NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 742 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You haven't laid out a case for doing so other than that you've decided that you don't like masks.

Protecting the environment would be a good case. Masks generate tons of pollution. It was one thing to have them at the beginning but it just makes no sense to keep them permanently.

There is also a psychological reason. Humans are meant to interact with each other and actually see each other's faces. Especially starting at a young age. There are most likely going to be long term psychological damage done to kids raised in this new normal.

Quite a few other studies have been done on this: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=psychological+effects+of+masks+on+children

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Person without kids knows what's best for kids. Getting COVID will only make them stronger. Put your faith in the way you remember facts, not facts as they actually stand. 10 billion is the same as 2 billion is the same as 1 billion.
Yeah, my daughter caught covid this week. Only known exposure was at YMCA on Monday, the first day they no longer required masks. Luckily, she was vaccinated and only really had about 15 hours of very mild symptoms. Hoping the wife and I don't catch it. Most kids don't give a damn about masks, it's just another piece of clothing.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Hopefully that bitch goes to jail for threatening a school.
That woman reminded of the "school rant" scene from This is 40:

How M. McCarthy managed to go on for 2 minutes without cracking up, I'll never understand.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
After reading (and only barely comprehending) so many articles about Killer T-cells, B-Cells, Helper T-Cells, antibodies etc, I find it all reminding me of naval, or, most of all, Space Opera/SF, warfare (B-cells, T-Cells, X-wings, Y-wings). I now want someone to produce an animated or CGI space-battle metaphorical explanation of how it all works.

Reactions: Red Squirrel
Dec 10, 2005
After reading (and only barely comprehending) so many articles about Killer T-cells, B-Cells, Helper T-Cells, antibodies etc, I find it all reminding me of naval, or, most of all, Space Opera/SF, warfare (B-cells, T-Cells, X-wings, Y-wings). I now want someone to produce an animated or CGI space-battle metaphorical explanation of how it all works.
If you want something anthropomorphized and based on a manga, you could try Cells at Work. Despite being a cartoon, they explain quite well what different cells do (particularly immune cells).

Reactions: pmv

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, my daughter caught covid this week. Only known exposure was at YMCA on Monday, the first day they no longer required masks. Luckily, she was vaccinated and only really had about 15 hours of very mild symptoms. Hoping the wife and I don't catch it. Most kids don't give a damn about masks, it's just another piece of clothing.

Glad she's okay! :)

My younger daughter has had it twice now... fortunately both cases were mild and she's doing fine but the first time especially was really scary.

I'm asking. If you can go without masks, why can't I go without clothes?

I can think of any number of completely legitimate reasons. ;)

There are most likely going to be long term psychological damage done to kids raised in this new normal

Human beings are not nearly as "fragile" as some seem to believe.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Glad she's okay! :)

My younger daughter has had it twice now... fortunately both cases were mild and she's doing fine but the first time especially was really scary.

I can think of any number of completely legitimate reasons. ;)

Human beings are not nearly as "fragile" as some seem to believe.

:rolleyes:
The "legitimate" reasons are that we are more afraid of kids seeing a boob than killing people with a disease. I think our priorities are a bit fucked.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I seems like it might be time to review our battle plan against this bug. Since our nemesis has morphed, we should at least consider budging a little.

There is a valid discussion to be had regarding the vaccine-centric approach, or maybe I should say there was at one time. It would not be suprising that our fearless leaders are scrambling to reformulate the the narrative. Nor would it be a shocker if they are looking to make a really problematic pivot that is optimal........... politically.

I'd prefer getting my treatment being determined by an MD rather than a city councilman.

As I understand it, the Great Barrington Declaration, promotes Focused Protection. Something that is said to be the classical approach to pandemics. It is maybe a page long.

Lex Friedman has a (long form) podcast with a co-author of the Declaration. Two really low key guys for two and a half hours, but it is definitely outside the echo chamber.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The "legitimate" reasons are that we are more afraid of kids seeing a boob than killing people with a disease. I think our priorities are a bit fucked.

I'm thinking the sight of the majority of ATOT old-timers naked might prove a bit "unsettling" to most folks! (unless of course they have a wrinkle-fetish!)

;)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm asking. If you can go without masks, why can't I go without clothes?

That is the most ridiculous argument ever. Clothes are normal and help keep you warm, and do you really want to be walking around bare naked with your penis dangling around even if it was not cold? Just because someone does not want to make a mask as part of permanent clothing does not mean they want to get rid of ALL clothing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Honestly that would be kind of cool. Maybe something that shows what happens when you get the vaccine too, like from the moment it's injected, and how it starts to work.

Needs laser sounds in there somewhere.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
That is the most ridiculous argument ever. Clothes are normal and help keep you warm, and do you really want to be walking around bare naked with your penis dangling around even if it was not cold? Just because someone does not want to make a mask as part of permanent clothing does not mean they want to get rid of ALL clothing.
How is it ridiculous? You haven't given me a good reason why I can't have my dick out if you can go around without a mask wherever you want.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
How is it ridiculous? You haven't given me a good reason why I can't have my dick out if you can go around without a mask wherever you want.

Having a face visible is normal and always has been and is part of a normal society. Except for maybe oppressive regimes that force women to hide their faces, and that should not be accepted as normal. Having a dick and most of the rest of the body visible in public is socially not normal. If you want to do it nobody is going to stop you, but you'll get lot of weird looks. If you do not understand that then I don't know what more to say.

You are clearly a victim of mass psychosis if you really think a mask is the same as pants or a shirt.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Having a face visible is normal and always has been and is part of a normal society. Except for maybe oppressive regimes that force women to hide their faces, and that should not be accepted as normal. Having a dick and most of the rest of the body visible in public is socially not normal. If you want to do it nobody is going to stop you, but you'll get lot of weird looks. If you do not understand that then I don't know what more to say.

You are clearly a victim of mass psychosis if you really think a mask is the same as pants or a shirt.
Not normal to whom? Because it's definitely natural. You came into this world without clothing, so why cover up for reasons other than warmth?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is Canada really going to makes wearing a mask permanent? As in forever... and ever?

At least in Ontario at this point there does not seem to be any road map to go back to normal for anything, and some aspects have been made permanent such as the vaccine passports. Not sure about masks though but don't think they have plans to remove that either.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Actually there are laws that will stop me. If I walk down a street with my dick out of be put of the sex offender list.

100 years ago society said women could show basically zero skin, had been that way for centuries, doesn't mean it was "natural."

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So it went from "permanently" to "i'm not sure". OK, at least now i'm clear on that :rolleyes:

As far as the government wants, yeah it's permanently. They use words like "pause" or "reopening plan" to make people think it's not permanent but then say "indefinitely". When they hit a certain date they also change the narrative and extend it. 2 years of this, and people are starting to catch on. The narrative is slowly crumbling, so no, I'm not sure if it will really be permanent because I cannot predict the future of what will happen and whether the people will win, or perhaps the result of a future election if an anti mandate candidate wins. But as of now, there are no plans to get rid of them or the vaccine passports, or the rolling lockdowns or any of this stuff. They have been moving the goal posts and gas lighting people for 2 years and it looks like that is just going to continue under the current regime as it stands. But the people are beginning to wake up.

Mainstream media has been very quiet about the trucker convoy going on right now, I think the powers are starting to get worried. People are rising up and this is only the beginning. The majority still has not woken up yet so victory is still far, but it's coming.

They will not be able to ignore it when they all get to Parliament Hill. Honestly I don't even know where all those trucks will park. It's going to be chaotic.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

As far as the government wants, yeah it's permanently. They use words like "pause" or "reopening plan" to make people think it's not permanent but then say "indefinitely". When they hit a certain date they also change the narrative and extend it. 2 years of this, and people are starting to catch on. The narrative is slowly crumbling, so no, I'm not sure if it will really be permanent because I cannot predict the future of what will happen and whether the people will win, or perhaps the result of a future election if an anti mandate candidate wins. But as of now, there are no plans to get rid of them or the vaccine passports, or the rolling lockdowns or any of this stuff. They have been moving the goal posts and gas lighting people for 2 years and it looks like that is just going to continue under the current regime as it stands. But the people are beginning to wake up.

Mainstream media has been very quiet about the trucker convoy going on right now, I think the powers are starting to get worried. People are rising up and this is only the beginning. The majority still has not woken up yet so victory is still far, but it's coming.

They will not be able to ignore it when they all get to Parliament Hill. Honestly I don't even know where all those trucks will park. It's going to be chaotic.
What exactly would the government gain by having restrictions in place forever?

The Trucker protest is probably getting little coverage because it was probably a handful of trucks.

Reactions: Captante