NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 212 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
That might happen here, but we have a LOT of food processing in this country. It's pretty staggering.

I have no problem with that happening in the United States. Problem is that getting food from huge "factory farms" is going to be a lot harder that way than patronizing smaller, local farms that already rely on limited local supply chains.

That's probably more due to breakdown of supply chains than anything else.
Same thing might not happen in the US. Like you mentioned, US has lot of food processing plants and our farms are pretty much all large huge industrial farms. SK has mainly small mom and pop local farms.

But I like to study South Korea because they already went through what we're going through so it gives me some insight to what we might expect.

I also agree with you about Costco produce prices being expensive right now because of breakdown of supply chains. But that just speaks to the crazy situation we have right now. Costco probably has one of the best supply chain in retail.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Not near me. I went into Publix each day the last couple of days and they had ground nothing. No version of ground beef, turkey, etc. I was stunned.
Check you local Kroger. I don't normally shop at Kroger but they're advertising USDA Choice beef brisket for $1.99 /lb. That's super cheap. So I went there tonight and bought one. They also had some ground beef but I didn't buy any because I bought 6 pounds of ground beef from Costco other day and grilled some burgers yesterday. :)

DbbdH08h.jpg

Here's the brisket I bought from Kroger tonight. 17 lb packer for $34. $1.99 /lb. Can't beat that. That's the cheapest price I've paid for brisket. At this price, you can use the brisket to make your own ground beef.
VPAQuJOh.jpg

19mZSELh.jpg

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I read that eggs and chicken will be higher pretty soon because of supply and demand. Kroger has pork loin for $2.99/lb now, about 2x the sale price so a lot of them are still on the shelves.

Target has a person that cleans all the handles for all the shopping carts before the customers can use them. Still no toilet paper in all of the big box stores (Walmart, Kroger, Target, etc.).

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I read that eggs and chicken will be higher pretty soon because of supply and demand. Kroger has pork loin for $2.99/lb now, about 2x the sale price so a lot of them are still on the shelves.

Target has a person that cleans all the handles for all the shopping carts before the customers can use them. Still no toilet paper in all of the big box stores (Walmart, Kroger, Target, etc.).
Yeah. I've been thinking about how this might affect the egg market for a few weeks now.

Flu vaccine production uses hundreds of millions of chicken eggs. Even if they don't use them for the COVID-19 vaccine they should expect more people than ever to get the flu vaccine, which probably means even fewer eggs. Higher prices, ahoy.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I'm downloading (on a 1Mbps connection) all of the original David Lynch' Dune, just so i can hear that ONE instance of the main theme, with the guitar. The one when he's riding the worm. Apparently, it only exists in the film, not in any of the soundtracks.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
My bad luck continues...main computer motherboard decides to die after 8 years. Im still using my trusty Sandybridge CPU 2700K from 2011 on the (former) Asrock Z77. For everything I do this CPU is adequate.

Running the "emergency" computer during these "emergency" times. Hopefully the current shuttered economy doesnt affect my ability to get parts. I've been ordering lots of things lately and havent had any problems yet. :)

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Check you local Kroger. I don't normally shop at Kroger but they're advertising USDA Choice beef brisket for $1.99 /lb. That's super cheap. So I went there tonight and bought one. They also had some ground beef but I didn't buy any because I bought 6 pounds of ground beef from Costco other day and grilled some burgers yesterday. :)

All sorts of food deals going on right now. Restaurants are doing ANYTHING to stay alive.

Jersey Mikes had a lunch special today - 50% off any order. We bought for the entire office (the remaining brave souls who are still coming into work). It was so popular the website crashed!

Then there is a local upscale restaurant that normally serves steak, buffalo, quail, truffles, etc. Right now they are having a special serving a family of four to go for $40. Thats the typical per plate price. I can see the line of cars out of my window. They've been lining up for over an hour and clogging a nearby road.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
All sorts of food deals going on right now. Restaurants are doing ANYTHING to stay alive.

Jersey Mikes had a lunch special today - 50% off any order. We bought for the entire office (the remaining brave souls who are still coming into work). It was so popular the website crashed!

Then there is a local upscale restaurant that normally serves steak, buffalo, quail, truffles, etc. Right now they are having a special serving a family of four to go for $40. Thats the typical per plate price. I can see the line of cars out of my window. They've been lining up for over an hour and clogging a nearby road.
My friend and former roommate manages a 24/7/365 diner that's part of a chain. Today he resorted to calling friends and family to come order something to keep his location afloat. My brother obliged and brought me an $8+ sandwich at work. Our friend included a bunch of cards offering free hash browns with any order and asked me to leave them in the break room to drum up business.

This former roommate moved out to get married and now has a kid and a mortgage payment so I really hope this dude can swing this. :(

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
All of the restaurants around here are doing their best to drum up business. They have sighs or marque boards to notify the public that they are still open via drive through, delivery, and pick up. The upper class Tex Mex place has several sights outside about $6 lunch plate pick up. Never saw a price that low from that place. I will try to pick one or two soon.

Oh and most of the Waffle House places around here are closed. So strange that they are closed because they seem to open all the times.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The news today keeps saying the US leads the world in the number of cases now at 86000+. I call bullshit that China doesn't have more since they were at 80k near the Beginning of March. Did they just stop testing altogether? They can't have that good of a handle on things unless they have a vaccine. That seems as though their lack of releasing actual numbers is more propaganda to make it look like the US is out of control. (apparently, that's a thing now)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Amazons recommendation this morning:

Reactions: IronWing

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The news today keeps saying the US leads the world in the number of cases now at 86000+. I call bullshit that China doesn't have more since they were at 80k near the Beginning of March. Did they just stop testing altogether? They can't have that good of a handle on things unless they have a vaccine. That seems as though their lack of releasing actual numbers is more propaganda to make it look like the US is out of control. (apparently, that's a thing now)
Don't worry, in a month or two America will have so many more infected that we'll have China beat no matter how much they're fudging their numbers.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
All of the restaurants around here are doing their best to drum up business. They have sighs or marque boards to notify the public that they are still open via drive through, delivery, and pick up. The upper class Tex Mex place has several sights outside about $6 lunch plate pick up. Never saw a price that low from that place. I will try to pick one or two soon.

Oh and most of the Waffle House places around here are closed. So strange that they are closed because they seem to open all the times.

Well, for the moment my friend's Waffle House is still open [for curbside pickup and experimenting with delivery] at GA I-85 exit 51. :)

Waffle House
4410 GA-154, Newnan, GA 30265
(678) 423-1015

Heard it said a million times before: "It ain't the end of the world 'til you see Waffle House closed."

Last edited:

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017

China's numbers are almost certainly higher, but it does appear that they've gotten things under control. I suppose totalitarianism occasionally has its benefits.

Don't worry, in a month or two America will have so many more infected that we'll have China beat no matter how much they're fudging their numbers.
We already have China beat.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So the office is mostly setup to work at home now. Since the company wants 24/7 coverage at the office too, the 12h guy (that's me for day shift today) will stay at the office while everyone goes home. Oddly, managers have to stay in too, they're not allowed to work from home at all. So it's me and the boss lol. But at least we're minimizing exposure at least.

It's kinda interesting though being the only one in the office and the phones answer themselves! I guess I should pick it up too once in a while.

We're just chatting in our office chat program lol. If the company logs it they're going to hear lot of weird conversations and possibly own IP rights to some really weird ideas we came up with, like a poutine vending machine.

As a side note, Bank of Canada just dropped interest rate to 0.25%. Pretty crazy stuff.

My bank will be calling me at some point to see if it's worth remortgaging as I emailed them a while back. Got them to check how much I would save vs what the penalty would be. They are busy so will probably be a while, which is ok given it might drop even more...