NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 340 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Personally I've run into plenty of banks that don't have those fees.... both online and in-person.

I can understand more from rural perspective, because I'm guessing they don't have options... but suffice to say - there are definitely options.

I live in a mid size metro area with about 300K people, no BFE. As I said, there are options for B+M locations (in person) but most of them would require to have either direct deposit or a daily minimum balance. Right now I know of about 3 banks that have totally free checking accounts (no DD, no daily minimum balance) around here but they are not widespread as Chase and Capital. I do not know about big cities such as NYC, LA, and such (more competition).

I don't think knuckleheads (bad credit and no responsibility) we are talking about know anything about banking online.

Nov 8, 2012
I live in a mid size metro area with about 300K people, no BFE. As I said, there are options for B+M locations (in person) but most of them would require to have either direct deposit or a daily minimum balance. Right now I know of about 3 banks that have totally free checking accounts (no DD, no daily minimum balance) around here but they are not widespread as Chase and Capital. I do not know about big cities such as NYC, LA, and such (more competition).

I don't think knuckleheads (bad credit and no responsibility) we are talking about know anything about banking online.
Sure. I agree. Plenty are still too dumb to know you can deposit a check with a cell phone.... And that's with tons of corporate advertisement of these online services....

But similar to the law, you can't claim ignorance of the law when you break it. Basically saying, you can't fix stupidity and ignorance.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
To be fair, banks are demanding either a steady monthly direct deposit from employer ($500 minimum per DD/month) or at least $1,500 USD daily balance to have a checking account with no fee or the customer would have to pay $8-$10 or even more monthly to have a checking account with the banks. Don't let me start with other fees.
Huh? What shithole banks mandate an employer deposit or a $1500 balance? I've never heard of that in my life.

$5 minimum is the only thing I've ever heard of across like half a dozen banks/CU's I've dealt with.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
To those that haven't received their stimulus payment yet... am i hearing this right? They're sending debit cards instead of checks? Some searching says yes they are.
Would it be easier to steal/fraud a card than a paper check? I wonder, after reading about the fraud linked to unemployment payments. Not sure if that was related to payments made on cards or not though.

I finally received mine thru DD.
No clue, GF still hasn't gotten hers yet, apparently they pull DD info through SSI for her though.

She'll probably be the last SSN out the door.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Sure. I agree. Plenty are still too dumb to know you can deposit a check with a cell phone.... And that's with tons of corporate advertisement of these online services....

But similar to the law, you can't claim ignorance of the law when you break it. Basically saying, you can't fix stupidity and ignorance.

Agreed. No dispute from me about A LOT of folks in America are clueless and being irresponsible about finance and banking. Read the thread from Highland about craps that his customers say.

What I was trying to say is more and more brick and mortar banks in the "poor" area are demanding more, not less from the customers to open a checking account.

Huh? What shithole banks mandate an employer deposit or a $1500 balance? I've never heard of that in my life.

$5 minimum is the only thing I've ever heard of across like half a dozen banks/CU's I've dealt with.

To be clear, you can substitute employer with Social Security or Pension but no go for Bank to Bank ACH/online transfer or ATM transfer.

Right top of my head. Chase (Total Checking) - https://personal.chase.com/personal/checking

Regions - https://www.regions.com/personal-banking/open-checking-account-online/lifegreen-checking-account

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Agreed. No dispute from me about A LOT of folks in America are clueless and being irresponsible about finance and banking. What I was trying to say is more and more brick and mortar banks in the "poor" area are demanding more, not less from the customers to open a checking account.

To be clear, you can substitute employer with Social Security or Pension but no go for Bank to Bank ACH/online transfer or ATM transfer.

Chase (Total Checking) - https://personal.chase.com/personal/checking

Regions - https://www.regions.com/personal-banking/open-checking-account-online/lifegreen-checking-account
What horseshit, apparently I'm a pampered little shit with my no service fees, no ATM fees, no minimum balances, and rewards/interest.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
What horseshit, apparently I'm a pampered little shit with my no service fees, no ATM fees, no minimum balances, and rewards/interest.

Yup. You are. I think Capital One is getting better with the 360 Checking account but it is the exception and not the norm.

To be fair, other banks are not as high, this one "only" needs $800 daily balance for no fee (Everyday Checking) - https://www.citizensnb.com/checking/

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Except not everyone has served in the military, or has a family member who has served in the military.
I'd love to get in on their insurance let alone a bank account. No one in my family is military though...
I hear good things about them but don't you have to be current or ex military or be a spouse/family member of one to join?
I'd be tempted to join up again if I had to deal with bullshit like what was described earlier :p

But yes, generally you need to be mil or associated with mil. I heard they were going to potentially open up to others, no idea if/when that'll happen though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I finally received mine thru DD.
I expected mine through DD because I always pay or am paid by DD vis a vis the IRS. However, I got a paper check and figure it's because there was nothing to be paid by either via my return. I owed nothing, they owed me nothing on my 2018 return. Got my check on May 8.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not sure if this is some weird spam or legit, but I got an email from Liberty Jet and they are selling off planes. The airlines are sure in trouble lol.

It's a 2007 Global XRS, it even has a coffee machine!

"Why buy a fraction when you can own an entire jet with similar turnkey management for the same price?"

I think they have me sold. Going to need to extend my driveway.
I have some underwater property to sell you, PM me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think masks just never really took off in North America. Even here in Canada I don't really see people wear them. Though I do see SOME, which is more than when we had SARS.

The mask issue seems very controversial though, even experts flip flop between whether they help or not. I think that's what is making people not bother.
Whatever it is, every time I see someone in public now not wearing a mask I look on them disparagingly. Any expert that would express any doubt about whether or not wearing a mask would help is worth ignoring 100%.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Starting to see yellow and red on google maps traffic this morning. It was nice while it lasted
Saw news story around 2 weeks ago, they were saying that traffic when people go back to work could be worse than it used to be because people feel safer in their car than on public transportation.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'm a big a critic of Fox News but this mentality far predates even them. There was an anti-mask movement in the 1918-1919 flu epidemic. Some proportion of Americans are simply dumb as hell and always will be. We've still got a bunch of antivaxxers for Christs sake.
Anti-science has arguably gotten a lot worse in recent years/decade for some reason. :grimacing: Hell you see plenty of it in this thread, and overall we're the educated bunch. :laughing:

Pretty much all the largest national banks have done this for years, with some exceptions like student checking or for seniors. The regional, mid-size banks are a lot better. Reason # 823 not to have TBTF banks in 'Murica.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My old bank (Royal Bank) did require a deposit after like 2 years of inactivity, but I literally could have put $1 in there and it would have gave me another 2 years. I ended up closing it anyway. I just kept it open for a while to make sure nothing goes in, like if I have something set direct deposit that only happens very seldom, like tax refund or something I may have overlooked. But after 2 years I felt it was safe to close it so I did. There was also an odd sentimental value as it was my first account I opened as a little kid. But not going to keep an account around just for that. I switched from that bank to a local caisse (Basically same idea as a credit union) when they laid off a bunch of people so they can replace them with TFWs. They even got the laid off people to train their replacements. That's like getting your victims to dig their own graves before you execute them.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

I can count on one hand the number of banks and CUs with no fee, no DD, no requirement to have a checking account around here.

That's why so many places are having check cashing service now. From mom and pop "finance stores" to liquor stores to grocery stores to Wal Mart stores.
Check cashing fees probably add up to something close to the monthly fee for a checking account anyway.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Does your employer deposit directly? I used to get free checking with Bank of America for 15 years because I had direct deposit. DD goes away, I get charged $15/month.

Nov 8, 2012
Does your employer deposit directly? I used to get free checking with Bank of America for 15 years because I had direct deposit. DD goes away, I get charged $15/month.

I have 2 bank of america accounts that I keep around just for kicks - I think since my wife got a mortgage with them originally some 15 years ago (that mortgage is now LOOOOOONG gone) there is no minimum balance - no direct deposit requirement... nothing.

I honestly just keep it around in case I run into a check that doesn't work in the app - or if I need to deposit coins.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Check cashing fees probably add up to something close to the monthly fee for a checking account anyway.

I never used the check cashing service at WM so I do not know if these data points are current or not.

Directly from WM - "Max fee of $4 for checks up to $1,000. Max fee of $8 for checks greater than $1,000. Max fee of $6 for Two-Party Personal Checks up to $200."

Speaking of cashing the debit cards - "Walmart will charge a $3.74 fee for each card cashing transaction. Card cashing transactions are limited to $1,000 per transaction."

But I do know WM money order price is very good, $0.88 per 1 money order up to $1,000 USD. As cheap as Kroger. Other places are higher.