NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 730 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Why shouldn't the people spreading the disease pay for the destruction that they cause?
Because anyone that gets the VIRUS (it's not a disease) spreads it, whether they we're vaccinated, immuno-compromised, or whatever. It's.......complicated.
It's also easy to point fingers based on the political agendas and reluctance to embrace logic. You have to make yourself think big picture though.... If someone wants to defy logic, they could potentially pay the price. Many have, do, and will pay the proce...just let them fall on their own sword of stupidity and you do you. I had this discussion on my own sister 3 days ago. I asked her to vaccinate and her response was, "it's not happening". 🤷‍♂️

If she dies, I'm never going to question whether I could have done more to convince her. She's the only person in my circle that wouldn't jump through the hoop.

I suppose if everyone was vaccinated the destruction spread would be far less.... I feel like you're suggestion that the infected unvaccinated should pay for the newly infected unvaccinated... With the exception of Omicron infections that could hit anyone.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Why shouldn't the people spreading the disease pay for the destruction that they cause?
The virus does not operate via the mechanism that it first spontaneously generates in unvaccinated people and then transfers to vaccinated people.

Dec 10, 2005
The virus does not operate via the mechanism that it first spontaneously generates in unvaccinated people and then transfers to vaccinated people.
Your point? We have a highly effective vaccine now that is widely available. People that refuse the vaccine for specious reasons should pay for that decision.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Your point? We have a highly effective vaccine now that is widely available. People that refuse the vaccine for specious reasons should pay for that decision.
The point is what's written down. I'll deviate willingly.
There should be process to make checks for legitimate doctor's orders to not proceed or not which probably will be part of that legislation, or at least should be.

Furthermore, there are subsets of unvaccinated who are of much less risk than others. If one got infected but never landed in the hospital, such an unvaccinated person who have a proven history where his "cost" to society is much less than someone who believe the pandemic is nothing, eats garbage, doesn't exercise, and probably most importantly, never had an infection to begin with.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Because anyone that gets the VIRUS (it's not a disease) spreads it, whether they we're vaccinated, immuno-compromised, or whatever. It's.......complicated.
It's also easy to point fingers based on the political agendas and reluctance to embrace logic. You have to make yourself think big picture though.... If someone wants to defy logic, they could potentially pay the price. Many have, do, and will pay the proce...just let them fall on their own sword of stupidity and you do you. I had this discussion on my own sister 3 days ago. I asked her to vaccinate and her response was, "it's not happening". 🤷‍♂️

If she dies, I'm never going to question whether I could have done more to convince her. She's the only person in my circle that wouldn't jump through the hoop.

I suppose if everyone was vaccinated the destruction spread would be far less.... I feel like you're suggestion that the infected unvaccinated should pay for the newly infected unvaccinated... With the exception of Omicron infections that could hit anyone.
I'm quoting myself to add the comment that if someone doesn't want to get the vaccine. I agree that they get to make that decision. I wish I could make it for them....I wish the government could for the moment, but I totally understand the idea that perhaps some bureaucrat will decide we all need a medication in the future that's unsafe. I mean, come on man!, you can't make people take meds unless they're illegal first.

Let's all pray that things get better sooner rather than later. I'm going to keep living my life and not slowing down.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
That title is factually correct yet misleading. Read the details as see it is for lower level positions in McCook, Nebraska...which might as well be another country given its isolation. Walmart's internal min wage would of course outcompete a hospital in an irrelevant small town likely full of unvaxxed Republicans...but the media wants to highlight...Walmart pays better than hospitals?

The article has paragraphs where it states there is a shortage and the cost of labor is rising.

I've got a lot of nurse friends locally & yeah, they are pretty dang well-paid in general. Although BK was advertising $18.25 here the other day!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've got a lot of nurse friends locally & yeah, they are pretty dang well-paid in general. Although BK was advertising $18.25 here the other day!

Reading some of the stories about nuts family members abusing the staff trying to save their relative's life it would have to pay pretty well.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The unvaccinated are an easy low hanging fruit for politicians. Its an easy scapegoat. Get people riled up about them to mask the real problem of the inadequate, underfunded health care system which they have been neglecting for decades.
The unvaccinated are the ones filling the hospitals, no problem with them paying for their personal choice.

Reactions: Captante

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Separate hospitals for vaccine hesitant patients and staff. What a wonderful and novel idea.

Would they be separate and equal or just separate?

Time to mandate separate drinking fountains.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Separate hospitals for vaccine hesitant patients and staff. What a wonderful and novel idea.

This might come as a shock to you, but skin colour is not contagious.

Dec 10, 2005

Yes, discriminating against people who make a choice to remain unvaccinated against a potentially deadly and highly contagious illness is the same thing as race-based discrimination... There is not a big enough eyeroll in the world to indicate how idiotic your post is.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This might come as a shock to you, but skin colour is not contagious.

We've got antivaxers pasting yellow stars of David on themselves because they think they're being persecuted like the Jews in Nazi held Europe.

One thing we aren't short of these days is nutcases.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
This may come as a shock to you, but the vaccines are no longer preventing contagion.

The only reason we are still dealing with covid is because we have not vaccinated the whole planet. Variants will keep popping up til everyone on the planet is fully vaccinated.

I don't see an issue with antivaxxers being treated by antivaxxers.

Dec 10, 2005
This may come as a shock to you, but the vaccines are no longer preventing contagion.
This may come as a shock to you, but the vaccines still dramatically reduce the chance of death and hospitalization, and viral loads in vaccinated people still drop quickly relative to unvaccinated people (which likely still reduces overall transmission relative to unvaccinated sick people).

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Yes, discriminating against people who make a choice to remain unvaccinated against a potentially deadly and highly contagious illness is the same thing as race-based discrimination... There is not a big enough eyeroll in the world to indicate how idiotic your post is.

Would you like this idiot to explain to you the difference between an analogy and being the "same thing"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Squirrel

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
This may come as a shock to you, but the vaccines still dramatically reduce the chance of death and hospitalization, and viral loads in vaccinated people still drop quickly relative to unvaccinated people (which likely still reduces overall transmission relative to unvaccinated sick people).

I could see how one could use the word "dramatically" when looking at the data, "reduce" not so much:

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ositivity=false&country=USA~EuropeanUnion~GIB

Whatever you do, "Don't Look Up"

Dec 10, 2005
COVID-19 HOSPITALIZATIONS
  • Comparing the rates of COVID-19 hospitalization between fully-vaccinated and unvaccinated people using age-adjusted vaccine effectiveness, fully-vaccinated New Yorkers remain strongly protected against COVID-19 hospitalization.
    • Across the time period of analysis, fully-vaccinated New Yorkers had between an 90.2% and 95.7% lower chance of being hospitalized with COVID-19, compared to unvaccinated New Yorkers.
90-96% lower risk of hospitalization for vaccinated vs unvaccinated is pretty dramatic and it translates directly into reduced hospitalizations per number infected.

Reactions: balloonshark

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Pretty good video about Japan's handling of the whole situation. It's way better than most countries.

My best friend is a Japanese and we still talked several times a week over the phone.

In Japan, most ppl volunteer to take the vaccines and strongly believe in science, as well as helping each other by keeping clean, mask up, not really promoted as much individual freedom of choice like we do. Therefore, their government didn't really need to be as forceful, since citizens understand their roles and all will do their part to help their society (unlike us being so divisive)