NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 209 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So looks like my workplace is finally starting to transition people to work from home. They still insist on 24/7 coverage within the office though so we're still going to be having to go in to work depending on the shift. I start 12h shifts on Friday so my guess is I'll be staying at the office then moving my stuff home after my set of shifts is done.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
TIL arabia is not in asia.

and dari is wrong about the bubonic plague. doesn't have anything to do with eating bush meat, and may have originated in kyrgistan, then spread into china by traders. H1N1 may have originated on a pig farm in kansas. may have originated in france. may have originated in china. but, hey, what's information when you've got the certainty of ignorance.

On the Arabia part -- woopsie, more or less meant "East Asia".

👍

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I sat here a moment and I just don't have anything really in response to your recent racist, bigoted, and xenophobic remarks.

But you should know zoonotic virus transfer happens everywhere. Happens often actually; quite a few random little viruses people will experience may be new strains that just aren't capable of spreading well and eventually die off. Or they don't, and mutate along the way.
MERS, another coronavirus of recent importance, is one that did not originate in Asia* East Asia, nor did it originate from exotic eating habits. It originated in the middle east, and the zoonotic transfer either occurred directly from camel to man, or indirectly via another host. Thankfully MERS didn't seem to be have "qualities" to spread far, and it didn't use the ace2 receptor like both SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2.

It could come from a pet even, as some coronaviruses can infect dogs and there may be dog-specific strains. This strain appears to even be capable though it appears rarely.

But listen, bashing China is fun and all, but this is just part of the natural result of massive population density. Now China has not helped by permitting such high density wet markets (or not doing enough to crack down on them), but they are not the sole source of such viruses. This one was sneaky due to the typically long lag time in symptoms and large spread of possible symptoms. I don't encourage the conditions in China that led to this but I also don't blame China either. Viruses are viruses.
It's like you didn't even read what I wrote. And none of what you wrote changes anything. The blame squarely lies with the source. If this nastiness started in NYC I would blame NYers. But it didn't. It started in China. Dismiss what I said as the latest pathetic victim badges but China is still to blame for this pandemic. Their love of all things disgusting is what led to this global misery. People that were supposed to live longer are now dropping like flies and it's all because some Chinese somewhere wanted his bat when he went to the local market. That's just a fact.

• Wow
Reactions: TeeJay1952

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Nonsense, it's the combination of people over there fucking like rabbits & eating cats, bats, rats, anything that moves, basically. They gave the world the plague. There was no Communist party 700 years ago. The miasma of despair and melancholy hanging over the world is because they can't quit consuming every animal on earth. It was just last week when two of the three last white giraffes on earth were killed by poachers. Who do you think uses those animals and others as aphrodisiacs? I mean, seeing how there's like a trillion Chinese walking this earth, do they really need to use dead exotic animals as a stimulant to fuck? Really?

Raymond Kurzweil famously said that the future is already here, just unevenly distributed. If China is humanity's future, the entire planet is fucked, including our humanity. They need to be pacified.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Nonsense, it's the combination of people over there fucking like rabbits & eating cats, bats, rats, anything that moves, basically. They gave the world the plague. The miasma of despair and melancholy hanging over the world is because they can't quit consuming every animal on earth. It was just last week when two of the three last white giraffes on earth were killed by poachers. Who do you think uses those animals and others as aphrodisiacs?

Raymond Kurzweil famously said that the future is already here, just unevenly distributed. If China is humanity's future, the entire planet is fucked, including our humanity. They need to be pacified.

Very likely this is the origin of Covid-19 BUT had China come clean about the gravity of the situation when it actually began months ago I suspect we would be in a lot better shape right now.

Reactions: nakedfrog

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
https://la.eater.com/2020/3/25/21194144/cheesecake-factory-rent-strike-chain-restaurant

Cheesecake Factory restaurant tells landlords it won't pay rent on April 1st. Cheesecake Factory is big chain restaurant. How many little mom and pop restaurants and shops are in the same position or worse? What happened with people losing their homes after 2008 housing collapse is going to happen with commercial real estate this time. Shopping centers and building owners are going to go bust and not be able to pay their big commercial mortgage loans. If you have some money, there's going to be great opportunities to pickup some buildings or properties for the cheap in the future. And for people wanting to start a restaurant, you're going to have the opportunity of a lifetime to lease spaces super cheap with very favorable terms and buy used restaurant equipments at fraction of the price. So if you ever dreamed of starting your own restaurant, get your stuff together and get ready.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Very likely this is the origin of Covid-19 BUT had China come clean about the gravity of the situation when it actually began months ago I suspect we would be in a lot better shape right now.

That's pretty much it, unfortunately. When people on the news were saying China should forgive the $1 trillion American debt owed to them, I laughed, but then I saw the $2 trillion dollar stimulus bill that just got approved, and read that article on how China hid everything for nearly 2 months, and yeah...it starts to make more sense. They had a chance to ask for help & take it seriously & potential curtail the spread, the response, the loss of life, and the economic impact, and they didn't, and now the world is dealing with the consequences. This is an interesting article on that topic:

Reactions: Captante

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
https://la.eater.com/2020/3/25/21194144/cheesecake-factory-rent-strike-chain-restaurant

Cheesecake Factory restaurant tells landlords it won't pay rent on April 1st. Cheesecake Factory is big chain restaurant. How many little mom and pop restaurants and shops are in the same position or worse? What happened with people losing their homes after 2008 housing collapse is going to happen with commercial real estate this time. Shopping centers and building owners are going to go bust and not be able to pay their big commercial mortgage loans. If you have some money, there's going to be great opportunities to pickup some buildings or properties for the cheap in the future. And for people wanting to start a restaurant, you're going to have the opportunity of a lifetime to lease spaces super cheap with very favorable terms and buy used restaurant equipments at fraction of the price. So if you ever dreamed of starting your own restaurant, get your stuff together and get ready.

My local Facebook feed is full of business closing up shop for good. The latest one was also a chain...
eHYpE4Gl.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

$2.4 billion in revenue last year, and they can't make rent one month into an economic hiccup? They have no corporate slush fund for lean times? Nothing prepared? Really?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Bros! I had a dream.

Had a dream that Trump concocted a COVID-19 experimental drug that ended humanity. The peop

Yea, but itsn't this a dominoe affect? This affects the cheescake factory. People are laid off work. The unemployment rate goes up. Homes lost. Taxes lowered because less home owners. Schools aren't funded properly. Loss of more jobs. Etc.. This could go so many bad ways. Our exconomy was mostly fake TBH. Most of it run on credit. How many companies have high amaounts of cash laying around besides the big ones like Apple, Walmart and Amazon. My parents were small business owners for 25 years. They ran of razor thin margins. Sadly this is most of America.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
$2.4 billion in revenue last year, and they can't make rent one month into an economic hiccup? They have no corporate slush fund for lean times? Nothing prepared? Really?

Maybe they are playing the position of "we need money, so please bail us out US government."

They engage in this practice while they layoff thousands and their CEOs profit.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Like I said before, modern corporations are debt engines. Profits go straight to shareholders/executives. Capital reserves are for suckers. Build up a cash reserve and in swoop the Romneys of the world to raid it.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My local Facebook feed is full of business closing up shop for good. The latest one was also a chain...

Yeah, I've got both clients & friends in the restaurant business, and they are really hurting. Margins are almost always super tight no matter how well you do as an individual restaurant or small chain. They are falling one by one in my area. Some of them hope to get back up & running once the virus blows over (hopefully soon, not 18 months from now), but I suspect a lot of them will be shut down for good :(

Reactions: CZroe

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Like I said before, modern corporations are debt engines. Profits go straight to shareholders/executives. Capital reserves are for suckers. Build up a cash reserve and in swoop the Romneys of the world to raid it.

Yup, that's how the incentives are structured. It's amazing that any corporate place stays in business these days. Apple is one of the few who has a huge cash hoard & can ride out economic inconsistencies, but not many companies have anywhere near that level of a safety net built up, or even have a safety net period.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
That's pretty much it, unfortunately. When people on the news were saying China should forgive the $1 trillion American debt owed to them, I laughed, but then I saw the $2 trillion dollar stimulus bill that just got approved, and read that article on how China hid everything for nearly 2 months, and yeah...it starts to make more sense. They had a chance to ask for help & take it seriously & potential curtail the spread, the response, the loss of life, and the economic impact, and they didn't, and now the world is dealing with the consequences. This is an interesting article on that topic:

They should but they won't. They're blaming us for this virus. Truly evil and wicked people.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Yup, that's how the incentives are structured. It's amazing that any corporate place stays in business these days. Apple is one of the few who has a huge cash hoard & can ride out economic inconsistencies, but not many companies have anywhere near that level of a safety net built up, or even have a safety net period.
Apple is no different. They may have hundreds of billions of dollars in banks around the world but they also have well over a hundred billion dollars in debt. They aren't stupid enough to use cash for all their transactions.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
d4b548b1a1b643426501e98ddca00c7f.jpg

We're set to get an Italy update in 20 minutes but for the moment the numbers show we're essentially tied for #1 outside of China (cases).

Nov 8, 2012

That's straight-up terrorist behavior.

That's a "lock you up and throw away the key for life" kind of shit. There is no reason for someone like that to be amongst normal people of society.

You have to be a complete shithead to do something like that.