NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 208 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So how nuts is everyone here going? To the point yet of wiping down all your mail pieces (and packages) with hand-sanitize?

When you get take-out food to you wipe down the bag and to-go box that the food is in

No, but I do take the food out soon as I get home then dispose of the packaging and wash up.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
  • Haha
Reactions: Captante

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Study from Iceland shown 1/2 the positive cases have no symptoms(carrier), are carrier immune? If they're + people that are naturally immune it give me some hope. Sorry if this is a dumb ass question.

Reactions: ponyo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have no idea what "joke" you people are babbling about. That may not much matter, I figure...

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I saw a clip on TV earlier today. Dr. Fauci said this virus could come back again, like seasonal flu. We better get a working vaccine by then or we are screwed. The world's economy and humanity can't handle another round of beating like this again.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No, the lack of testing was because of the CDC rejecting the WHO test in lieu of their own, bungling their own (first run didn't work), refusing tests offered to us from other countries, blocking states from doing their own testing, forcing all tests to go through the CDC (huge lag time), and banning at-home self-testing. It's a bureaucracy being a bureaucracy and Trump didn't make any of those decisions.

Things are finally improving but that first batch of bad tests really set us back, especially with all the other red tape.
And you give Trump a pass on the CDC's ineptitude in handling this? He was trying to cut back their funding. He could have done something to boost the CDC's effectiveness as it became clear (to any intelligent clear thinking person) that a world wide major pandemic was in the offing. I will NOT excuse Trump's ineptitude in January and February in regards to our crisis here. Our lack of testing is our achilles heel.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I saw a clip on TV earlier today. Dr. Fauci said this virus could come back again, like seasonal flu. We better get a working vaccine by then or we are screwed. The world's economy and humanity can't handle another round of beating like this again.
I agree. However, there's reason to be hopeful and apparently actually optimistic. Dr. Larry Brilliant, chief consultant on Contagion, thinks it's likely that an effective vaccine will be developed. This article is the reason I say this:

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-interview-larry-brilliant-smallpox-epidemiologist/

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
And you give Trump a pass on the CDC's ineptitude in handling this? He was trying to cut back their funding. He could have done something to boost the CDC's effectiveness as it became clear (to any intelligent clear thinking person) that a world wide major pandemic was in the offing. I will NOT excuse Trump's ineptitude in January and February in regards to our crisis here.

NON_POLITICAL (???) :rolleyes:

Just sayin.