NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 296 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
RIP Georgia:

haha. We have moron governor so while other states are looking to reopen factories, he thinks it's more important for people go to the gym and bowling alley. I'm for opening things back up but gyms, bowling alley, and hair and nail salons would the among the last group of businesses I would reopen.

Nov 8, 2012

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dude that was a picture perfect example.... to show WHY Noah isn't funny. There wasn't a single joke that someone over the age of 5 would laugh at in that ENTIRE segment.

OMG SOOO FUNNY! Gas is cheap so he suggested filling up your backseat too! SO FUNNY OMG! How can you come up with such a GREAT joke?
Well, I didn't watch it with any hope of laughing. I'll say it again, I don't know why I'd want to find mirth in this pandemic. His sensitivity to the nuances of political in-fighting and public reaction to what's going on is spot on. Where else can you get that? His I guess daily videos are super well produced. I just don't get why people here are all upset that they aren't finding them funny! WTF do you expect... and why? I value insight over laughing about these matters.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I am somewhat curious to see what level of activity resumes in Georgia just because the gov says its ok. I think it's going to be pretty limited as people and businesses make their own judgements about the relative safety of the movement.

Nov 8, 2012
I am somewhat curious to see what level of activity resumes in Georgia just because the gov says its ok. I think it's going to be pretty limited as people and businesses make their own judgements about the relative safety of the movement.

I think people will be quick to return to restaurants...

Movie theaters I'm not sure...

There is plenty of shit though that honestly didn't need to be closed that all states are starting to look at and say "Okay, yeah, thats fucking dumb to close"... Things like... a huge ass golf course.... Seriously? There are so few people on a golf course and they are so massively spread out usually does it really matter?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

There is plenty of shit though that honestly didn't need to be closed that all states are starting to look at and say "Okay, yeah, thats fucking dumb to close"... Things like... a huge ass golf course.... Seriously? There are so few people on a golf course and they are so massively spread out usually does it really matter?

I've got no idea so we'll see. Some things are obviously lower risk than others. Golf courses probably ok as long as people keep apart. Churches with people packed in the pews at possibly less than 6 feet spewing virus laden droplets all over the place during hymns...probably a real poor idea.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I've got no idea so we'll see. Some things are obviously lower risk than others. Golf courses probably ok as long as people keep apart. Churches with people packed in the pews at possibly less than 6 feet spewing virus laden droplets all over the place during hymns...probably a real poor idea.
GA has crazy number of churches. That's going to be problem area. Churches were major problem in South Korea.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

Just avoid the bathrooms and poop in the neighborhood yards.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
GA has crazy number of churches. That's going to be problem area. Churches were major problem in South Korea.
Churches were already a problem. Indeed, the person I know with it was part of a large outbreak in GA that was related to a church gathering.

• Wow
Reactions: mopardude87

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My church was pretty smart about it, they cancelled all services as precaution just before it became more official from the government. Does not matter how much faith you have you still need to be smart. God does not save you from your own stupidity, he does not work that way.

Packing 50 or so people in a big room for an hour is a pretty good way to make sure lot of people get sick.

Would be interesting to see if all the cases in my city link back to a Stag and Doe event that happened. I don't get why that was allowed to even go on.

Nov 8, 2012
My church was pretty smart about it, they cancelled all services as precaution just before it became more official from the government. Does not matter how much faith you have you still need to be smart. God does not save you from your own stupidity, he does not work that way.

Packing 50 or so people in a big room for an hour is a pretty good way to make sure lot of people get sick.

Would be interesting to see if all the cases in my city link back to a Stag and Doe event that happened. I don't get why that was allowed to even go on.

...but... how will your god get money every week?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I just don't get why people here are all upset that they aren't finding them funny! WTF do you expect... and why? I value insight over laughing about these matters.

Look at the watermark on the bottom-left part of the video. That clip is from the Daily Show, on Comedy Central.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Churches were already a problem. Indeed, the person I know with it was part of a large outbreak in GA that was related to a church gathering.

Yup, its times like this i am proud to be a pagan. We don't gather in churchs, my garden is my church.

Edit: thanks for sharing. I mentioned it to friend and she had no clue, i linked her it. :)

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
you can't legislate the end of fear. The economy will continue to suffer from it.

Reactions: K1052

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
you can't legislate the end of fear. The economy will continue to suffer from it.

To a certain extent, that's a good thing? As long as people keep choosing personally to avoid contact with others, it'll help tamp down spread of the disease. Most of the public by now should know how to avoid Covid-19. Though I don't see enough people with goggles out there (heh).

In other news, I figured out why some people are having problems checking the status of their stimulus check on irs.gov . It turns out that the payment status tool only works if you've already filed your 2019 taxes. Or at least that's what TaxAct told me in an update.

edit: actually what it really says is that you can't update your direct deposit information using that tool unless you've filed for 2019.

It is not possible to use the IRS "Get My Payment" web portal to update your direct deposit information if you have not filed your 2019 return.
The IRS released a web portal called "Get My Payment". This tool allows individuals to check the latest status of their Economic Impact Payment (EIP). Some individuals can also update their direct deposit information within the portal. Submitting this information allows you to get your money most quickly, as paper checks will take longer to process.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
NIH Panel Recommends Against Drug Combination Trump Has Promoted For COVID-19

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...hare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

A panel of experts convened by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases recommends against doctors using a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for the treatment of COVID-19 patients because of potential toxicities.

"The combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin was associated with QTc prolongation in patients with COVID-19," the panel said.

QTc prolongation increases the risk of sudden cardiac death

I think if the anti-malarial drugs are helpful at all it's for anti-inflammatory reasons. The various IL-6 inhibitors undergoing trials could be more useful in that regard and without the cardiac problems.

Reactions: CZroe

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Why the F would people be quick to return to restaurants? Sitting in an enclosed room with a bunch of staff and strangers, mask-less because you're consuming food and drink. Even if local health departments mandate fewer tables/chairs, quite simply social distancing and dining out are mutually exclusive. IMO restaurants will be hurting until herd immunity and a vaccine are widespread.

I personally don't go to the movie theater, but I'd argue that's a safer venue. Much larger enclosed space, and the operator can strictly enforce a no mask, no entry policy. I doubt people will flock back to the movie theaters either, but it can be done relatively safely and there's still a broad (if shrinking) swath of Americans who enjoy the big screen experience.

Reactions: skyking
Nov 8, 2012
Why the F would people be quick to return to restaurants? Sitting in an enclosed room with a bunch of staff and strangers, mask-less because you're consuming food and drink. Even if local health departments mandate fewer tables/chairs, quite simply social distancing and dining out are mutually exclusive. IMO restaurants will be hurting until herd immunity and a vaccine are widespread.

I personally don't go to the movie theater, but I'd argue that's a safer venue. Much larger enclosed space, and the operator can strictly enforce a no mask, no entry policy. I doubt people will flock back to the movie theaters either, but it can be done relatively safely and there's still a broad (if shrinking) swath of Americans who enjoy the big screen experience.

Oh understand this - I'm not justifying it. I'm just telling you that Americans are fat and lazy, and having other people cook them stuff battered in 6 sticks of butter is practically our way of life. If restaurants are allowed to serve again, plenty will start having a decent sized crowd that same week. I guarantee it.