NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 339 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Stalked? I posted his very own many many words (posts) in this thread to show his hypocrisy, not just baseless accusation that so many posters have a habit of doing so. See the tittle of the thread? See it? See how many times he violated it. Too many to count. Wanna bash DT? See what another poster said in #8440. I even provided the correct thread for him to post his bashing.

The second question was not just merely civic responsibility but whether he wants everyone to follow the rules equally. Too many posters have a habit of "hey everyone, let follow the rules and laws, ok?" when it fits their agenda and then turn around and make all the excuses in the world for breaking rules and laws in other circumstances. At least he gave me a straight answer, unlike this poster chickened out - https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...navirus-thread.2575795/page-310#post-40147897
You cited his posts from 2 months ago, apparently you bear some type of grudge against his "hypocrisy" and spent time listing evidence to support your assertion. So you're the ATOT police now? Most of the posters in this thread have deflected or avoided politicization, while I admit I've partaken in it from time to time. Who the fuck cares as long as it doesn't get out of hand and requires moderation? Why do you care so much he likes to bash Donald Trump on occasion?

I'm pretty sure when Muse breaks the non-Political rule of this thread, he's not endangering anybody's health. So again, not sure what your hypocrisy allegations have to do with protesters being willfully ignorant of an infectious disease. There's no moral or ethical equivalence here, and the latter topic is relevant to this thread IMO. Dr. Birx specifically expressed alarm about this over a week ago.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You cited his posts from 2 months ago, apparently you bear some type of grudge against his "hypocrisy" and spent time listing evidence to support your assertion. So you're the ATOT police now? Most of the posters in this thread have deflected or avoided politicization, while I admit I've partaken in it from time to time. Who the fuck cares as long as it doesn't get out of hand and requires moderation? Why do you care so much he likes to bash Donald Trump on occasion?

I'm pretty sure when Muse breaks the non-Political rule of this thread, he's not endangering anybody's health. So again, not sure what your hypocrisy allegations have to do with protesters being willfully ignorant of an infectious disease. There's no moral or ethical equivalence here, and the latter topic is relevant to this thread IMO. Dr. Birx specifically expressed alarm about this over a week ago.

Remember when he tried to plead "Where and how did I make phantom blaming you're complaining about? " (his exact words)? Nope. No "allegation" as you claim but the truth. because he didn't dispute that those were not his posts. That's why I cited his very own words in FULL context. I don't make empty accusation and then have nothing to back up my assertion. If only other posters would do the same. He wants to bash DT as much as he could? Go to the correct thread and bash away. It is getting old and I am not alone. Occasion? Are you for real? You want me to cite even more his posts that full of bashing in this thread? Occasion my tail.Uh huh. Why even bother to have rules when certain posters can get away with it repeatedly which brings my second point.

On the second point, read the question I raised to the other poster about if everyone should follow the same rules/laws and no one could pick and choose which one to follow and which one to ignore. I even posted the exact post in full context for you to see. Wanna try to read it again? Here it is again, my point is "Too many posters have a habit of "hey everyone, let follow the rules and laws, ok?" when it fits their agenda and then turn around and make all the excuses in the world for breaking rules and laws in other circumstances." Do you get it now?

And who are you to protect him? He could fight his own battle. He made his own posts, stand by them. Don't bullsh1t.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005

wtf

Nov 8, 2012
Places with better mask wearing look likely to cut transmission a lot more than places that don't.

LOL

The link consists of an "experiment" of mice in Hong Kong. Are you seriously comparing this to the behavior (especially CURRENT behavior) of humans? And did you seriously find this to be some kind of elaborate and scientific controlled study? And do we even know how and what ways mice can transmit vs. ways humans can?

The study, which the Hong Kong team calls the first of its kind, used hamsters in two cages; one group of hamsters infected with Covid-19 and the other healthy. The researchers created three different scenarios: mask barriers placed just on cages with the infected subjects, masks covering the healthy subjects, and one with no mask barriers at all, with a fan between the cages allowing particles to be transmitted between them.
With no mask barriers at all, two-thirds of the healthy hamsters — 66.7% — were infected with the virus within a week, the researchers found.
When the mask was placed over the infected cage, however, that infection rate dropped to 16.7%. The infection rate went up to 33% when the mask barrier was only used to cover the healthy hamsters’ cage.

The hamsters who were still infected despite having the mask barrier also had less of the virus in their bodies compared to those infected without the masks, the researchers found.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
LOL

The link consists of an "experiment" of mice in Hong Kong. Are you seriously comparing this to the behavior (especially CURRENT behavior) of humans? And did you seriously find this to be some kind of elaborate and scientific controlled study? And do we even know how and what ways mice can transmit vs. ways humans can?

1) The experiment used hamsters not mice.

2) The lack of credulity among Americans that masks likely help prevent the spread of a respiratory disease continues to be distressing.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I love how the major argument, besides "freedom", against wearing a mask is that people don't know how to wear them and they will only make things worse... yet we trust these same people to own guns.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Places with better mask wearing look likely to cut transmission a lot more than places that don't.

It just makes sense. Facts have emerged that reveal that infection depends not on not being exposed to the virus but not being exposed to a dose that causes infection. 10 particles or less is very likely not to cause infection. 100, some small possibility. 1000 is thought to be a threshold where infection begins to be happening statistically significantly. Higher doses, have higher chances of resulting in infection. That's why you see the science fiction looking PPE in some video. Wearing masks, any masks, anywhere the virus is shedding in any environment is going to play into this a great deal both in terms of not infecting others and not being infected by others.

Reactions: K1052

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
To those that haven't received their stimulus payment yet... am i hearing this right? They're sending debit cards instead of checks? Some searching says yes they are.
Would it be easier to steal/fraud a card than a paper check? I wonder, after reading about the fraud linked to unemployment payments. Not sure if that was related to payments made on cards or not though.

I finally received mine thru DD.

Nov 8, 2012
To those that haven't received their stimulus payment yet... am i hearing this right? They're sending debit cards instead of checks? Some searching says yes they are.
Would it be easier to steal/fraud a card than a paper check? I wonder, after reading about the fraud linked to unemployment payments. Not sure if that was related to payments made on cards or not though.

I finally received mine thru DD.
Im guessing it has to do with the tons of morons in this country that lack the credit and 3rd grade level responsibility to handle a checking account.

There are folks whom when they get their tax returns they get companies that will accept the money and then pay it to them in the form of these gift cards since they don't have direct deposits or an account to even deposit checks into. Thus it's their only option.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
/\
Guy at work was telling me this today & he made it sound like no paper checks would be issued & it would all be on prepaid cards, if the IRS didn't have your DD info.
From the bit of searching i did i see the number 4 million quoted a lot, but i don't know how many people would've been sent checks in the first place.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Why are some Americans so deathly afraid of masks? Do they think masks have AIDS in them or something? JFC just put a mask on during a pandemic and go about your business.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not sure if this is some weird spam or legit, but I got an email from Liberty Jet and they are selling off planes. The airlines are sure in trouble lol.

It's a 2007 Global XRS, it even has a coffee machine!

"Why buy a fraction when you can own an entire jet with similar turnkey management for the same price?"

I think they have me sold. Going to need to extend my driveway.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Why are some Americans so deathly afraid of masks? Do they think masks have AIDS in them or something? JFC just put a mask on during a pandemic and go about your business.

You haven't been paying attention for the last 20 years I'm guessing.

Fox News has an agenda of contradicting mainstream media and its gotten so bad that when EVERY OTHER NEWS OUTLET tells people they need to wear masks then Fox is obligated to say "dont wear masks".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

About 25-30% of the country would drink antifreeze if a slick enough YouTube video told them too.

• Haha
Reactions: mopardude87

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You haven't been paying attention for the last 20 years I'm guessing.

Fox News has an agenda of contradicting mainstream media and its gotten so bad that when EVERY OTHER NEWS OUTLET tells people they need to wear masks then Fox is obligated to say "dont wear masks".

I'm a big a critic of Fox News but this mentality far predates even them. There was an anti-mask movement in the 1918-1919 flu epidemic. Some proportion of Americans are simply dumb as hell and always will be. We've still got a bunch of antivaxxers for Christs sake.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think masks just never really took off in North America. Even here in Canada I don't really see people wear them. Though I do see SOME, which is more than when we had SARS.

The mask issue seems very controversial though, even experts flip flop between whether they help or not. I think that's what is making people not bother.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007

My guess is If they think it's a liberal idea, they will automatically be against it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The mask issue seems very controversial though, even experts flip flop between whether they help or not. I think that's what is making people not bother.

Public health communications have been a problem on this. Initially people were told no masks as to prevent a run on medical PPE which arguably happened anyway. The pivot to masks for all in light of growing information that they work as source control reasonably well has been inconsistent at best.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Im guessing it has to do with the tons of morons in this country that lack the credit and 3rd grade level responsibility to handle a checking account.

There are folks whom when they get their tax returns they get companies that will accept the money and then pay it to them in the form of these gift cards since they don't have direct deposits or an account to even deposit checks into. Thus it's their only option.

To be fair, banks are demanding either a steady monthly direct deposit from employer ($500 minimum per DD/month) or at least $1,500 USD daily balance to have a checking account with no fee or the customer would have to pay $8-$10 or even more monthly to have a checking account with the banks. Don't let me start with other fees.

Credit Unions are better but the requirements are similar, either a DD monthly or daily minimum balance from $75 to $200.

I can count on one hand the number of banks and CUs with no fee, no DD, no requirement to have a checking account around here.

That's why so many places are having check cashing service now. From mom and pop "finance stores" to liquor stores to grocery stores to Wal Mart stores.

Nov 8, 2012
To be fair, banks are demanding either a steady monthly direct deposit from employer ($500 minimum per DD/month) or at least $1,500 USD daily balance to have a checking account with no fee or the customer would have to pay $8-$10 or even more monthly to have a checking account with the banks. Don't let me start with other fees.

Credit Unions are better but the requirements are similar, either a DD monthly or daily minimum balance from $75 to $200.

I can count on one hand the number of banks and CUs with no fee, no DD, no requirement to have a checking account around here.

That's why so many places are having check cashing service now. From mom and pop "finance stores" to liquor stores to grocery stores to Wal Mart stores.

Personally I've run into plenty of banks that don't have those fees.... both online and in-person.

I can understand more from rural perspective, because I'm guessing they don't have options... but suffice to say - there are definitely options.