NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 206 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
There are several municipalities around here begin to enforce curfews from late evening to early morning.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
OK, this was unexpected. My local hospital just furloughed 200 people due to lack of patients.

I guess if you have to get derailed it's better to have too few patients than too many, right?

Although, we might just be getting started here. The county i live in just had our 1st positive test.

I hear there are some hospitals that need more personnel due to the outbreak. Probably wont be long to get reemployed if they dont mind temporary relocation.

Also I think your hospital needs more patience. The patients will show up sooner or later.

Get it? Patience?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Wait for it, the shocking will return. Not so much the cases, which will be many, but the fact that of all the places where they have stopped the growth life has not returned to normal because that is the only way to keep it down.
Oh, I'm prepared. I know life won't return to normal for lot longer because I follow South Korea closely. They pretty much have the virus under control there, and things are still far from normal. People are still not shopping much and small business owners are suffering and dying there. It's going to be the same all over the world regardless of the stimulus. Until people feel completely safe, life won't return to normal. And that requires vaccine or some kind of medicine.

I think if Florida blows up, people are going to freak out. I bought leap puts on Disney and Starbucks today because I think this recovery is going to take lot longer than people expect.

Reactions: local

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I hear there are some hospitals that need more personnel due to the outbreak. Probably wont be long to get reemployed if they dont mind temporary relocation.
Yeah, i'm sure they could if they wanted to go to the front lines, so to speak.
Heard some med school graduated students early so they could help out. Didn't catch where though.

Also I think your hospital needs more patience. The patients will show up sooner or later.

Get it? Patience?
Lemme guess, you'll be here all week? :)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Interesting advice from a doctor about how to handle groceries safely.

I like the fact that in 2019 this would seem like a parody about germaphobes, but now it's normal lol.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
As to certain countries "peaking", at least with the US it seems like different cities(areas) will peak at different times so it's hard to tell how long this will go on. I assume other countries are similar. I've been following what's happening in various countries without knowing which cities are effected.
Started in Washington(Seattle), moved to Cali(SF?) then NYC/Jersey. Next could be Florida, Mi.(Detroit), Ill.(Chicago) and on & on. Guess it'll just take longer to spread across the country than in most European countries.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Oh, I'm prepared. I know life won't return to normal for lot longer because I follow South Korea closely. They pretty much have the virus under control there, and things are still far from normal. People are still not shopping much and small business owners are suffering and dying there. It's going to be the same all over the world regardless of the stimulus. Until people feel completely safe, life won't return to normal. And that requires vaccine or some kind of medicine.

I think if Florida blows up, people are going to freak out. I bought leap puts on Disney and Starbucks today because I think this recovery is going to take lot longer than people expect.

I've been flip flopping for months on the virus and it looks like I'll continue. I was thinking we had a long road ahead, but with all the manpower we have behind this, maybe we will find some sort of treatment that works reasonably well before we get a working vaccine. It's only until then will things be completely back to normal, once the whole world gets to that point. What happens if/when we get it under control but others don't? That will interesting

And it seems we're still not sure exactly how easily this thing spreads. Are we doing enough with social distancing or not? China and I assume South Korea had much stricter lockdowns, and I think the same with Italy once things started getting bad, yet the horror continued?

Reactions: Muse

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Wow, China really f&cked the world. All this misery because someone there wanted bat soup or stir-fried bat. For all its development China is still a backwards country. They can't be further integrated into the world if they don't change. They are backwards.

• Wow
Reactions: TeeJay1952

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Wow, China really f&cked the world. All this misery because someone there wanted bat soup or stir-fried bat. For all its development China is still a backwards country. They can't be further integrated into the world if they don't change. They are backwards.

While it is true that COVID 19 and SARS originated in Chinese wet markets or exotic animal markets with cramped and squalid conditions, there are strange things eaten all over the world. It was just a matter of time. And sadly, this wont be the last time.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
While it is true that COVID 19 and SARS originated in Chinese wet markets or exotic animal markets with cramped and squalid conditions, there are strange things eaten all over the world. It was just a matter of time. And sadly, this wont be the last time.
A LOT of plagues have originated in China. Other countries may eat bush meat, but the Chinese have a knack for spreading these nasty pathogens far and wide. They brought the Black Death to Europe. They did it again with the Spanish flu and then SARS. Now it's the Chinese virus of 2019. These people bring misery to the world. Population density has a lot to do with it. Africans and others eat bush meat but their populations are much smaller and vast distances separate the peoples. China is just a bad combination of all the things needed to start a pandemic. They are unique in that aspect.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't want to get political but it will be really interesting to see whether or not this was an honest mistake by China or if this was actually on purpose, or at least, due to a huge act of negligence. I'm open minded to either right now, I just hope that in the end the truth does come out.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I don't want to get political but it will be really interesting to see whether or not this was an honest mistake by China or if this was actually on purpose, or at least, due to a huge act of negligence. I'm open minded to either right now, I just hope that in the end the truth does come out.
If you think you're going to get an honest answer from Communists then you are a fool. These people killed 50 million of their own people during the Cultural Revolution. That's one out of every 16 person that died at the time. Think about that. And they've never acknowledged it. If they can do that to their own people and try to erase it from history, do you think they will acknowledge this? The Communists are a wicked people, on par with the Nazis in terms of death.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
OK, this was unexpected. My local hospital just furloughed 200 people due to lack of patients.

If those people are nurses with experience and license, they need to head to NY state. I saw a story about how nurse are needed there. Nurses can make about $100 per hour to work in that area right now to fight the virus. Not too shabby.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
thats not really fair.
Think about all the shit Americans do that horribly impacts the world.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I think a lot of it has to due with excessive population worldwide. In the past you had things that kept numbers in check like dangerous animals, diseases with no cure, large regional conflicts or even world wars that kill tens of millions.

Nowadays we have unlimited population growth with nothing to keep it in check other than obesity, poverty/starvation or natural causes of aging. Rarely do we have something like a Spanish Flu killing millions or bubonic plague that would wipe out 25% of all humans.

A 25% loss of life would equate to almost 2,000,000,000 dead. Thats unimaginable today.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
If those people are nurses with experience and license, they need to head to NY state. I saw a story about how nurse are needed there. Nurses can make about $100 per hour to work in that area right now to fight the virus. Not too shabby.
But NY State is looking for volunteers...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
thats not really fair.
Yeah, it isn't really fair. Tell that to the families of the dead, unemployed and those hospitalized right now. All that misery, but let's be PC and pretend it didn't come from a place with a history of gifting the world with miserable viruses.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
thats not really fair.

The US did a lot of bad things but at least it acknowledges the bad deeds. You can have open discussion about what happened to Native Americans, slavery, etc. Just try to talk about Tienanmen Square massacre in 1989 in mainland china and see how long you would last before a knock on your door.

Nov 8, 2012
China or any controlling government state will always hide or avoid the truth on any matter they don't want you to know....

That said, I don't think china would do on purpose in the slightest. When Americans aren't buying shit, they aren't buying from China either.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
So they are paying chinese(or other countries?) factories to make n95 masks? I guess that works. Wonder how long itll take to get them though.

Depends on how many they can take from other places apparently. It seems we may be at max N95 production for a while.

But of course I'm sure someone will find a way to vastly improve on those timelines or make an alternative product.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
you know what, fuck you. just a few days ago you were on the fuck all the old people im young and i wont die train. just fuck you you sack of lying shit.
A potty mouth and lack of reading comprehension. The name 'Randay' suits you quite well.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Depends on how many they can take from other places apparently. It seems we may be at max N95 production for a while.

But of course I'm sure someone will find a way to vastly improve on those timelines or make an alternative product.
I believe they are paying their suppliers(factories in china) to rejigger the factory to make n95 masks. The huge quantity is a result of having to purchase a minimum amount(millions) to make reworking the factory worth it for them.

I could be wrong but thats my guess. So my question is how long will it take. 10 million masks next week is great, 10 million masks 3 months from now... not so great.