NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 718 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Insofar as vitamin D does play a role with regards to immunity(white blood cells have receptors on them), yes, levels do matter and certainly can help in addition to vaccination. As just a hormone however, it's not going to work miracles if something else can mechanistically cause damage, such as having untreated periodontitis or continuing to eat a high sugar diet(it might mitigate or delay the damaging effects of perio). Or in the case of obesity, it might help in certain aspects but not other things caused by being obese.

As far as obese people go, they have so much fat storage available that vitamin D levels in the blood are lower as it winds up in the fat cells and they have to consume more to maintain levels. Thus, supplementing vitamin D may help in the immediate timeframe, but treatment of weight is the necessary long-term solution. What is misunderstood, is that obesity is often a combination of multiple factors, which include hormones, mental health, and ignorance of what actually needs to be done to make it much easier to lose weight.

The obesity crisis(and the coinciding diabetes crisis) is a crisis of both profit and government-induced delusion(which ties into profit). The food industry lives...and thrives on sales. So does the exercise industry, certain medical professions like dentistry, etc. Where hormones come into play is foods that primarily stimulate the release of insulin, aka the simple digestible carbohydrate. These foods happen to be the most pleasing to eat or substantially enhance the palatability of foods eaten along with it, which includes meat and/or fat, sometimes deceptively so. Bread and rice, seemingly plain foods, actually have their own power in making the other foods more desirable. Furthermore, they trigger a physical cycle when the blood insulin levels drop, and then that triggers a hunger response a mere 2-3 hours later. Insulin also inhibits fat metabolism and promotes glucose metabolism.

Sweets and grains can also make one habitually eat more sweets and grains at the expense of other more nutrient-dense foods.

Despite the above being established knowledge, what is called "the carbohydrate" occupies an sacred, hallowed space as the omnibenevolent sacred macro; a holy foundation of healthy eating. Sugar is called sugar, even though it is a carbohydrate. So in the minds of many, it's as if sugar and other carbohydrates are completely different foods; such a thing manifested in the first food pyramid by the US, where sweets could be eaten sparingly but grains(and back then it was simple refined grains) could be eaten with impunity with 6-11 servings a day. And given the recent momentum of research against sugar, there is a begrudging concession at to cut down on "added sugars".

As far as mandates goes, the barring of unvaccinated from entering restaurants may have a pleiotropic effect as they cannot consume restaurant food in person. However, if takeout food replaces in-person dining, or a starch-heavy diet is eaten at home, then the person is setting himself up to fail in health over time even if COVID never reaches him.

As far as association goes, the lab coats, corporate suits, and the silver-tongued government officials sure milked choosing the less risky road based on association by essentially saying "don't take your chances" with regards to saturated fat and ultimately committed manslaughter against an enormous amount people by leading them to trans fat ridden margarine. Unlike disasters wrought by economists, there is no public outcry because this damage is "silent" and the perps can claim ignorance. Furthermore, the ones still clinging to the old paradigm are doing their darndest to prevent research to the contrary by simply not letting the funding get to the contrarians.

Sorry only skimmed that post.... holy long-winded diatribe Batman! ;)

HOWEVER you are correct being fat is extremely unhealthy and processed food for big $ profit is killing Americans in particular by making us fat.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Sorry only skimmed that post.... holy long-winded diatribe Batman! ;)

HOWEVER you are correct being fat is extremely unhealthy and processed food for big $ profit is killing Americans in particular by making us fat.
The prevalence of obesity, diabetes, heart attacks(all risk factors) were many years in the making, with industries like Big Food, Big Pharma, the government, and even "the science of the times" all guiding people along that road.

The virus simply made what was a chronic and slow road to morbidity and ultimately a miserable death suddenly acute and immediate for many, and that wound up leading to no space for those who suffered actual heart attacks or stroke during quarantine. While traveling down the eventually torturous road, certain highway robbers will make a pretty buck, including dentists, opthalmagists, doctors, drug companies, "diet product" sellers, exercise equipment, etc off of that deteriorating body.

Reactions: Captante

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Why does this stuff bring you people joy? What is childish about simply wanting freedom? It's not a lot to ask.
Freedom is not without responsibility. You're describing anarchy moreso, or at the least a juvenile interpretation of "freedom" thus the rebuke you're getting.

Reminds me of the attached.
3e2a889b5a1e778d5dee4af2b201fa95.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's kind of interesting to observe Red Squirrel transformation from the start of this thread til now. In the beginning, he was one of the most frightened and fearful individual about covid and wanted the entire world shutdown and closed. Now he's on the other end with covid being no big deal and fighting for freedom and wanting things fully reopened.

Reactions: Zorba

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
We still don't know 100% the cause of increasing cancer rates but probably safe to say it has to do with all the harmful chemicals they put in our food, products, and the overall pollution that is being created these days. All in the name of profit. But I don't see any lockdowns or rules to stop big corporations from doing this stuff.

Do we even know for sure that cancer rates _are_ increasing?
And you are getting close to Taj territory there. Next you'll be claiming we don't try and restrict smoking.

But whether it's contagious or not does not really change anything, people are still getting other diseases too. It sucks, but it sucks even more trying to control other people's lives because of it.

No, whether it's contagious clearly changes things, because that's the whole justification for lockdowns and social-distancing, and so on. Those things are not at all relevant for cancer.

Freedom is a good thing for everyone.

That has to be one of the most misused words in contemporary political discourse. Where's my freedom to hit Ian Duncan Smith over the head with a traffic cone, eh? When someone did that the conservative media went nuts about it.

Reactions: feralkid

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Not surprising, but weight plays a big role in severity of infection.

That and having proper vitamin D levels.

This is the kind of stuff public health should be pushing instead of just trying to control every aspect of our lives. If you are healthy and vaccinated the odds of a breakthrough infection are near 0.

I have a double-vaccinated 70-year-old family member that just died from a breakthrough infection. He was old(er) but healthy.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante and Ajay

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Not just anyone can register a .gov site. That is probably a rather valid source and not just some random blog.
I've seen this EXACT line of argument from several people on these forums. I don't understand it.

Pubmed is a place that gathers all medical related ideas, information, studies, etc. into a central .gov website. That does not mean all ideas on the website is accurate. Lots of articles are completely fabricated, but they are still on Pubmed. It does not mean that the studies there are valid. That is the purpose of science: to critically think about all ideas, show the flaws in the unproven or outright incorrect ideas, and move on to a better understanding.

So again, why does it matter if it is on a .gov website?

Each paper needs to be read carefully and with a critical eye. Here is that paper's conclusion: "Although the results from randomized clinical trials aiming to prove the benefit of vitamin D supplementation for these purposes are pending, there is no downside to increasing vitamin D intake and having sensible sunlight exposure". In other words, they are arguing, even though there is no evidence YET that vitamin D helps, we might as well take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well a couple rapid and one PCR test says no COVID so it pretty much has to be the god damned cedar. Unusual my husband is so impacted this year though.

This is absolutely my last cedar season in Texas.

Stolen from Reddit:

418v0xpezl881.jpg

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Well a couple rapid and one PCR test says no COVID so it pretty much has to be the god damned cedar. Unusual my husband is so impacted this year though.

Glad to hear that. I haven't been exposed to cedar season, but the list of symptoms does overlap quite well with Omicron symptoms. About the only difference is cedar fever can have sinus pressure that Covid rarely has. Same with common cold: it almost perfectly overlaps the symptoms of Omicron (aside from the lack of taste and smell in ~20% of Omicron cases). PCR tests are the best we have to tell them all apart.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017

Stolen from Reddit:

View attachment 55213

Wtf just had to google cedar fever. I don't understand how people tolerate certain parts of the planet.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Glad to hear that. I haven't been exposed to cedar season, but the list of symptoms does overlap quite well with Omicron symptoms. About the only difference is cedar fever can have sinus pressure that Covid rarely has. Same with common cold: it almost perfectly overlaps the symptoms of Omicron (aside from the lack of taste and smell in ~20% of Omicron cases). PCR tests are the best we have to tell them all apart.

Yeah gone are the days when anosmia would be the main early tip off for most people.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Wtf just had to google cedar fever. I don't understand how people tolerate certain parts of the planet.

I had no allergies I was aware of until moving to Austin and encountering the demonic ashe juniper. It gave me a nasty sinus infection the first year too before I figured out what the problem was.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I had no allergies I was aware of until moving to Austin and encountering the demonic ashe juniper. It gave me a nasty sinus infection the first year too before I figured out what the problem was.

Sounds awful. Climate change better not bring that species up here.

"approximate 20% increase in spring (February–May) and annual pollen counts, with the largest increase in Texas and the Midwest. The allergen with the most significant increase was tree pollen."

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Things are not looking ideal.
Yep. Prior to this week, the record number of confirmed Covid cases in a single day in the US was 293,561. This was set on Jan 10, 2021 about 2 weeks after Christmas (holidays combined with a Covid surge are not a good combination). The smallest of the last 3 days was 377,014 confirmed cases in the US. Oh, and we just had a holiday.

Reactions: Ajay

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Yep. Prior to this week, the record number of confirmed Covid cases in a single day in the US was 293,561. This was set on Jan 10, 2021 about 2 weeks after Christmas (holidays combined with a Covid surge are not a good combination). The smallest of the last 3 days was 377,014 confirmed cases in the US. Oh, and we just had a holiday.
Yesterday was the single highest day with 488,000 new daily cases according to The NY Times database. Imagine if all the positive home tests were also included along with all the people who didn't test.

Nov 20, 2009
Well, my wife just told me that her sister in law just tested positive for COVID. Not sure yet which strain, but it looks like she never got her Moderna booster. That makes me think I need to go forward and triple-vax myself and hunt for the J&J since I am already vaxxed with the Pfizer and Moderna.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wanting to force a way of life on others is what is selfish. Wanting to allow people to do what they want is freedom.
Anyone remember how RedSquirrel thinks the US is a very dangerous place because of all the guns we have the freedom to own? :D