NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 478 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'm kind of on the fence about having my parents visit for the "holidays". It would be for 5-6 weeks up through the new year, with them in the guest bedroom after an isolated 10 hour long drive. We're very much in need of help with our 18 month old toddler, who is becoming very active and needs non-stop supervision. We've kept him out of daycare, but we let him interact with other children at the playground (which would stop with my parents here - they'd become his playmates). Otherwise we do nothing else of risk, so I'm not really sure what the risk level is for us. But all I know is if we don't get some kind of help soon, either I'm leaving work for a few months and may be one-and-done as far as having anymore children goes. It hasn't been a bad experience, but it I'm just both so physically and mentally depleted at this point.

I can't really fault the parents of kids for breaking by this point. People without kids truly have absolutely no idea how much work it is. And I feel like we still have it somewhat easy compared to say, ensuring your 6 or 7 year old is remote learning.
I don't know of many people who say a 7 year old is more challenging than a toddler that requires constant supervision. :p
Why on the fence about your parents helping out for a while? Just take a bunker mentality while they're around; go out only for the absolute essentials.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Where do they stick 17 million minks? Denmark isn't that big. Anyway, I guess I should be looking for good deals on mink seat covers in the near future.
Denmark is the world's largest producer of mink, I read the other day. They are now looking to shut it down completely.

This is worrisome. If the vaccines in testing won't control this new strain, we could be in for major trouble not anticipated. I haven't seen much on this, figured this thread is where I might find some canny takes on this.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm sorry to hear about that. I think you're right on the 'I know these people so it's safe' mentality. I also think there is a largish group of people who were holding off on doing things, think there is some risk to COVID but it's not that bad, are now getting tired of not being able to do things so they are now doing those things. If the worst thing in your life is you go your senior year without any dances, don't have a large birthday party or have to wait a year or two to get married I'd say you're doing pretty well compared to most of the world's population but that doesn't appear to resonate with many for a variety of reasons
I don't trust anybody to not be shedding covid. Don't care who you are. I'm not even opening my mail for a good week... who knows, the mail man might be shedding. Same with deliveries. I have my own protocols based on careful thinking and the studies I've learned from.

Realizing the importance of viral load/dose was very helpful.

I'm certainly not getting lax due to "fatigue." I missed a family function a couple weeks ago. I will miss Thanksgiving too. I will not be less careful until after being vaccinated.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Way I see it, if it's safe to go in a restaurant with family then being at their home is not any different, whether you sit at the dining room table at someone's house or at a table at the restaurant the risk is the same. Heck I'd say restaurant is a bit higher because there are more people in general. Just because one is officially allowed or not does not make one safer than the other. In general, use common sense. I would not start making all sorts of plans right now like big family reunions or anything either. But going to see parents or siblings etc is not really a huge deal. We're at a point where we need to just accept that there is always a small risk, can't stay locked down forever.

Of course if you're in a hot spot area then that's different, best to just stay home as much as possible until cases come down. Once you know there is a lot of local transmission is where the risk is much higher.
You have to realize that recommended practices are designed with the intention of controlling the pandemic, not protecting individual people. If you are more at risk than your average person you should be MORE careful than official guidelines proscribe. Your surgical mask and 6 foot SD are no guarantee you won't get the disease. A high percentage of the population adhering to those practices will tend to gain control.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
  • Wow
Reactions: Muse

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Sounds like a winning plan to defeat covid
Pairs nicely with their strong stance on protective measures:

In a reflection of the stress on hospitals, Burgum moved every county in the state to the orange-coded "high risk" level on the state's official COVID-19 gauge. All of the state's most populous counties were already at the risk level, which comes with recommendations for restaurants, bars and event venues to limit capacity to 25%.

Burgum has faced increasingly louder calls from doctors and political opponents to issue a statewide mask mandate, but the first-term Republican has so far rejected the measure in favor of relying on the "personal responsibility" of residents.

If only there was some indication that the current measures weren't working and some science behind additional options that would work to control the situation....

Reactions: KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Pairs nicely with their strong stance on protective measures:

If only there was some indication that the current measures weren't working and some science behind additional options that would work to control the situation....
it's mind boggling stupid

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Went to Walmart this morning and, here in Tallahassee, everyone I saw - no exceptions - was wearing a mask. Maybe there is some hope that we can tamp this down until the vaccines become available.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Went to Walmart this morning and, here in Tallahassee, everyone I saw - no exceptions - was wearing a mask. Maybe there is some hope that we can tamp this down until the vaccines become available.
A poster here around 2-3 weeks ago said in his area in N. Dakota if you went into Home Depot with a mask on "you would be accosted."

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Last test was negative.

I thought there were very few people wearing masks at the West Georgia Flea Market on Saturday, but then I drove a couple hours away to "Mountain Top Flea Market" in Alabama and couldn't believe it was so much worse. You could look at a sea of people and have trouble spotting a single one with a mask. Occasionally you'd see someone wearing a neck gaiter or something but they'd have it pulled down around their neck even when interacting with others. I had probably walked a mile and a half there before finally seeing a woman with a mask but her two children were mask-less... and then her husband or boyfriend or whoever showed up and embraced her without a mask. Their household obviously isn't doing much to slow it even if one person had a mask.

Strangely, when vendors see you wearing a mask at the Georgia flea market you will get harrassed to buy masks. They see you as one of the few potential customers. Only one vendor there seems to be vocally anti-mask and she does not fit the stereotype (minority; not a white Georgian redneck).
My opinion of Americans (maybe should say America) is not good. We've made a mess of it. I'm not at all sure we're gonna get on track to a better future.

Reactions: CZroe

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
My opinion of Americans (maybe should say America) is not good. We've made a mess of it. I'm not at all sure we're gonna get on track to a better future.

That's my fear as well. In the absence of a widely available vaccine, no matter what measures Biden tries to implement, there seems to be a substantial base of morons that will ignore it; not just citizens, but also lower levels of government, police, etc.

Idiocracy nailed it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Doesn't Walmart screen people coming in to make sure everyone is wearing mask? They do here.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Officially, Wal-Mart's policy is that masks are required. After several of their greeters were accosted in more ignorant locales they stopped enforcing it so now it's part of the Pirate's Code: more guidelines than actual rules.

0b370050d7a6192b143930bc58ec73c7.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I noticed the more rural and poorer the area, the less people wear the masks. Around where I live and shop, mask usage is pretty much 100%. I haven't seen anyone without masks in stores. But when my wife and I went up to the GA mountains to enjoy fall color leaves and visited country store, almost nobody had on masks. We along with elderly couple were pretty much the only people in the store with masks. It was kind of crazy. So I can see why the virus is spreading rapidly in rural parts of the country.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
One of my employees who works from home 99% of the time decided to come into work on Friday after some of their family were experiencing symptoms. Lo and behold, on Saturday they were sick and now have officially tested positive. So now my entire department is fucked.

IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU ARE IN CONTACT WITH ARE EXPERIENCING SYMPTOMS STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM EVERYONE ONE ELSE

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
One of my employees who works from home 99% of the time decided to come into work on Friday after some of their family were experiencing symptoms. Lo and behold, on Saturday they were sick and now have officially tested positive. So now my entire department is fucked.

IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU ARE IN CONTACT WITH ARE EXPERIENCING SYMPTOMS STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM EVERYONE ONE ELSE
A lot of that stuff is going on here in my town in WV. The virus is spreading indoors like wildfire. Some of my family was exposed last week. My sister was exposed at work on Wed. (she quit that day). Her work found out their cook and two people at the bar had it. They didn't bother letting my sister know until Sunday. Another manager now has it and my niece visited her on Sat. The restaurant plans on opening back up Wed. Don't these assholes know that you should quarantine if you're around somebody that has it? Things are getting pretty bad in WV.