Rant No wonder I'm getting Nausea.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I was feeling rather Nauseous since last week until a few hours ago from reading these two articles, it sounds like it is the high consumption of diet soda that I have.
https://www.doctoroz.com/blog/donna-cardillo-rn-ma/diet-soda-reason-youre-not-feeling-well
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/upset-stomach-after-drinking-soda

Now I'm wondering if this triggered my current strong depressive episode that begin last week. It is so bad that I didn't even shower, changed clothes, or even clean my apartment before this weeks Inspection.

That it I quitting soda completely before I make mental health more worse than it is already is. Or ruin my stomach.

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
When you say high consumption, how much are you talking? I wouldn't trust articles from someone like Dr Oz who is primarily focused on generating value, not good health advice.

With that said, yes, artificial sweeteners are well known to cause digestion issues - you can read plenty of stories of people who ate entire bags of sugar free gummy bears only to be shitting out their intestines hours later because the body can't digest it appropriately.

Empirically - I've had no issues with artificial sweeteners of any kind, however I only probably have 5-10g on a given day (protein powder, some sugar free condiments, etc).

I wouldn't jump to correlation = causation quite yet, but limiting or eliminating your diet soda consumption is by no means a bad thing (soda does literally nothing nutritionally for you).

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yeah I was just looking up info about the subject and I should have posted a better link then Oz.

I drink at least 2 to 4 2L bottles a day and have gone to 6 of them in one day.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah I was just looking up info about the subject and I should have posted a better link then Oz.

:oops:
Do you drink anything else, or just diet soda?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well the good news is that I haven't had soda since yesterday afternoon.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Try a little SAM-e for any mood adjustments needed - supplemented with a multivitamin. Lovely combo.

(it's a prescription anti-depressant over in Europe)

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004

Holy shit. Yes that is way too much. I don't understand how you can even consume that volume of liquid without having them permanently on IV drip.

I'd either look at mixing them 50/50 with water or simply cut back as significantly as possible if you can go cold turkey.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Holy shit. Yes that is way too much. I don't understand how you can even consume that volume of liquid without having them permanently on IV drip.

I'd either look at mixing them 50/50 with water or simply cut back as significantly as possible if you can go cold turkey.
Unfortunately I went back on soda after a few days of going cold turkey. To encourage myself to quit, I'm going to buy a music keyboard for my birthday in about a month. Giving up soda should allow me to save up for good ones like Casio and Yamaha.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If I were you I'd seek professional advice if possible for whether cold turkey or cutting back is the best plan.

Reactions: snoopy7548

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Slowly switch to water. After you take a sip of soda, take a sip of water. Keep doing this and gradually decrease your soda intake as you increase your water intake. Four two-liter bottles of soda per day is insane. Even two is insane.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
o_0

And here I thought guzzling a whole 2 liter of regular Mountain Dew over an 8 hour shift was bad.