NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 771 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
True but it's looking like masks and vaccines are not providing much protection on whether people get omicron or not.

Mask's only provide protection if they're genuine N95/KN95/KF94 and you wear them properly which many people are apparently incapable of doing based on observation.

Continuing to even have this debate is silly and the fact that "the unwashed masses" have given it their "seal of approval" to go mask-less even in huge indoor crowds where it's a virtual certainty you'll be exposed is no defense.... quite the contrary in my opinion.

Some folks are really like little kids with the wishful thinking! :rolleyes:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
covid don't care that "people have moved on from it." You might find that out, soon....
omicron doesn't seem to care if people are vaccinated or wearing mask either. If I get covid, I get covid. I'm not stressing over it at this point. I'll take my chances. I'm fully vaccinated with boosters.

Mask's only provide protection if they're genuine N95/KN95/KF94 and you wear them properly which many people are apparently incapable of doing based on observation.

Continuing to even have this debate is silly and the fact that "the unwashed masses" have given it their "seal of approval" to go mask-less even in huge indoor crowds where it's a virtual certainty you'll be exposed is no defense.... quite the contrary in my opinion.

Some folks are really like little kids with the wishful thinking! :rolleyes:
There's nothing you can say that can convince me vaccines and masks prevent people from getting covid unless you can explain to me the crazy covid numbers in South Korea. Masks are 100% mandatory in South Korea and they use KF94. And I'm talking everyone. And they wear masks outdoors. It's 100% requirement. Explain to me how country with 86% vaccination rate with 100% mandatory mask usage inside and outdoors can have greater than 1 in 3 of the population infected with covid. Explain that to me. How is that possible if vaccines and masks work on omicron like you say it does?

Omicron changed the game and old rules no longer apply.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
omicron doesn't seem to care if people are vaccinated or wearing mask either. If I get covid, I get covid. I'm not stressing over it at this point. I'll take my chances. I'm fully vaccinated with boosters.

There's nothing you can say that can convince me vaccines and masks prevent people from getting covid unless you can explain to me the crazy covid numbers in South Korea. Masks are 100% mandatory in South Korea and they use KF94. And I'm talking everyone. And they wear masks outdoors. It's 100% requirement. Explain to me how country with 86% vaccination rate with 100% mandatory mask usage inside and outdoors can have greater than 1 in 5 of the population infected with covid. Explain that to me. How is that possible if vaccines and masks work on omicron like you say it does?

Crazy me I'll stick with the opinions of NEARLY EVERY IRL doctor and scientist over that of "Dr ATOT"! (which you now officially represent btw)

I appreciate your food/travel-pics but your medical advice sucks.

;)

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Crazy me I'll stick with the opinions of NEARLY EVERY IRL doctor and scientist over that of "Dr ATOT"! (which you now represent btw)

I appreciate your food/travel-pics but your medical advice sucks.

;)
You have to take care of yourself and do what you're comfortable with.

My travel experience is precisely why I hold this opinion. I experienced firsthand for myself how crazy and strict South Korea was with covid prevention and mask usage. You guys don't understand how draconian their universal mask policy is in South Korea. I'm talking even at the beach outside away from people, you have to wear K94 mask. It's absolutely bonkers how strict mask usage is over there and how everyone complied. And almost everyone in South Korea is fully vaccinated with boosters. I was in South Korea last October and saw and experienced everything firsthand.

South Korea largely avoided alpha and delta covid variants because of their universal strict mask usage. But like I said, old rules don't apply to omicron. If it did, South Korea wouldn't have over 16 million confirmed covid cases. So many people got omicron that South Korea basically stopped testing. So official numbers are actually too low. Over 30% of all South Koreans got omicron if we go by the lower official numbers. Over 30%. That's absolutely bonkers.

Masks clearly worked on alpha and delta. Masks and vaccines clearly don't work on omicron. I think I can put 2+2 together and form my own conclusions.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Your country is still reporting approx 280 positive-tests daily, 18+ people per day are still dying.

Under any other circumstances that information would be pretty dang scary it's just that we're all numb from 2+ years of this.

:oops:

To be fair however Covid IS trending down at the moment in Denmark which is great news! (better then the US can say!)
The thing is there is not a higher death rate compared to normal, so if not covid some other infection would have done the same.

16 on intensive care, 6 with respiratory help, 13 deaths today.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

There's nothing you can say that can convince me vaccines and masks prevent people from getting covid unless you can explain to me the crazy covid numbers in South Korea. Masks are 100% mandatory in South Korea and they use KF94. And I'm talking everyone. And they wear masks outdoors. It's 100% requirement. Explain to me how country with 86% vaccination rate with 100% mandatory mask usage inside and outdoors can have greater than 1 in 3 of the population infected with covid. Explain that to me. How is that possible if vaccines and masks work on omicron like you say it does?

Omicron changed the game and old rules no longer apply.

vaccines aren't really meant to prevent people from contracting the virus they have been designed against. This has been true forever. You've been told this dozens of times already, yet you persist in pretending that isn't true. I don't really know why you keep doing this.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
vaccines aren't really meant to prevent people from contracting the virus they have been designed against. This has been true forever. You've been told this dozens of times already, yet you persist in pretending that isn't true. I don't really know why you keep doing this.
Hepatitis B vaccine. This is a terrible disease that affects millions of poor people especially in Southeast Asia but could easily be prevented if they had easy access to the vaccine at birth. Are you saying Hepatitis B vaccine doesn't prevent you from contracting the B virus? Because I'm pretty sure if you are vaccinated, you're protected from contracting Hepatitis B.

Polio. Another terrible disease. Same as Hepatitis B. If you're vaccinated against polio, you're pretty much protected from this awful disease.

When we first got Pfizer and Moderna covid vaccine, we were told it would prevent hospitalization and death. Awesome. They also said while it won't 100% prevent you from still contracting covid, breakthrough cases should be somewhat limited and rare as the covid vaccine provides good protection from you catching covid. Great. Give me the vaccine.

And I think for alpha and somewhat for delta, the above was true. But for omicron, I think the current world data makes it pretty clear the vaccine won't prevent you from contracting covid. But I'm going to give the vaccine the benefit of the doubt that it's still protecting the vaccinated person from hospitalization and death. Which is why I'm fully vaccinated with boosters along with my wife and my daughter.

However, omicron is proving to be so contagious that even masks don't seem to help much as I mentioned above about South Korea. So if that's the case, why wear mask if I'm fully vaccinated? Especially if omicron cases are on the decline in the US.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Hepatitis B vaccine. This is a terrible disease that affects millions of poor people especially in Southeast Asia but could easily be prevented if they had easy access to the vaccine at birth. Are you saying Hepatitis B vaccine doesn't prevent you from contracting the B virus? Because I'm pretty sure if you are vaccinated, you're protected from contracting Hepatitis B.

Polio. Another terrible disease. Same as Hepatitis B. If you're vaccinated against polio, you're pretty much protected from this awful disease.

When we first got Pfizer and Moderna covid vaccine, we were told it would prevent hospitalization and death. Awesome. They also said while it won't 100% prevent you from still contracting covid, breakthrough cases should be somewhat limited and rare as the covid vaccine provides good protection from you catching covid. Great. Give me the vaccine.

And I think for alpha and somewhat for delta, the above was true. But for omicron, I think the current world data makes it pretty clear the vaccine won't prevent you from contracting covid. But I'm going to give the vaccine the benefit of the doubt that it's still protecting the vaccinated person from hospitalization and death. Which is why I'm fully vaccinated with boosters along with my wife and my daughter.

However, omicron is proving to be so contagious that even masks don't seem to help much as I mentioned above about South Korea. So if that's the case, why wear mask if I'm fully vaccinated? Especially if omicron cases are on the decline in the US.

I understand the difference between being infected with something and becoming seriously ill from it is relatively subtle but dude give us a break.

I'm 100% with Zin on one point here.... what is the motivation to continually re-post nonsense?

It's one thing to "own" not giving a crap about Covid anymore which I may not fully agree with but CAN still respect HOWEVER this is seriously questionable behavior from a person I KNOW has a functioning brain.

;)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Just saying, that the naming schema for COVID variants seems weirdly analogous to that for video cards or phones or something. Now we have "Omicron XE", which seems to be the "special edition" of Omicron, combining the most popular features of Omicron BA1 and Omicron BA2. Maybe a stop-gap upgrade while the Pi variant is experiencing delays to its release?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Just saying, that the naming schema for COVID variants seems weirdly analogous to that for video cards or phones or something. Now we have "Omicron XE", which seems to be the "special edition" of Omicron, combining the most popular features of Omicron BA1 and Omicron BA2. Maybe a stop-gap upgrade while the Pi variant is experiencing delays to its release?

Explainer:

Reactions: pmv

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Day old news but still important. Masks no longer required on public transit, airports, and on planes after federal court ruling. Now US needs to eliminate the final hurdle of requiring negative covid test for reentry into the US. But I don't have much faith Biden will lift the reentry testing requirement anytime soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/18/flo...c-mask-mandate-for-public-transit-planes.html

People are still welcome to wear masks at airports and planes if it will help them feel better.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Day old news but still important. Masks no longer required on public transit, airports, and on planes after federal court ruling. Now US needs to eliminate the final hurdle of requiring negative covid test for reentry into the US. But I don't have much faith Biden will lift the reentry testing requirement anytime soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/18/flo...c-mask-mandate-for-public-transit-planes.html

People are still welcome to wear masks at airports and planes if it will help them feel better.

The requirement would have been eventually removed but I think it was pretty unfair to people on planes who traveled with the understanding that everyone would be masked. Not to mention the rather insane opinion the judge issued.

It really was a trivial inconvenience that certain people were really loud about because they are just selfish dicks.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It really was a trivial inconvenience that certain people were really loud about because they are just selfish dicks.

Simply shocking (rotfl) this ruling was made by a Florida-based Trump appointee Judge for "reasons" having little to do with science.

Pretty much par for the course. :rolleyes:

(this ruling was only "important" to selfish Covidiots)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The requirement would have been eventually removed but I think it was pretty unfair to people on planes who traveled with the understanding that everyone would be masked. Not to mention the rather insane opinion the judge issued.

Trivial inconvenience? Maybe on 1-2 hour flight. But on 10-13 hour flight? Mask suck and is a major hassle.

If mask work as great as people here say it works on omicron, people who elect to keep on their mask should be safe even if others choose not to. Maybe the mask wearers who insists everyone has to wear mask no matter what are the selfish dicks. Not the other way around.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Maybe the mask wearers who insists everyone has to wear mask no matter what are the selfish dicks. Not the other way around.

And maybe not.... how pathetic.

Again .... get medical advice from DOCTORS not Trumper-judges. (or self-appointed "experts" on ATOT)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trivial inconvenience? Maybe on 1-2 hour flight. But on 10-13 hour flight? Mask suck and is a major hassle.

Flew 9 hours with one on and survived just fine thanks. Mostly forgot I had it on.

If mask work as great as people here say it works on omicron, people who elect to keep on their mask should be safe even if others choose not to. Maybe the mask wearers who insists everyone has to wear mask no matter what are the selfish dicks. Not the other way around.

I cannot believe we have to rehash this for the umpteenth time but some people are truly unwilling to comprehend the fact that masks inhibit transmission.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I cannot believe we have to rehash this for the umpteenth time but some people are truly unwilling to comprehend the fact that masks inhibit transmission.

Some people are just selfish whiney babies who won't put themselves out the slightest bit to protect others. It's all about their comfort and convenience.

Crying about wearing a mask IS 100% pathetic and anyone doing it after over a million dead Americans is a real POS. Period.

This country is well and truly fvcked. :confused:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Flew 9 hours with one on and survived just fine thanks. Mostly forgot I had it on.

Flew 13 hours with one on and dealt with it. It was major pain in the ass, and I always knew I had it on.

If mask inhibit transmission of omicron, you should be good then. You can keep on your mask while others around you don't. Seems like win-win.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Flew 13 hours with one on and dealt with it. It was major pain in the ass, and I always knew I had it on.

If mask inhibit transmission of omicron, you should be good then. You can keep on your mask while others around you don't. Seems like win-win.

Poor baby. :rolleyes:

You know the response you'll get to posting this crap over and over so wth do you keep doing it for?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
As extensively established people infected will transmit less virus to people when said infected people are masked, resulting in fewer infections.

Don't make the mistake of believing he isn't fully aware of this fact.

(and far as I'm concerned that only makes it worse)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
As extensively established people infected will transmit less virus to people when said infected people are masked, resulting in fewer infections.
But are you sure it's true for omicron? Can you post the extensively established data for omicron and mask? And how do you eat or drink on 9 hours flight without taking off your mask?