NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 560 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think the biggest scare for staff was that with over a third of patients coming through the door covid positive it was impossible to completely isolate vulnerable patients from it.
No one wants a vulnerable patient to be made ill by coming into hospital but we don't want ill people not coming into hospital if they need to be there. That was really stressful to manage.
It's one reason I haven't been in a hospital for over a year. My doctor wanted me to get a flu shot and provide them a blood draw for routine checkup purposes. I said no dice, no way, not until I'm vaccinated. In 4 days I'm officially totally vaccinated. I don't know if I'll bother with the flu shot, maybe. I'll give them that blood sample.

Reactions: WelshBloke

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I went out a bit today. Walked around the mall and Lowe's, worst mask wearing I've seen in a long time. I'm sure it's from our stupid governor declaring victory and the removal of our non-existent statewide restrictions.

I think there worst thing about this year is that I've realized people really are as stupid and as selfish as I had always thought. I used to think I was just too hard on people.

In good news, my worst employee quit this week because he doesn't like working from home.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It's one reason I haven't been in a hospital for over a year. My doctor wanted me to get a flu shot and provide them a blood draw for routine checkup purposes. I said no dice, no way, not until I'm vaccinated. In 4 days I'm officially totally vaccinated. I don't know if I'll bother with the flu shot, maybe. I'll give them that blood sample.

I've been putting off going and getting blood samples taken for months now, for the same reason. Maybe I'll go after I get the second shot.

Reactions: Muse

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Do people think the Olympics are actually going to go ahead this summer?

I find it hard to believe it's going to happen Things are still looking bad in Japan itself, and many countries have barely begun their vaccination programs.

Maybe it should be postponed another year till 2022? Or just cancelled entirely this round, skip straight to 2024?

Alternatively, maybe make it a virtual Olympics - a time for all those e-sports players to show their skillz? Either with motion controllers and VR allowing socially-distanced physical competition, or just go the whole hog and make Unreal Tournament and Half Life Counterstrike and Civ (or whatever the kids are playing these days) into official Olympic events?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

I find it hard to believe it's going to happen Things are still looking bad in Japan itself, and many countries have barely begun their vaccination programs.

Last I heard it is still on with no overseas fans. It's not until July.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante and Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've been putting off going and getting blood samples taken for months now, for the same reason. Maybe I'll go after I get the second shot.

I did not stop routine medical care during this. Though our doctor's office is extremely careful with all precautions. They limited staffing/patient capacity and everybody wore real N95s plus face shields.

I also went for a dental cleaning before the holiday surge when cases were low. Same deal everybody was as careful as possible. Wish I could have skipped that but if I don't get cleaned at least twice a year I have to get a scaling done which...ughhhh.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Another day another irrational AZ scare. Some EU countries have found clotting in vaccine recipients that...doesn't exceed the rate expected naturally. Of course a number of them have suspended vaccinations.

Maybe the US should just ship our AZ lots to Canada and Mexico instead of the EU who might just end up sitting on them because of this ongoing nonsense.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I went out a bit today. Walked around the mall and Lowe's, worst mask wearing I've seen in a long time. I'm sure it's from our stupid governor declaring victory and the removal of our non-existent statewide restrictions.

I think there worst thing about this year is that I've realized people really are as stupid and as selfish as I had always thought. I used to think I was just too hard on people.

In good news, my worst employee quit this week because he doesn't like working from home.
I'm fully vaccinated now (well, officially in 3 days, but realistically, yeah, fully) and I will continue to mask up in public, even outside, until we're practically at herd immunity. I really don't give a damn. My 3M N95's (bought for the wildfires in 2017 in N. CA) don't bother me at all. My glasses don't fog up, I can breathe in them fine, even doing aerobic exercise. If you can't see the bottom half of my face, so fucking what? If that bothers you, you have no imagination. In my mind, it's a public service announcement to do your part.

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's on my list. No hurries, I've been feeling great.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Maybe it should be postponed another year till 2022? Or just cancelled entirely this round, skip straight to 2024?

Alternatively, maybe make it a virtual Olympics - a time for all those e-sports players to show their skillz? Either with motion controllers and VR allowing socially-distanced physical competition, or just go the whole hog and make Unreal Tournament and Half Life Counterstrike and Civ (or whatever the kids are playing these days) into official Olympic events?
I heard on TV couple nights ago that the summer Olympics are a go, at least officially. Also, IIRC, that Japan is contracting with I believe India to provide vaccine to bolster the project. I think there's a lot of time for them to get their act together and obviously they have a huge financial incentive to do so. Add that to the legendary Japanese stick togetherness, and I think there's a good chance they can fill the stadiums and venues to capacity. They may have mask mandates in effect, depending. Maybe check temperature at entry gates. They could conceivably cut back on crowd size or eliminate in person attendance entirely. The TV rights must be a monumental financial deal, that can go on. Of course, having the participants vaccinated would be very important. Presumably the IOC can work with all the countries on that.

If they do cancel the 2021 summer Olympics, odds are really high there will be no reschedule.

Dec 10, 2005
Another day another irrational AZ scare. Some EU countries have found clotting in vaccine recipients that...doesn't exceed the rate expected naturally. Of course a number of them have suspended vaccinations.

Maybe the US should just ship our AZ lots to Canada and Mexico instead of the EU who might just end up sitting on them because of this ongoing nonsense.
People are stuck on stupid and think that there is some grand conspiracy where pharmaceutical companies took shortcuts so that they could ruin their reputations and kill all their customers.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
People are stuck on stupid and think that there is some grand conspiracy where pharmaceutical companies took shortcuts so that they could ruin their reputations and kill all their customers.
My impression personally is that pharma is making a lot of friends here. I have seen little to no evidence that they cut corners at all. The ~95% efficacy for the mRNA vaccines was just a giant OMG hell yeah from the medical community, near as I can tell. The actions of pharma in putting out the vaccines, increasingly as much as they can within the constraints of the difficulties of production are near as I can tell, just great. Covid antivaxxers are dumb asses, near as I can tell. I haven't spotted any with a leg to stand on. Some people are at risk getting vaccinated because of conditions, age, possibly pregnancy, they are doing studies, but that's not the general public over 16. They are doing studies on the kids taking the vaccine, and other sub groups.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Are science-folks this daft at grasping how to evaluate single data points?

No, this vaccine will not be unsafe for the majority of people. But for the small set people with a condition it can exacerbate, it abolsolute matters why.

Furthermore, medical records for these singular cases remain confidential, thus, lack of transparency can indeed lead to deception or faulty investigations. Prior history of incidents are confidential. Other medications they were taking, All that stuff is private unless the person choose to release said information; in the case of the dead, it dies with them.

Dec 10, 2005
Are science-folks this daft at grasping how to evaluate single data points?

No, this vaccine will not be unsafe for the majority of people. But for the small set people with a condition it can exacerbate, it abolsolute matters why.

Furthermore, medical records for these singular cases remain confidential, thus, lack of transparency can indeed lead to deception or faulty investigations. Prior history of incidents are confidential. Other medications they were taking, All that stuff is private unless the person choose to release said information; in the case of the dead, it dies with them.
You don't need to publicly release everyone's private medical records to the public to build trust. Plus, under HIPPA in the US, regulators can get access to private health information in certain circumstances, and I would bet incidences like investigating adverse events that mag or may not be related to a medication would be one of those exemptions. I'm sure something similar must be in place in other jurisdictions.

Science folks are not daft. Some of us just want people to stop jumping to unsupportable conclusions and hysteria.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You don't need to publicly release everyone's private medical records to the public to build trust. Plus, under HIPPA in the US, regulators can get access to private health information in certain circumstances, and I would bet incidences like investigating adverse events that mag or may not be related to a medication would be one of those exemptions. I'm sure something similar must be in place in other jurisdictions. A willingness to insure the unfortunate by being prepared with a contingency response in case something does go wrong.

Science folks are not daft. Some of us just want people to stop jumping to unsupportable conclusions and hysteria.
Quite the arrogant strawman there, showing a lack of nuance and that you follow authority more than science itself. You might prefer a satisfycing response. I demand near-perfection from an industry whose job is to save as many possible and has plenty of money to throw around for failsafes.

One can support having people the vaccine yet be concerned these singularities because the most vulernable or have a surprise predisposition are precisely the ones most likely to have a complication.

You do know what the fact check is? The layman cannot do the fact check precisely because of privacy.
It is not hysteria to expect the experts and pros to be prepared to deal with unexpected reactions.

The reason science works is because it prevents people from wandering away with concocted BS. They that works is by checking others via peer review. Take away the enforced transpency and that's when humans default to more normal behaviors. In this, the need to make the heavy sales.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i don't know if i'll be able to eat at restaurants again. the thought of going inside of one kind of freaks me out.

i have to get myself ready just to go through the drive thru, and only go to places that allow pre-payment via mobile app.

gonna have to buy a kaido-approved combioven and make everything myself!

then again, i really need to cut back on eating anyway. i'm up about 10 lbs since last summer.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
i don't know if i'll be able to eat at restaurants again. the thought of going inside of one kind of freaks me out

Yeah they were just discussing resuming 100% indoor dining on the local news and something very close to the above was the first thing to pop into my head as well.

I do love eating a really good meal out but it's going to be weird. :(

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I can see people being a bit concerned, as at the end of the day, companies care more about the shareholders, and at the start it was basically a battle to be first. Now I think it matters a bit less because it's not like only one company has a vaccine in use, they have multiple so they at least all get a piece of the pie. But if one company had decided to patent it or something then it would be problematic as it shuts out all the other companies. It seems everyone is playing ball in this respect though.

I'd like to think that these companies DO care about their reputation enough that they really made sure it's 99.999% safe before releasing it and pretty sure they did. All eyes are on them to make sure the vaccine is safe, and actually works so screwing it up and it being linked to negligence would probably be practically the end if the company.

Overall I'm not really that worried myself. Originally I wanted to wait as long as I can juuuuust in case they later on discover that there's some kind of long term effect that takes long to surface, but at this point I feel that risk is near zero. Once it becomes available for my age group, I'll be going for it. I have an aunt with terminal cancer that I'd like to visit, and also have a friend who has a dad with medical issues, that I'd like to hang out with, but I only want to do it once I'm vaccinated. I'll also feel better about visiting my parents. My dad is somewhat high risk as well.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I've been largely living normally, except with extra precautions such as face masks, extra hand-washing and hand sanitizer use.

Maybe less often than normal, and larger trips spaced apart, but that may be due to other semi-related reasons.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
it's weird because i used to DESPISE eating in the car

and now it's the only thing i can possibly imagine doing

What I've gotten a bit addicted to is food delivery. :)

Even now post-2020 there are still enough really good restaurants in the New Haven area to have a different meal every night for a month without breaking a sweat.

With contact-free delivery and a cc I don't even have to SEE another human being, nevermind actually INTERACT with one!

:eek:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
With contact-free delivery and a cc I don't even have to SEE another human being, nevermind actually INTERACT with one!

i do that exclusively for groceries now

order them ahead of time and have them stick them in the trunk

occasionally they screw stuff up or don't have what i want though

so i would like to be able to go back in the grocery store someday

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yeah they were just discussing resuming 100% indoor dining on the local news and something very close to the above was the first thing to pop into my head as well.

I do love eating a really good meal out but it's going to be weird. :(
I've actually realized that I don't miss dining out much at all. Really the only dining experience I really miss is a good Chinese Buffet. Other than that, I cook healther/better at home, it's quicker, and don't have to deal with orders being wrong or poor service, etc. I'm worried I'll fall back into the habit, but hoping not.

Reactions: Muse