NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 295 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You're right but, well, it wouldn't make sense to send a reporter and photographer to the beach in a story critical of people going to the beach. ;)

Couldn't they just admit 'look, we don't have a photo, OK - you know what a damn beach looks like, why do you need a photograph anyway?'. Maybe add the journalist's own crude crayon illustration of "what the beach probably looks like, more-or-less"

What I've noticed is advice columns using stock pictures of (implausibly young-and-photogenic) people, such that you notice the person this week wondering about taking that high-paid job is the same one from a couple of months back who had a heroin-addiction, and who previously had a terminal illness.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11 and CZroe

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You're right but, well, it wouldn't make sense to send a reporter and photographer to the beach in a story critical of people going to the beach. ;)

Telephoto lens. Using stock photography is piss poor journalism, and even borders on fraud as it's super misleading.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
What I've noticed is advice columns using stock pictures of (implausibly young-and-photogenic) people, such that you notice the person this week wondering about taking that high-paid job is the same one from a couple of months back who had a heroin-addiction, and who previously had a terminal illness.
give them a break. theyve been through so much in the last 6 months

Reactions: pmv

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Well that just proves how good their advice is, doesn't it?

:p

Reactions: pmv

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I know a lot of you guys hate on Noah (me, I don't get The Comedy Channel, so WTF that's about I DON'T KNOW!), but he's got his finger right on the pulse right now and I agree with him about this shit. He's saying what I was thinking... uh huh, and very well:

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So many companies going bankrupt or are on the verge of bankruptcy:
Frontier was going to go bankrupt long before COVID-19 existed. They spent all their money buying aging infrastructure from Verizon and AT&T, and then didn't bother upgrading it.

In my town, Comcast is now offering Internet access five times faster than Frontier for the same price. No wonder they lost all of their customers.

And Art Van was a fairly spectacular nose dive already after its ailing founder Art sold it to a private equity fund just a couple years ago

Nov 8, 2012
I know a lot of you guys hate on Noah (me, I don't get The Comedy Channel, so WTF that's about I DON'T KNOW!), but he's got his finger right on the pulse right now and I agree with him about this shit. He's saying what I was thinking... uh huh, and very well:

Dude that was a picture perfect example.... to show WHY Noah isn't funny. There wasn't a single joke that someone over the age of 5 would laugh at in that ENTIRE segment.

OMG SOOO FUNNY! Gas is cheap so he suggested filling up your backseat too! SO FUNNY OMG! How can you come up with such a GREAT joke?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
FDA authorizes first home sample collection for Covid testing.

Nasal self swab and saliva sample collection makes it entirely possible to mass screen the country if we can get the supply chain straightened out and bring enough equipment to bear. The latter two questions are merely a matter of will and dollars.

Nov 8, 2012
FDA authorizes first home sample collection for Covid testing.

Nasal self swab and saliva sample collection makes it entirely possible to mass screen the country if we can get the supply chain straightened out and bring enough equipment to bear. The latter two questions are merely a matter of will and dollars.

Call me when it's at-home antibody testing. That's FAR more important IMO is a bunch of people that are sitting at home that COULD be doing things that aren't.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Call me when it's at-home antibody testing. That's FAR more important IMO is a bunch of people that are sitting at home that COULD be doing things that aren't.

I'd be shocked if the national exposure was more than low single digits at this point with some places being locally higher. We need a bunch of truly random high quality sereosurveys to figure that out though. Home antibody testing, reliable ones, are on the way but I would not expect to see them widely available until late May or possibly June. Extremely accurate lab based tests are already becoming more available so anybody hitting the medical system could likely be tested as a matter of course soon.

Finding the actively infected and getting them out of circulation along with their contacts is the only real way to get this under control for now. If that costs $50-100B to do then who cares since it's peanuts compared to the economic devastation we've let happen.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I went to Petsmart and Walgreens yesterday.

It's amazing how many bored people were walking around both places "shopping". Like they thew just need to get out of the fracking house.

I believe It's time to open businesses in my area with the same social distancing guidelines as essential business have: Only one family member, keep 6 ft apart etc. There's not much virus around here. We can't stay indoors for the next 18 months.

Dec 10, 2005
Antibody testing may be important, but we don't even know what antibody testing will mean yet. Does the immune memory fade over weeks, months, or years? Do we have any good proof that infected people can't get reinfected?

Nov 8, 2012
Antibody testing may be important, but we don't even know what antibody testing will mean yet. Does the immune memory fade over weeks, months, or years? Do we have any good proof that infected people can't get reinfected?

I'd say the same thing with testing. Honestly, I think breakouts in the US started in as early as January and we are no where near knowing the number of true cases... Hence why I think antibody is more important at this point.

I also feel that by the time people go to get tested they've already spread it all over the place and we would need to test 30 more. Endless and pointless cycle that never ends IMO.

Just like when the cruises came through and the majority of the boat had the virus but were asymptomatic?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'd say the same thing with testing. Honestly, I think breakouts in the US started in as early as January and we are no where near knowing the number of true cases... Hence why I think antibody is more important at this point.

I also feel that by the time people go to get tested they've already spread it all over the place and we would need to test 30 more. Endless and pointless cycle that never ends IMO.

Just like when the cruises came through and the majority of the boat had the virus but were asymptomatic?

Closed close environments with poor ventilation and tons of touch points like ships put a disease outbreak to warp speed. Nobody lives like that on land.

It is extremely unlikely that random antibody tests will reveal infection rates more than a small fraction of what would be required for herd immunity in the US. However we don't actually have to chose between mass molecular and antibody testing. We can easily do both at the same time and should.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'd be shocked if the national exposure was more than low single digits at this point with some places being locally higher. We need a bunch of truly random high quality sereosurveys to figure that out though. Home antibody testing, reliable ones, are on the way but I would not expect to see them widely available until late May or possibly June. Extremely accurate lab based tests are already becoming more available so anybody hitting the medical system could likely be tested as a matter of course soon.

Finding the actively infected and getting them out of circulation along with their contacts is the only real way to get this under control for now. If that costs $50-100B to do then who cares since it's peanuts compared to the economic devastation we've let happen.

You have more faith in the "social distancing" actually working than I do. I mean, I personally had a respiratory illness that could have been COVID-19 back in early February, but they had no testing available for it back then. They tested me for the flu, but that came back negative. Same with my daughter, who also got whatever I had. If my daughter and I did have the disease, we probably personally unwittingly spread it to hundreds of people all over Connecticut long before the lockdown occurred. All you need is a few more stories like mine, and you may have had tens of thousands infected who don't know it yet.

Nov 8, 2012
You have more faith in the "social distancing" actually working than I do. I mean, I personally had a respiratory illness that could have been COVID-19 back in early February, but they had no testing available for it back then. They tested me for the flu, but that came back negative. Same with my daughter, who also got whatever I had. If my daughter and I did have the disease, we probably personally unwittingly spread it to hundreds of people all over Connecticut long before the lockdown occurred. All you need is a few more stories like mine, and you may have had tens of thousands infected who don't know it yet.

I had the same thing.... And just for reference, early to mid-february was when everything (globally) was still acting normal. I was flying for business, etc..

So if outbreaks started in january, and people have been spreading it on things like non-ventilated airplanes (similar K1052s cruise ship analogy) then it has simply been spreading like wildfire ever since.

So 1 person on a plane, spreads it to a huge batch on the plane, those people take it home or to work the next day...

Then tons of infected get on subsequent flights, connecting flights, etc...

The whole thing of "first cases" when we first started fearmongering in mid-march makes me laugh if people honestly believe that it hadn't been all over the place since February.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

This is the problem with making too many assumptions about the level of penetration. Way too many might haves in that scenario. I had a respiratory illness that I can't guarantee was Covid and I'm certainly not going to assume it is until I obtain definitive proof.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I had the same thing.... And just for reference, early to mid-february was when everything (globally) was still acting normal. I was flying for business, etc..

So if outbreaks started in january, and people have been spreading it on things like non-ventilated airplanes (similar K1052s cruise ship analogy) then it has simply been spreading like wildfire ever since.

So 1 person on a plane, spreads it to a huge batch on the plane, those people take it home or to work the next day...

Then tons of infected get on subsequent flights, connecting flights, etc...

The whole thing of "first cases" when we first started fearmongering in mid-march makes me laugh if people honestly believe that it hadn't been all over the place since February.

Transmission on planes, while certain to exist, isn't likely comparable with ships where you've got thousands of people literally living on top of each other day after day. The speed of outbreaks on naval vessels even compared to cruise ships really illuminates this.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Interesting article about why/how the "shortage"in grocery shelves are happening -

In other news, eggs are a bit down from $1.99/dozen to $1.39/dozen and whole chickens are down to $0.99/lb (regular sale price).

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
WRT businesses opening up again I'm starting to get a lot emails from suppliers selling all kinds of new dividers and shields for office spaces/retail business/food service. I'm thinking we will be seeing a lot of this in the months ahead.

Reactions: ch33zw1z