NOAA: Past Decade Warmest on Record According to Scientists in 48 Countries

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
A good thing? Ya mean like that "warm" spell back in Africa that almost wiped out our human ancestors? Or the midieval warming that decimated the South-West Indians?

Yes, yes, wonderful wonderful warming that brought us civilization as we know it today. You didn't even have to follow the link I posted to the statement Dr. David Deming, a geophysicist specializing in temperature and heat flow, made before congress because I quoted the relevant part.

I know, I know, you Goricals know much more about climate change than any geophysicist possibly could what with their wasting time researching and experimenting, but for those of us who follow science rather than superstition it's a good thing. Science, that is, a good thing. And warming, due to the prosperity it brings, a good thing.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
And of course - being into denial - you jump to the conclusion - based on exactly zero information - that scientists' determination that human activity is responsible for much of the observed temperature increase is based solely on the "correlation = causation" fallacy.

It's so simple - isn't it - to dismiss science when all you need to do is put your own vapid words into the mouths of scientists?

It is simple. Those same scientist you think so highly of are the same ones that use Venus as an example of what can happen to the earth because of CO2 even though CO2 isn't why Venus is hot and the greenhouse effect has very very little to do with it.

Poptech

Aug 31, 2007
www.populartechnology.net
What do the scientists say?

John R. Christy, B.A. Mathematics, M.S. Atmospheric Science, Ph.D. Atmospheric Science, Professor of Atmospheric Science, University of Alabama in Huntsville (1991-Present), Director of the Earth System Science Center, University of Alabama in Huntsville, NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal (1991), American Meteorological Society’s Special Award (1996), Alabama State Climatologist (2000-Present), Fellow of the American Meteorological Society (2002-Present), IPCC Contributor (1992, 1994, 1996, 2007), IPCC Lead Author (2001)

"I'm sure the majority (but not all) of my IPCC colleagues cringe when I say this, but I see neither the developing catastrophe nor the smoking gun proving that human activity is to blame for most of the warming we see." - John R. Christy

Patrick J. Michaels, A.B. Biological Sciences, S.M. Biology, Ph.D. Ecological Climatology, Virginia State Climatologist (1980-2007), Associate Professor of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia (1986-1995), President, American Association of State Climatologists (1987-1988), Research Professor of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia (1996-Present), IPCC Contributing Author and Reviewer

"A number of studies point to sources other than greenhouse gases as explanations for the modest warming trend of the late 20th century." - Patrick J. Michaels

Richard S. Lindzen, A.B. Physics (Harvard), S.M. Applied Mathematics (Harvard), Ph.D. Applied Mathematics (Harvard), Research Scientist, National Center for Atmospheric Research (1966-1967), Associate Professor and Professor of Meteorology, University of Chicago (1968-1972), Professor of Dynamic Meteorology, Harvard University (1972-1983), Director, Center for Earth and Planetary Physics, Harvard University (1980-1983), Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (1983-Present), Fellow of the American Meteorological Society, Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, IPCC Lead Author (2001)

"Given that the evidence strongly implies that anthropogenic warming has been greatly exaggerated, the basis for alarm due to such warming is similarly diminished." - Richard S. Lindzen

Roy W. Spencer, B.S. Atmospheric Sciences, M.S. Meteorology, Ph.D. Meteorology, Research Scientist, University of Wisconsin (1982-1984), Senior Scientist for Climate Studies, NASA (1984-2001), NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal (1991), American Meteorological Society’s Special Award (1996), Principal Research Scientist, University of Alabama in Huntsville (2001-Present)

"As a climate researcher, I am increasingly convinced that most of our recent global warming has been natural, not manmade." - Roy W. Spencer

S. Fred Singer, A.M. Physics (Princeton), Ph.D. Physics (Princeton), First Director, National Weather Satellite Center (1962-1964), First Dean of the School of Environmental and Planetary Sciences, University of Miami (1964-1967), Deputy Assistant Secretary (Water Quality and Research), U.S. Department of the Interior (1967-1970), Deputy Assistant Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (1970-1971), Professor of Environmental Science, University of Virginia (1971-1994), Research Professor, Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason University (1994-2000)

"We see no evidence in the climate record that the increase in CO2, which is real, has any appreciable effect on the global temperature." - S. Fred Singer

Sherwood B. Idso, B.S. Physics, M.S. Soil Science, Ph.D. Soil Science, Research Scientist, U.S.D.A. Agricultural Research Service (1967-2001), Editorial Board, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology Journal (1973-1993), Arthur S. Flemming Award (1977), Adjunct Professor of Geography and Plant Biology, Arizona State University (1984-2003), Editorial Board, Environmental and Experimental Botany Journal (1993-Present), President, Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change (2001-Present)

"I find no compelling reason to believe that the earth will necessarily experience any global warming as a consequence of the ongoing rise in the atmosphere's carbon dioxide concentration." - Sherwood B. Idso

References:
Climate skeptic: We are winning the science battle (S. Fred Singer, Reuters)
Endangered Findings (Patrick J. Michaels, National Review)
More Carbon Dioxide, Please (Roy W. Spencer, National Review)
Real-World Constraints on Global Warming (Sherwood B. Idso, The Fraser Institute)
My Nobel Moment (PDF) (John Christy, The Wall Street Journal)
Resisting climate hysteria (Richard S. Lindzen, Quandrant)

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Another reason why climate alarmists papers seem to outnumber the papers of the skeptics.

"They got names, job titles and specializations wrong--they obviously did zero quality control checking.

As for the publications they were counting, they got them incredibly wrong. They hugely inflated the publication counts for their 'side' and reduced the publication counts for the opposition. In short, they lied about the data."

http://www.examiner.com/x-9111-Environmental-Policy-Examiner~y2010m8d4-Science-held-hostage

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
The fact that nearly all 'solutions' to 'climate change' involve somehow taxing people tells me its purely a political thing. It may be real, but the motives in pushing it are purely wealth redistribution.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The fact that nearly all 'solutions' to 'climate change' involve somehow taxing people tells me its purely a political thing. It may be real, but the motives in pushing it are purely wealth redistribution.

If you look at the very first group of scientist who released data and came up with the theory of global warming most of them were near broke and often had problems getting grants. They spend 8 years getting a degree in something like climate or weather and I guess it would be frustrating to find the only way you can do the work you want is to hope someone is willing to sponsor your research. Make that research something life threatening and research funding is no longer an issue. I don't think that was the intention from the start but I do think that is where it has ended up.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you look at the very first group of scientist who released data and came up with the theory of global warming most of them were near broke and often had problems getting grants. They spend 8 years getting a degree in something like climate or weather and I guess it would be frustrating to find the only way you can do the work you want is to hope someone is willing to sponsor your research. Make that research something life threatening and research funding is no longer an issue. I don't think that was the intention from the start but I do think that is where it has ended up.

Even back in the 1800's when the Idea was first suggested?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Mainly in the late 1980's when people learned you could get paid to do things if you used the media to your advantage.

So since the late 80's 10s of thousands of Climatologists around the World started a Conspiracy to pay their Mortgages?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
So since the late 80's 10s of thousands of Climatologists around the World started a Conspiracy to pay their Mortgages?

Not all of them, some actually do believe what they say, but the ones in it for the money far outweigh the ones in it because they believe what they are doing is good for the planet.

Remove global warming and the green , save the planet ideas and what would the demand for climatologists , energy conservation experts, pollution control engineers , and other related jobs be ? In a way they created their own need to exist. Almost like a doctor poisoning the patient so he can get paid.

Conspiracy would not apply, but collusion certainly would.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
It is simple. Those same scientist you think so highly of are the same ones that use Venus as an example of what can happen to the earth because of CO2 even though CO2 isn't why Venus is hot and the greenhouse effect has very very little to do with it.
Jim Hansen is a joke. How he ever made it to head up GISS is beyond me.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

Please Sandorski, can you name me 200 of those "10's of thousands of Climatologists" ? You can't because there's not that many accredited. Please don't exaggerate credentials.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
What do the scientists say?

John R. Christy, B.A. Mathematics, M.S. Atmospheric Science, Ph.D. Atmospheric Science, Professor of Atmospheric Science, University of Alabama in Huntsville (1991-Present), Director of the Earth System Science Center, University of Alabama in Huntsville, NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal (1991), American Meteorological Society’s Special Award (1996), Alabama State Climatologist (2000-Present), Fellow of the American Meteorological Society (2002-Present), IPCC Contributor (1992, 1994, 1996, 2007), IPCC Lead Author (2001)

"I'm sure the majority (but not all) of my IPCC colleagues cringe when I say this, but I see neither the developing catastrophe nor the smoking gun proving that human activity is to blame for most of the warming we see." - John R. Christy

Patrick J. Michaels, A.B. Biological Sciences, S.M. Biology, Ph.D. Ecological Climatology, Virginia State Climatologist (1980-2007), Associate Professor of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia (1986-1995), President, American Association of State Climatologists (1987-1988), Research Professor of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia (1996-Present), IPCC Contributing Author and Reviewer

"A number of studies point to sources other than greenhouse gases as explanations for the modest warming trend of the late 20th century." - Patrick J. Michaels

Richard S. Lindzen, A.B. Physics (Harvard), S.M. Applied Mathematics (Harvard), Ph.D. Applied Mathematics (Harvard), Research Scientist, National Center for Atmospheric Research (1966-1967), Associate Professor and Professor of Meteorology, University of Chicago (1968-1972), Professor of Dynamic Meteorology, Harvard University (1972-1983), Director, Center for Earth and Planetary Physics, Harvard University (1980-1983), Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (1983-Present), Fellow of the American Meteorological Society, Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, IPCC Lead Author (2001)

"Given that the evidence strongly implies that anthropogenic warming has been greatly exaggerated, the basis for alarm due to such warming is similarly diminished." - Richard S. Lindzen

Roy W. Spencer, B.S. Atmospheric Sciences, M.S. Meteorology, Ph.D. Meteorology, Research Scientist, University of Wisconsin (1982-1984), Senior Scientist for Climate Studies, NASA (1984-2001), NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal (1991), American Meteorological Society’s Special Award (1996), Principal Research Scientist, University of Alabama in Huntsville (2001-Present)

"As a climate researcher, I am increasingly convinced that most of our recent global warming has been natural, not manmade." - Roy W. Spencer

S. Fred Singer, A.M. Physics (Princeton), Ph.D. Physics (Princeton), First Director, National Weather Satellite Center (1962-1964), First Dean of the School of Environmental and Planetary Sciences, University of Miami (1964-1967), Deputy Assistant Secretary (Water Quality and Research), U.S. Department of the Interior (1967-1970), Deputy Assistant Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (1970-1971), Professor of Environmental Science, University of Virginia (1971-1994), Research Professor, Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason University (1994-2000)

"We see no evidence in the climate record that the increase in CO2, which is real, has any appreciable effect on the global temperature." - S. Fred Singer

Sherwood B. Idso, B.S. Physics, M.S. Soil Science, Ph.D. Soil Science, Research Scientist, U.S.D.A. Agricultural Research Service (1967-2001), Editorial Board, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology Journal (1973-1993), Arthur S. Flemming Award (1977), Adjunct Professor of Geography and Plant Biology, Arizona State University (1984-2003), Editorial Board, Environmental and Experimental Botany Journal (1993-Present), President, Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change (2001-Present)

"I find no compelling reason to believe that the earth will necessarily experience any global warming as a consequence of the ongoing rise in the atmosphere's carbon dioxide concentration." - Sherwood B. Idso

References:
Climate skeptic: We are winning the science battle (S. Fred Singer, Reuters)
Endangered Findings (Patrick J. Michaels, National Review)
More Carbon Dioxide, Please (Roy W. Spencer, National Review)
Real-World Constraints on Global Warming (Sherwood B. Idso, The Fraser Institute)
My Nobel Moment (PDF) (John Christy, The Wall Street Journal)
Resisting climate hysteria (Richard S. Lindzen, Quandrant)

You of course realize that with a little work I could put together a post of quotes of hundreds of relevant scientists all saying in effect that MMCC is bad and mankind must do something about it. And since my quotes would out-number yours by a factor of 20 or 50, that would cause you to change your mind, right?

I thought not.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

Did I ever tell you that the letters of your name include the word "Fail?"

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Please Sandorski, can you name me 200 of those "10's of thousands of Climatologists" ? You can't because there's not that many accredited. Please don't exaggerate credentials.

I can't provide you with TENS of thousands, but how does this do you?

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/06/04/1003187107.full.pdf+html

From the abstract:
Here, we use an extensive dataset of 1,372 climate researchers and their publication and citation data to show that (i) 97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field support the tenets of ACC outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and (ii) the relative climate expertise and scientific prominence of the researchers unconvinced of ACC are substantially below that of the convinced researchers.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I can't provide you with TENS of thousands, but how does this do you?

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/06/04/1003187107.full.pdf+html

From the abstract:

Fail. Those are not accredited Climatologists. There was a time that any scientist could claim the title of "Climatologist" regardless of their actual discipline, but now that there are credentials for PhD's in Climatology that claim can no longer be honestly made. Call them "Climate scientists" or better yet by their actual discipline.

http://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/stu.../slevel/15/cgory/rf.51-4/sin/ct/programs.html

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Last edited:

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
Fail. Those are not accredited Climatologists. There was a time that any scientist could claim the title of "Climatologist" regardless of their actual discipline, but now that there are credentials for PhD's in Climatology that claim can no longer be honestly made. Call them "Climate scientists" or better yet by their actual discipline.

http://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/stu.../slevel/15/cgory/rf.51-4/sin/ct/programs.html

Beyond that you have the problem of man made global warming proponents putting together lists of people who support them by simply copying lists of scientists who belong to various organizations. I've seen some interviews with some pretty pissed off scientists because no matter what they do the cultists refuse to remove their names from their lists of "supporters".

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I've seen some interviews with some pretty pissed off scientists because no matter what they do the cultists refuse to remove their names from their lists of "skeptics".

Fixed that for you.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

"Accredited Climatologists?" Do you mean these people don't carry around little picture IDs with the words "Accredited Climatologist" in their wallets?

What the study DID determine that those who published the greatest number of peer-reviewed articles on climatology - for anyone but you, the very essence of being an "accredited climatologist" - agreed with the IPCC at a rate in excess of 97%.

Now, why don't YOU tell us what "accredited climatologist" means?