NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 435 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So I did stop by a Stein Mart earlier today. I haven't been to one for years, if ever, and now I know why they are out of business. Clothes are expensive comparing to TJ Maxx and Ross. Everything is 10% now off but still too expensive. You can get a shirt at TJM or Ross for less than $20 while a similar shirt at SM is $25 or more, even with the discount.
Regarding prices specifically, SM basically exists to exploit that 'stuff's on discount!' mentality. They regularly do coupons for shit like 50% off, nobody realistically pays full price for anything there.

It is still cheap garbage though.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Regarding prices specifically, SM basically exists to exploit that 'stuff's on discount!' mentality. They regularly do coupons for shit like 50% off, nobody realistically pays full price for anything there.

Right...then don't shop there and don't buy their garbage. TJ Maxx and Ross and Marshalls all has a mix of unknown and name brand stuff that retailers or manufacturers liquidate. I bought a lot of running gear at TJ Maxx...it's about the only time I ever shopped there. I was able to get running pants that fit me a few years back for $20 that would have been $50 anywhere else. It's the kind of stuff that doesn't get marked down...ever.

I never thought of Steinmart as that type of store. I think they have more off-brands. Like I said, I liked their beach/golf wear stuff....but I only walked in the store 2-3 times in my life. Not the kind of place I would go unless I was already in the parking lot to visit another store nearby.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Right...then don't shop there and don't buy their garbage. TJ Maxx and Ross and Marshalls all has a mix of unknown and name brand stuff that retailers or manufacturers liquidate. I bought a lot of running gear at TJ Maxx...it's about the only time I ever shopped there. I was able to get running pants that fit me a few years back for $20 that would have been $50 anywhere else. It's the kind of stuff that doesn't get marked down...ever.

I never thought of Steinmart as that type of store. I think they have more off-brands. Like I said, I liked their beach/golf wear stuff....but I only walked in the store 2-3 times in my life. Not the kind of place I would go unless I was already in the parking lot to visit another store nearby.
Per my previous response, the only people I know that shop there do it as more of a retired-person social engagement, a 'hey new coupons are in for SM! let's go find scarves!' kind of thing.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Brands such as Under Armour, Calvin Kline, Chaps, Penguin, etc. are cheap garbage now? Those were the ones I saw yesterday at SM.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Brands such as Under Armour, Calvin Kline, Chaps, Penguin, etc. are cheap garbage now? Those were the ones I saw yesterday at SM.
Yes? It's all shit from east asian sweatshops. Go buy a shirt or jeans from there and see how long they last.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So tell me which brands are not "cheap garbage" per your standard.
Well I have a personal fondness for New Balance, all made in America to damned fine standards. I still have some NB sneakers I got about 14 years ago. They've seen me through 14 years of general use as well as 6 years in military PT.

I miss old Levi's, they aren't what they used to be. If you can still find a pair from 20 years ago like I've got in my closet, they're excellent quality. LL bean is good, though a lot of their stuff is made in China, albeit higher quality (at least for shirts). You pay for them though, about $20 each, but they last a few years. Wigwam makes some of the best socks I've ever owned. Made in USA as well. Takes me 4-6 years to wear down a pack. If I dug around I'm sure I could find a handful more decent brands of stuff. Not everything I have is great quality of course, but the GF tends to buy things he likes rather than specifically high quality, that's more my bag. She has had endless complaints regarding jeans shopping, which is almost universally trash now.

To be clear I'm not some xenophobe, I don't have a specific issue with globalization or things made in eastern Asia, aside from America generally exporting the cost of cheap labor to foreign countries. My issue is when those countries turn around and export the cheapest goods imaginable, designed specifically to wear out in a season or two so they can be replaced.

Reactions: Perknose

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Well I have a personal fondness for New Balance, all made in America to damned fine standards. I still have some NB sneakers I got about 14 years ago. They've seen me through 14 years of general use as well as 6 years in military PT.

I miss old Levi's, they aren't what they used to be. If you can still find a pair from 20 years ago like I've got in my closet, they're excellent quality. LL bean is good, though a lot of their stuff is made in China, albeit higher quality (at least for shirts). You pay for them though, about $20 each, but they last a few years. Wigwam makes some of the best socks I've ever owned. Made in USA as well. Takes me 4-6 years to wear down a pack. If I dug around I'm sure I could find a handful more decent brands of stuff. Not everything I have is great quality of course, but the GF tends to buy things he likes rather than specifically high quality, that's more my bag. She has had endless complaints regarding jeans shopping, which is almost universally trash now.

To be clear I'm not some xenophobe, I don't have a specific issue with globalization or things made in eastern Asia, aside from America generally exporting the cost of cheap labor to foreign countries. My issue is when those countries turn around and export the cheapest goods imaginable, designed specifically to wear out in a season or two so they can be replaced.
I agree. There's a difference between manufacturing to a designer's specifications and slapping their label on some subpar product.

I'm not fat, but have had a lot of shorts rip this year because the stitching was bad. I haven't had any issues with shirts. I bought most of my shorts from Kohl's on clearance for around $5-6 each....I typically try to buy things for what they're worth.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Totally never thought this would happen from a major crisis (/s)

The funny thing is that there are plenty of job openings available in my area, but they aren't the kind of jobs that many people would want to work. It's all jobs like grocery store workers, line cooks, or mechanic help.

Now that the expanded unemployment benefits are getting cut, people aren't going to get to be as fussy anymore.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011

Timberland Pro are great but can be price, Dickie isn't as good but it will last year's.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Knock Knock is listed (or ranked) 6 on the list 27 Biblical Memes That Would Have Blown Up The Last Supper Group Chat

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Another great video graph from Our World in Data:

This time showing the progression by date of total confirmed cases per million.