

On 1 October 1950, the UN Command repelled the KPA northwards, past the 38th parallel; the ROK Army crossed after them, into North Korea.Six days later, on 7 October, with UN authorization, the UN Command forces followed the ROK forces northwards. The X Corps landed at Wonsan (in southeastern North Korea) and Iwon (in northeastern North Korea), already captured by ROK forces.The Eighth United States Army and the ROK Army drove up western Korea and captured Pyongyang city, the North Korean capital, on 19 October 1950. At month’s end, UN forces held 135,000 KPA prisoners of war.

Taking advantage of the UN Command's strategic momentum against the communists, General MacArthur believed it necessary to extend the Korean War into China to destroy depots supplying the North Korean war effort. President Truman disagreed, and ordered caution at the Sino-Korean border. "

UN Forces were all the way up to Unsan before the Chinese forces did anything. We should have stopped after taking the Capital Pyongyang City, which took six entire days.

It's in black and white. I don't know how you could interpret anything other than Chinese intervention the day after UN forces crossed 38th parallel. :rolleyes:

It takes a while to gather up 1 million men army and travel to Korea on foot.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
This is comedy at its best AzN teaching people about history. Keep it up for the lulz.

AzN thinking China gives a crap about NK is what is truly hilarious. This isn't the 50s or 60s -- the Cold War is long over and China values her economy more than a third-world shithole full of starving people led by a delusional dictator and his entourage of boot lickers.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Well, looks like we called them bluffing and we were right. world-class aholes like the leaders of the NK regime only understand one thing and that's the promise of brute force smacking down on top of their collective heads.

Hopefully, this will keep them STFU for a while.

Of course they were bluffing, as usual. Anyone who doubted that this was just an empty threat hasn't been paying attention to NK over the past couple of decades and their threats of war whenever war games, sanctions, or anything that they perceive against their interest is mentioned. They typically rattle the cages when they want sanctions eased or something of that nature.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
AzN thinking China gives a crap about NK is what is truly hilarious. This isn't the 50s or 60s -- the Cold War is long over and China values her economy more than a third-world shithole full of starving people led by a delusional dictator and his entourage of boot lickers.

I wouldnt put it out of the realm that China would attempt an armed intervention in NK if the regime did fall apart or if the US appeared to lead the charge for SK to assimilate NK. IIRC China regards NK as a buffer against western interests, and a small war (if not escalated into something big) would be a great way for the CCP to distract their people from a lot of growing pains China is going through right now. Good way to stifle some dissension as well.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Of course they were bluffing, as usual. Anyone who doubted that this was just an empty threat hasn't been paying attention to NK over the past couple of decades and their threats of war whenever war games, sanctions, or anything that they perceive against their interest is mentioned. They typically rattle the cages when they want sanctions eased or something of that nature.
Only an insane man would start a fight that he inevitably will lose and not just lose the fight but end up worse and NK surely would. They have not shown themselves as insane--not really--they have a strong grip on their country and have for decades. How many revolutions have they had to quash? It would be completely irrational for them to start an armed conflict and they know it, which is why they won't. They only do enough to scare people and gain concessions. They've been doing it for a very long time because it works extremely well.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I wouldnt put it out of the realm that China would attempt an armed intervention in NK if the regime did fall apart or if the US appeared to lead the charge for SK to assimilate NK. IIRC China regards NK as a buffer against western interests, and a small war (if not escalated into something big) would be a great way for the CCP to distract their people from a lot of growing pains China is going through right now. Good way to stifle some dissension as well.
My guess and I think it is a good one is that if the US and SK started rolling into NK China would demand that it take part--all of this for "peace keeping". That way with their troops and military intermingled to "help out", it would ensure that the US and SK cannot get too far without China having a significant say in the ordeal.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
My guess and I think it is a good one is that if the US and SK started rolling into NK China would demand that it take part--all of this for "peace keeping". That way with their troops and military intermingled to "help out", it would ensure that the US and SK cannot get too far without China having a significant say in the ordeal.

Yes, that is likely the extent of China's military involvement and would give them a face-saving way to be involved without the risk of being humiliated against the US in a conventional war. China would not stand a chance against the US Air Force and Navy and that doesn't even begin to address the economic consequences for them of fighting the biggest market for their goods in the world.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
1.) I figured as much. No disrespect intended, but all you know about the Military is what you have read about in History Books. IMO irrelevant.

2.) You don't have to level cities and villages to fight a war. But you cannot expect to fight and win a war with the troops having their hands tied behind their backs and having to prove the insurgents were actually armed and shooting at them before they could engage.

3.) No the weak bladder pussies have only been leading the military in my lifetime since the early 1990's or so.

Do you think that our troops should be court martialed for a prisoner getting a few scrapes and a fat lip?

Yes, I am a retired 20+ veteran.

1. By your reasoning since you have never been a politician or a historian then you do not have anything to add to the current political climate and historical context....

2. The current rules of engagement are in place to protect the innocent bystanders and inevitable taping of possible atrocities. Do you not see the power of bad press in the current geopolitical landscape?

3. Sometimes a dog needs a leash.......

No I am not a retired veteran but I have paid taxes for 20 + years and therefore have a right to my say.

While I do not agree with the courtmartialing of the "fat lip guys" but I do see the need for a zero tolerance policy. When unchecked aggression infiltrates the core we see the horrors that John Kerry highlighted in his post war accounts....

Last edited:

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001

Can you be any more delusional? NK is the most strategic gateway into China and a back door to Russia. It would be like China putting military bases in Tijuana. Would US do nothing if China invaded Tijuana because US exploit China's cheap labor? :rolleyes:

Let me ask you a question. What's more important? Money or your existence? Any business between China and US could erupt with US advancement. US is playing a game here. I do not know who sunk SK ship but US has a history of foul play and covering it up. US wanted to do the drill in Yellow Sea but China warned them. US backed off is still having this military drills other side of SK. What if China and NK had military drills like this? America would go mad. :hmm:

If NK had 3rd rate countries surrounding it US would have invaded like Iraq. US constantly pushes trying to get a reaction out of China and Russia which US has backed off from their responses. US government knows this but why is that the average American think other wise? Does the average American have more resources or know more than the US government? I think not.

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Can you be any more delusional? NK is the most strategic gateway into China and a back door to Russia. It would be like China putting military bases in Tijuana. Would US do nothing if China put military bases in Tijuana because US exploit China's cheap labor? :rolleyes:

Let me ask you a question. What's more important? Money or your existence? Any business between China and US could erupt with US advancement. US is playing a game here. I do not know who sunk SK ship but US has a history of foul play and covering it up. US wanted to do the drill in Yellow Sea but China warned them. US backed off is still having this military drills other side of SK. What if China and NK had military drills like this? America would go mad. :hmm:
Bolded for additional lulz.

That's right, folks, the United States stole or created a duplicate of a North Korean torpedo and sunk one of their ally's ships to start another war. The US successfully duped the team of international experts into thinking NK launched the attack!

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Can you be any more delusional? NK is the most strategic gateway into China and a back door to Russia. It would be like China putting military bases in Tijuana. Would US do nothing if China put military bases in Tijuana because US exploit China's cheap labor? :rolleyes:

Errrr...you're the delusional freakshow around here. Why would the US want to invade China? You don't think the US could gain military bases on other countries bordering Russia or China? Such as Kazakhstan, for example? The US has military presence in Japan and South Korea and those are already on China's doorstep. Any military action the US would take against China would be from the air and both SK and Japan are well within range of US air forces, not to mention carrier battle groups.

Let me ask you a question. What's more important? Money or your existence?

Again, what makes you think the US is eager to invade China? China needs the US to survive financially, as it is China's largest market. NK doesn't matter to them at all and are more of a pain than anything. At worst, Skoorb's suggestion would probably happen -- China would want to be involved in any military operation in a "peacekeeping" role so they'd have a final say as to what happens with NK. The US has no intention of fighting China -- if that were America's plan, we would have done it in the 50s.

Any business between China and US could erupt with US advancement. US is playing a game here. I do not know who sunk SK ship but US has a history of foul play and covering it up.

Oh, REALLY? You just said a few weeks ago that you were pretty sure that the US sank it but now, you "don't know." How interesting.

US wanted to do the drill in Yellow Sea but China warned them. US backed off is still having this military drills. What if China and NK had military drills like this? America would go mad. :hmm:

The US backed off the Yellow Sea for diplomatic reasons, not for fear of China. Additionally, regarding China having military drills with NK -- I can guarantee that the US definitely wouldn't be threatening nuclear war unlike your pals in NK. At any rate, the US military is decades ahead of anything NK has and China is probably 20 to 25 years behind as well.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

That's right, folks, the United States stole or created a duplicate of a North Korean torpedo and sunk one of their ally's ships to start another war. The US successfully duped the team of international experts into thinking NK launched the attack!

The funny thing is that weeks ago, he was pretty sure that the US sank it and now suddenly, he "doesn't know." HAHA

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

If NK had 3rd rate countries surrounding it US would have invaded like Iraq. US constantly pushes trying to get a reaction out of China and Russia which US got the message. US government knows this but why is that the average American think other wise? Does the average American have more whits than the US government or even resources?

I know its not fair but Americans get to do whatever they want. Thats just the way it is.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

If NK had 3rd rate countries surrounding it US would have invaded like Iraq. US constantly pushes trying to get a reaction out of China and Russia which US has backed off from their responses. US government knows this but why is that the average American think other wise? Does the average American have more resources or know more than the US government? I think not.

At least you finally admitted that North Korea is the world's anus.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001

Dude you are just a nationalistic pig. Do you want me to give you examples? :rolleyes:

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
ROFL! NK is gonna get physical :biggrin:

I guess that means lil Kim will touch himself in a secret place