NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 294 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Finally some more progress on the testing supply front:

FDA Approves Synthetic Swabs for Coronavirus Testing

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Thursday spun synthetic swabs could be used for coronavirus testing by collecting a sample from the front of the nose.

This type of testing would allow self-collection by patients, thereby limiting exposure of healthcare providers, FDA said.

"U.S. Cotton plans to produce these new polyester swabs in large quantities to help meet the needs for coronavirus diagnostic testing," the regulator said in a statement.

The finding that spun synthetic swabs could be used for testing is based on results from a clinical investigation by the FDA, UnitedHealth Group, the Gates Foundation, and Quantigen.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/04/16/us/16reuters-health-coronavirus-testing-fda.html

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
They need to invent a pill I can take. I don't want to have to be on IV and hospitalized to receive treatment if I catch this thing. Remdesevir is not the answer for the masses even if it works somewhat.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They need to invent a pill I can take. I don't want to have to be on IV and hospitalized to receive treatment if I catch this thing. Remdesevir is not the answer for the masses even if it works somewhat.

It would take longer to develop such a pill than to get all the way to mass vaccination. Remdesivir, if it works, would be a stopgap to keep many thousands of people from dying. I'd take a week in the hospital over (potentially) the grave.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
My state just mandated masks in public:

My state just mandated masks on public beaches and social distancing.
Oh wait, no they didn't.
flbeaches.jpg

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Hoping a local plastic injection Molding factory is near me making masks, i hope to volunteer. Hoping anyone saw what i posted on the last page and decides to try and contribute to this as well. :)

I think the 3d printing is the start, the factories sure do pump out tons more so if you got experience in it like me then PLEASE give it consideration.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: killster1

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Hoping a local plastic Ejection Molding factory is near me making masks, i hope to volunteer. Hoping anyone saw what i posted on the last page and decides to try and contribute to this as well. :)

I think the 3d printing is the start, the factories sure do pump out tons more so if you got experience in it like me then PLEASE give it consideration.

Injection Molding.

Injection Molds are very expensive to make.

Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Injection Molding.

Injection Molds are very expensive to make.

Yeah working on like 3 hours of sleep here, fairly typical been a thing with hypomania nearly 2 months now. Messes with concentration a bit. Yeah they are, if you did not man those machines and the molds stuck together and you didn't stop the machine? Consider yourself usually fired. My ex wifes cousin did that and well he got lucky but man he got rimmed severely.

Edit: Ty for fixing it for me :p dang grammar Nazi :) Kidding.

Reactions: pcgeek11

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Purtian makes NP swabs but also can make different ones that can also be used for testing.

File this under "things that should have been done more than 30 days ago". The DPA is extremely powerful in that the government can order vast quantities of supplies quickly and under terms that ensure companies aren't left holding the bag when the crisis eases so they'll actually do it. This is how you get the stuff you need in quantity fast.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Not a single thing i need till second week of may, sadly do need to withdraw cash first week of may and pick up more indica. Will be in a KN95 mask for both situations then good till groceries mid May.

Not missing interacting with people. Been reading and learning on lots of stuff. Its been quite fun :) Kinda relaxed right now, not a worry in the world for me. Hoping anyone else is the same mood as me :)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Saw this on Facebook from someone who doesn't seem to understand stock photography:
0476f0ff32439c4d3c03c599b4f98c0e.jpg

...but it seems CBS doesn't understand either:
8390217e9426c5abfb3bc10d889f2a68.jpg

An awful lot of what we've been shaking our heads at for the last two months could be stock photography.

While we're at it, Maddox would like to introduce them all to the concept of "B-Roll" footage:

Reactions: killster1

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It seems that the US will officially have identified a third of all known cases within a day. That's a lot of testing but it's obviously a lot of cases too so no time to slow down.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It seems that the US will officially have identified a third of all known cases within a day. That's a lot of testing but it's obviously a lot of cases too so no time to slow down.

It took the FDA far too long to approve these tests, and I'm overwhelmingly disappointed in the CDC for not being at the forefront of producing such tests. The CDC has been in decline for years.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It took the FDA far too long to approve these tests, and I'm overwhelmingly disappointed in the CDC for not being at the forefront of producing such tests. The CDC has been in decline for years.
On that note...

This says we were set back a month by bad tests. I thought it was more like two weeks. :(

Well, good to have a little more insight into what went wrong. Rushing causes problems.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
A pre-clinical trial for Remdesevir was done on macaques with promising results. Animals that received the treatment had significantly less of the virus in their lungs and their recovery began within 12 hours of treatment.

I think proper treatment is going to be what gets the world back on its feet. The vaccine is going to take way too long, and we don't know if it will be effective.

Remdesevir can cause major renal issues. My wife was telling me that the doctors at her hospital are not really considering it except for extreme cases because of this (just rumor though, nurses like to gossip, so who knows)

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
That's a stock photo.

Heh, how about this one.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...me-beaches-reopen-and-schools-to-stay-closed/

People walk on the beach during the coronavirus pandemic Friday, April 17, 2020 on Jacksonville Beach, Fla. [WILL DICKEY | The Florida Times-Union via AP]
C4TEHUJBTVF7NDP24NEKDW5HKQ.jpg

News videos.

Reactions: CZroe
Nov 8, 2012
Heh, how about this one.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...me-beaches-reopen-and-schools-to-stay-closed/

C4TEHUJBTVF7NDP24NEKDW5HKQ.jpg

News videos.

To be honest... who really cares? The concept of containment is meant for the basis of medical treatment - NOT for not getting virus altogether. This virus is going to be a lot like the flu... it's never going away after this.

So let them be the first pick of testing it. As long as most of the population abstains and the hospitals can keep-up with the demand....

The point being - even if everyone goes into quarantine for 3 months, this thing will still continue to spread.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Saw this on Facebook from someone who doesn't seem to understand stock photography:

The problem is not understanding stock photography. It's that the local stations and news organizations are using old pictures and acting like they are new without disclosing they are stock.

Reactions: pmv

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The problem is not understanding stock photography. It's that the local stations and news organizations are using old pictures and acting like they are new without disclosing they are stock.
You're right but, well, it wouldn't make sense to send a reporter and photographer to the beach in a story critical of people going to the beach. ;)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You're right but, well, it wouldn't make sense to send a reporter and photographer to the beach in a story critical of people going to the beach. ;)
they could easily park a block away and use a drone, a telephoto, many different options. they dont need to get out and walk on the beach with everyone to take the photo.

Reactions: mopardude87

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
On that note...

This says we were set back a month by bad tests. I thought it was more like two weeks. :(

Well, good to have a little more insight into what went wrong. Rushing causes problems.

Not sure if rushing was a factor. It sounds more like CDC management made some bad decisions for the test kit design. Here is an in-depth article from WaPo that pieces together what happened in greater detail.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
they could easily park a block away and use a drone, a telephoto, many different options. they dont need to get out and walk on the beach with everyone to take the photo.

I agree drone technology is pretty good. I saw videos of people with the phantom drones who upgrade the receiver and can put them on auto pilot and they go as high as the clouds.

I thought about getting one but people make a habit of shooting the hobby ones down often cause of various reasons. You can guess what those reasons are i assume.