NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 777 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just recovered from a cold, at least I think it was a cold... lol. I didn't bother testing as I had no test kits but I stayed home mostly. Just went out for walks to get some air and at one point I needed groceries so did curbside pickup. My manager let me work my nights from home, that was actually pretty nice. I'm back at the office now though since I'm better.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Kid got sick, slight fever and cough a ton. This has triggered his asthma. Probably caught it from school since he just started using regular surgical mask, from KN95 mask.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
"The FDA said in a statement that the change is being made because of the risk of a rare and dangerous clotting condition called thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) after receiving the vaccine.

Johnson & Johnson said in a statement at the time, "The safety and well-being of the people who use our products is our number one priority. We are aware of an extremely rare disorder involving people with blood clots in combination with low platelets in a small number of individuals who have received our COVID-19 vaccine. ... We have been working closely with medical experts and health authorities, and we strongly support the open communication of this information to healthcare professionals and the public."

In an updated fact sheet on the vaccine, the FDA says that 15% of TTS cases have been fatal.

The agency's updated analysis of the vaccine includes cases reported to its Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS) database through March 18. The FDA says it has confirmed 60 cases of TTS, including nine deaths."

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
To be fair the slope the current rise is less than any of the prior 3. But at the same time reporting is also down, so who knows what's really going on.
I agree. I think we need to learn not to compare one time period of infections to another. Early on, there were very few tests thus people were undercounted. Now that tests have been mailed out and are selling for a couple bucks on clearance at every grocery store that I go to, people are being undercounted. But, if you zoom in to a small timeframe, the data is useful. There is a definite recent uptick, so we should definitely be more cautious.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Well, we're already at 484 cases for this week, with two more days to track, it seems a foregone conclusion we'll top last week's 490, so the slope will continue upwards.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We've made it back up to a 10% positivity rate in my county, after being around 3% for a few weeks.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Connecticut 7-day rolling positivity now @ 12.39%... been creeping steadily upwards for weeks now.

316 serious/hospitalized cases state-wide.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaido

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Friendly reminder, 300-400 Americans are still dying every day from this. For comparison, CDC estimates between 20 and 50 deaths per day from the flu, generally only during the winter months however (at least that's the statistics I could find).

Reactions: Muse and Captante

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
We finally had confirmed COVID in our house. My wife and I took our first vacation in 3 years (or since we had our son). She got COVID on the trip. I never tested positive despite sleeping in the same bed for two nights AFTER she developed symptoms, plus an 8 hour car drive back home.

Her symptoms were a cyclical.
Day 0: Not feeling right, maybe sick but also considering we're just exhausted from being parents
Day 1: massive fatigue - but we still went on a ~2000 foot elevation change hike (we weren't even thinking COVID at this point)
Day 2: Light cough and runny nose starting - we're thinking ok this is odd, but we'll check test right before we get home (8 hour drive)
--- Positive rapid test
Day 3: She's isolating the garage, I'm isolating in the guest bedroom. Our son's grandparents extend their trip through our isolation period.
--- Days 3-7: We pretty much spend all day outdoors, did lots of walks since we both felt totally fine aside from her light symptoms, and it was great weather for it in the low/mid 70s
Day 4: She's already feeling normal minus this lingering cough which is mostly in the morning and just a few times throughout the day
Day 6: Still lingering cough, different brand of rapid test positive again, I'm still negative
Day 10: Isolation ends, I still test negative (we're not longer testing my wife as we've read it can read positive for well after the infection is cleared due to dead virus)
We're current on day 14-15 since our Day 0 and have been back to normal for a few days.

Had COVID not existed, we wouldn't have though anything of this. I'm just wondering how the **** I did not get it or at least test positive being in long exposed close contact of one of the most infectious diseases known.

I either got very lucky, or we had BA1 and this was just a minor reinfection of BA.2. And we did have one particular case where we all got sick, and it started with a parched/scratchy throat and nothing else for the first day, followed by a cycle of symptoms over the next 2-3, but I also rapid tested negative there, nobody else tested.

I have a physical coming up next week so I'll certainly be getting an antibody test as part of my blood draw to help explain this. If I test positive for any Omicron antibodies that will mean COVID has ran through our household without us even knowing it and so mentally we will be DONE with the pandemic. It'll be a relief if the antibody test comes back positive.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
8 more covid tests per household can now be ordered at https://www.covid.gov/tests or call 1-800-232-0233.

I still have all but one of the eight tests I received previously but I went ahead and placed another order anyway and now EIGHT more "free" tests incoming.

Somehow I feel like the "gubnint" just MAY have a surplus of these things!

;)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
I still have all but one of the eight tests I received previously but I went ahead and placed another order anyway and now EIGHT more "free" tests incoming.

Somehow I feel like the "gubnint" just MAY have a surplus of these things!

;)
With the abundance of tests (via USPS and the ones your insurance can provide for free), I've just started doing moderately regular testing. Like, went out to a concert or on a trip - test 2-3 days later, regardless of how I feel.