NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 191 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
This whole thing shows how vulnerable our whole system and way of doing things is. The fact that we rely so much on China and other countries to make goods instead of making them here, and the fact that there is no spare inventory of anything... like masks and ventilators. Nobody wants to spend the money, it's all about doing stuff the cheapest possible so the execs can get more profit.

Will there be lessons learned from this and will things change? Sadly, probably not.
Of course, you have to force businesses to make products here. All businesses care about is the bottom line and they will do anything (including calling out competitors) as to why they have to make products in certain countries. That's exactly what Apple did when Trump asked Cook to make products here. Since we're a democracy, we can't tell businesses what to do, but we can increase the tariffs to such a punishing level that they'll think twice before making relevant products in China again. Considering how backwards China is, it's only a matter of time before another virus emerges from there. The next time, the blame will be on us, not them.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Anyone who talks in terms of 'culling the herd' is a fascist. You've made it clear what you are.
News for you, genius, it's exactly what's happening wrt this virus. I didn't say it in a social or political sense, but from a natural one. My opinion was to save those most vulnerable, you know, prevent them from dying. But you're more concerned about rights and equal treatment rather than their own survival. I'm not sure what we're even arguing over here. I'm stating common sense and you're getting all emo.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
News for you, genius, it's exactly what's happening wrt this virus. I didn't say it in a social or political sense, but from a natural one. My opinion was to save those most vulnerable, you know, prevent them from dying. But you're more concerned about rights and equal treatment rather than their own survival. I'm not sure what we're even arguing over here. I'm stating common sense and you're getting all emo.

That you think what you said was 'in a natural sense' is further evidence that you have a fascist sensibility.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

You're also the guy whose reasoining is so muddled by machismo that you interpreted a common cold as this virus. So I'm not sure you are the cold rational thinker you think you are.

You save those most vulnerable by reducing your own social contacts and taking care not to contract or spread the virus - not by locking them up and carrying on as before.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Here's the thing, there have been virus's that are far more fatal for younger people, even one's in top condition, would you feel so unattached if it was you who was in the cross-hairs?.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
You're also the guy whose reasoining is so muddled by machismo that you interpreted a common cold as this virus. So I'm not sure you are the cold rational thinker you think you are.

You save those most vulnerable by reducing your own social contacts and taking care not to contract or spread the virus - not by locking them up and carrying on as before.
You can't get the cold more than once in a season, at least I can't. I've never gotten it more than once. So when I started getting some (but not all) suspected symptoms, I assumed it was this Chinese virus. Again, I rarely get sick so it was odd enough to get a cold in December, doubly odd to get related symptoms three months later. Whatever the case may be, I'm done with being paranoid about the virus. If I got it, then it was nothing. If I didn't, I refuse to be paranoid about it considering all we now know. If 80 percent of those can can skate without harm, why can't I? I don't smoke. I don't drink. I exercise religiously and my eating habits are highly disciplined. FFS, my favorite drink since childhood is V8. My only "medical" issue has to deal with stress. If I can't survive this Chinese virus no one can. I'm good.

Also, I'm a germaphobe so I've never liked being in the company of others before this pandemic unless it was certain women, and I've always used a condom. Maybe people who are old, fat, heavy drug users (including smokers and alcoholics) need to do themselves a favor by self-isolating. The rest of us shouldn't have to be inconvenienced because the virus has their number.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
90394896_10219815088642019_5618816945525620736_n.jpg

May the odds of finding TP be forever in your favor
I'm more concerned for when the TP companies totally halt production and people start hoarding leaves and corncobs. You don't wanna be the sucker that gets stuck with only poison ivy to wipe with. Start gathering leaves now!!!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm more concerned for when the TP companies totally halt production and people start hoarding leaves and corncobs. You don't wanna be the sucker that gets stuck with only poison ivy to wipe with. Start gathering leaves now!!!

That might be a little hard for me. :eek:

I have lot of 2x4's, some bug screens, and a very limited knowledge of how pulp and paper is made, and most importantly, Google. It might have to come to that if supplies don't get better in the next month or so.

If I run out of 2x4's it will be time for a trip to the bush with the chainsaw lol.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
You can't get the cold more than once in a season, at least I can't. I've never gotten it more than once. So when I started getting some (but not all) suspected symptoms, I assumed it was this Chinese virus. Again, I rarely get sick so it was odd enough to get a cold in December, doubly odd to get related symptoms three months later. Whatever the case may be, I'm done with being paranoid about the virus. If I got it, then it was nothing. If I didn't, I refuse to be paranoid about it considering all we now know. If 80 percent of those can can skate without harm, why can't I? I don't smoke. I don't drink. I exercise religiously and my eating habits are highly disciplined. FFS, my favorite drink since childhood is V8. My only "medical" issue has to deal with stress. If I can't survive this Chinese virus no one can. I'm good.

Also, I'm a germaphobe so I've never liked being in the company of others before this pandemic unless it was certain women, and I've always used a condom. Maybe people who are old, fat, heavy drug users (including smokers and alcoholics) need to do themselves a favor by self-isolating. The rest of us shouldn't have to be inconvenienced because the virus has their number.
i hope you die

Wishing death on a member. That's a no no.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

You're more dangerous to society right now than anyone else, in case you can't figure it out on your own. The healthy ones who have a strong immune system can be carriers but show little to no symptoms, and they believe they can still go out and do things, which puts others at risk.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
That might be a little hard for me. :eek:

I have lot of 2x4's, some bug screens, and a very limited knowledge of how pulp and paper is made, and most importantly, Google. It might have to come to that if supplies don't get better in the next month or so.

If I run out of 2x4's it will be time for a trip to the bush with the chainsaw lol.
Hmmm, I have planer. Wonder what pressure treated shavings would do to my bum?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
In our (capitalist) society, greed and profits matter more than lives so we are unprepared to handle this.

I thought this was a non-political thread?

Also, in case you hadn't noticed, "greed and profits" are taking a back seat to isolation-based control strategies in the West. Lots of business isn't getting done, and people are going to be in serious trouble when their cash supplies run dry. Think about that the next time you take a swing at "greed and profits".

They don't tell people to stay home with * because those are treatable and profitable.

What are you talking about? It's not like we have some highly-contagious pandemic waiting to happen, being held off by an ultra-expensive capitalist superdrug that keeps Big Pharma in the money.

I think the better question is, what needs to be changed so this doesn't happen again. I think a lot of us know, but unfortunately those in power won't agree because of greed and reduced profits.

If you really want there not to be a global pandemic, you would have to stop all global trade and travel. You would not like the results regardless of greed or profits.

This whole thing shows how vulnerable our whole system and way of doing things is. The fact that we rely so much on China and other countries to make goods instead of making them here, and the fact that there is no spare inventory of anything... like masks and ventilators. Nobody wants to spend the money, it's all about doing stuff the cheapest possible so the execs can get more profit.

Part of the problem is that our outsourcing has been heavily-concentrated to one country that happens to be:

a). hostile to our interests
b). totalitarian communist and
c). the origin of our current pandemic

If we could figure out how to distribute outsourcing to other countries or find ways to keep production here, either solution could be acceptable. Remember, had Covid-19 originated in the United States (it didn't), we might have inventory problems for those things we still make States-side. Concentrating too much manufacturing in one geographical region is a risk.

Since we're a democracy, we can't tell businesses what to do

That's not true at all. "Democracies" (or representative republics, which is what we actually are) can pass laws to do just about anything that people agree for them to do. In the United States, we have various Constitutional provisions that prevent the Feds from taking too much control of commerce and production, though you may have also noticed that "businesses" (read: corporations) can't even exist in this country without corporate structures that were created for them by state and/or Federal law. The only Constitutionally-protected forms of business is the sole proprietorship (and maybe some archaic forms of partnerships that nobody uses anymore in favor of S-class corps). C-class corporations, S-class corporations, LLCs, and other contrivances are created by the government. Many corporate bylaws are also forced to follow basic frameworks laid out by state/Federal governments (see: fiduciary responsibility).

If it is the will of the People through their elected representatives, corporate law can be rewritten to achieve many goals without giving direct control of business assets to the government.

i hope you die

He will. So will the rest of us.

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Last year was the worst year for flu deaths in the US at 80,000 which means there were on average 219 deaths per day each of 365 days. In Italy, yesterday's deaths indicate the issue is currently about 22X more threatening than last year's flu season in the US if we repeat Italy's recent history. Even so, that's still only translates to about 0.5% of the population in the US dying off from this disease. Of particular interest is that this disease favors people with underlying health conditions.

Elon Musk's assessment of C19

It begs the question: at what percentage of death of the population do we turn from "business as usual" just keep working to "stay at home and control this pandemic, even if that means tanking the economy?" If we add up other diseases (heart, cancer, etc...) it doesn't take long before these things exceed the death toll of C19, yet nobody seems to care that much. We don't all stay home to lower cancer heart disease and diabetes. Even at their worst case, the numbers just don't seem to pass the common sense test. The Chinese went crazy trying to contain this. What is it that we don't know?

Guys... Just so we are all on the same page. I don't believe that Elon Musk is smarter than any of us, but I do believe it's healthy to ask the basic questions. I believe this is far worse than the flu and that we're looking at exponential growth that's a function of time. That said, it appears the worst case scenario (when the dust clears ~2 years from now) is ~2% of the entire US population dies. Thats about 6.6 million people. That's horrendous and eclipses the flu by~36X (normalized to 1 year). That said, the majority (not all) are deaths from already sick people who are elderly, etc... Many other diseases kill about as many folks over the same amount of time (and don't primarily pick on those with underlying medical weaknesses). Do I believe there needs to be a stiff response to C19? Absolutely. It all just begs the question at what % (and demographic) do we do things like "close down the economy"... Our response as human beings seems inconsistent.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That said, it appears the worst case scenario (when the dust clears ~2 years from now) is ~2% of the entire US population dies.

It could be a lot worse, depending on what happens. There are places experiencing higher-than-2% death rates, and it's still up in the air as to exactly why. It appears as though access to medical care for "serious" cases lowers death rate considerably. In the event that there is no medical care available whatsoever for anyone with Covid-19 (which would be the worst case), death rates could be as high as 18%. Or 18% of the population winds up either dead or disabled due to reduced lung function, which is still really bad.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
It could be a lot worse, depending on what happens. There are places experiencing higher-than-2% death rates, and it's still up in the air as to exactly why. It appears as though access to medical care for "serious" cases lowers death rate considerably. In the event that there is no medical care available whatsoever for anyone with Covid-19 (which would be the worst case), death rates could be as high as 18%. Or 18% of the population winds up either dead or disabled due to reduced lung function, which is still really bad.

I'm surprised people still haven't learned this. Not to mention every other medical emergency out there. You don't want your appendix to burst during the peak. And forget about getting quick care if you have a stroke

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
New York is getting slammed, 114 deaths in that state alone:

Seventy percent of the 114 people who passed away were 70 years old or older, and the majority had underlying health conditions, Cuomo noted; approximately 80 percent of the people under 70 years old who died also had underlying health conditions.