No store inventory renewal in BG2?

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I have so much money I want to spend on nice magical stuff but Ribald's store does not seem to renew its inventory at all. Always the same old stuff plus whatever I sold him. :(

Is there a mod that can cure this or can I get the good shit only through questing?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
ribald's refreshes after you get out of the underdark.

also, if you have ToB installed, there should be a lady in the back (Delia i think) who sells some sweet loot (shield and armor of balduran, among other things)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
I saw that mentioned in BG2 sites. Was just wondering if there was anything else.

Officially, Ribald and Delia will have the best items for sale. However, you'll locate some pretty powerful items throughout the course of the game.

If you defeat Kangaxx, the demi lich, he has an awesome ring. He's a damn hard fight though, and you'd better have some scrolls of Freedom available with a mage able to cast them.

In the Temple district, in the second floor of one of the large temples in the lower part of the map, there are several powerful opponents that attack you on sight that also have some nice gear.

Be warned though, I found these two encounters to be the toughest in the game, more than the end fight sequences.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
don't forget the knights at the end of the underdark tunnels. soulstealer +4 2-handed sword. -2 thac0 on hit, and a few other sweet stats. only useable by evil characters though.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: FirewolfX
Gatekeeper FTW!

Yeah, that was the only way I was able to beat Kangaxx. :eek:

pffft, weak! i've beaten him numerous times, on insane, without any cheats :badass; :p

Technically, I beat him once, but all members of my party were Imprisoned except for myself and I was a monk. Pyrrhic victory.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Well, I'm playing a party of one evil berserker and so far she's been only to the Promenade, Slums and Grave Yard (where she's accumulating loot and experience by sleeping in the Egyptian crypt and kicking spawning mummy/ghast butt).

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/dennilfloss/miraine.jpg

Toughest opponents she's met so far were the gang in the room above the poor-people inn in the Promenade. She had to separate them before she could dispatch them one by one. They had shit for loot though. :(

Probably gonna spend a few months game-time in the crypt and explore other areas once she's at level 15. That's when I plan to clean the slaver compound too.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In the entire time I've been playing this game, never once have I heard someone complain "there is too much money".

Dude, you just arent trying. Seriously.

Cromwell charges an assload considering you have to find all the parts he needs and give them to him.
Easiest forged item: Mace of Disruption.
Get the regular Mace of Disruption from the Vampires Lair under the Graveyard District. Its in the Blood Pool in the NW corner of the lair.
THEN: Get the chunk of Illithium Ore.
You aquire the ore as part of the Church sidequests. You dont need to be a cleric to get it. Go to the Temple District and wander around until you happen upon the Cult of the Eyeless quest. During that time you can also bug the clergy for their Art quest. When you get done tracking down the Illitium needed for the Sculpture, DONT GIVE IT TO THE ARTIST!
Keep it for yourself.

Take the Mace and the Ore to Cromwell (he's in the SE of the Docks District). When you have both he will offer to upgrade your mace. The upgrade version gives you Negative Plane Protection, which (in this game) is really only useful for resisting the Vampires level drain attacks.

Then theres the assload of scrolls in the game, of which I can never have enough. When you start buying the level 6 and up it gets pretty damn expensive.
Get Edwin and have him learn everything he can. Even if its only for the experience points.

Oh, and back to the Topic: No, the stores do not refresh, which is probably a good thing.
Theres already plenty of ammo and potions and such in the game. You would have to do some crazy stuff to use them ALL up.
And sometimes you may wish to go back and purchase something you sold off, like if you need it for forging or something.
Many times I accidentally sold that stupid hammer only to need it later when I got the other parts for Crom Feyer.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
I saw that mentioned in BG2 sites. Was just wondering if there was anything else.

Officially, Ribald and Delia will have the best items for sale. However, you'll locate some pretty powerful items throughout the course of the game.

If you defeat Kangaxx, the demi lich, he has an awesome ring. He's a damn hard fight though, and you'd better have some scrolls of Freedom available with a mage able to cast them.

In the Temple district, in the second floor of one of the large temples in the lower part of the map, there are several powerful opponents that attack you on sight that also have some nice gear.

Be warned though, I found these two encounters to be the toughest in the game, more than the end fight sequences.

Hehe... hehehe....

I remember playing the Temple district one with some AT folks a year or so ago. I remember we had Fenixgoon, Userman, and 1-2 other ATers.

Time Stop + Fireball + Fireball + Time Stop + Fireball + Magic Missile + Time Stop + Magic Missile + Hold Person

I think that's close to what I did to "soften up" some of them ;)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
god i miss those AT BG2 nights. as i recall, we got as far as killing gromnir in ToB and then things fell apart :(

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
As a lone fighter type you have pretty much 0 chance against any of the tougher enemies. High level mages are just going to cast 8 protections on themselves and be pretty much immune to your attacks. The mind flayers and beholders are just going to hold you and pummel you to death while you can't do anything...

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Being a paladin is bad because when your alignment changes to something other than lawful good you just die. That makes the end of the game MUCH harder because you need to figure out and do all the good things in the pocket plane.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
god i miss those AT BG2 nights. as i recall, we got as far as killing gromnir in ToB and then things fell apart :(

Get it organized again and I'll dig up my BG2 discs!

Now that I'm done with Mass Effect I don't have any other RPGs to play until Enchanted Arms and Lost Odyssey get here... :p

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: s44
Kangaxx is easy. One scroll and he's toast. ;)

care to explain what scroll that is?

fwiw, i had viconia kill him in 1 hit using the mace of disruption +2. that was one of my greatest BG2 moments ever :D

Originally posted by: Spartan Niner

Now that I'm done with Mass Effect I don't have any other RPGs to play until Enchanted Arms and Lost Odyssey get here... :p

I'd love to, but I don't think I have the large spans of time to devote to BG2 like before :(

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

fwiw, i had viconia kill him in 1 hit using the mace of disruption +2. that was one of my greatest BG2 moments ever :D

Originally posted by: Spartan Niner

I'd love to, but I don't think I have the large spans of time to devote to BG2 like before :(

Probably for the better, that game sucked up so much time when I was younger...

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006

Protection from Undead. Cast it on yourself, hide the rest of your party in the corner... He can't even see you while you beat on him. Make sure to pop out another party member so he can give his death speech tho.

Protection from Magic. Cast it on yourself, so you're immune, or on him, so he can't cast.

Fortunately for you, Kangaxx lacks the Protection from Cheese spell or scroll.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Protection from Undead. Cast it on yourself, hide the rest of your party in the corner... He can't even see you while you beat on him. Make sure to pop out another party member so he can give his death speech tho.

Protection from Magic. Cast it on yourself, so you're immune, or on him, so he can't cast.

Fortunately for you, Kangaxx lacks the Protection from Cheese spell or scroll.

damn, i never thought to use those spells! i just beat the shit out of him so fast that he generally can't cast imprisonment :p

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Spell Immunity: Abjuration also protects you from Imprisonment. It's what I plan to do with my solo Fighter/Mage/Thief - either that or a lot of running the hell away, waiting for protection spells to run out, then backstabbing.

God I love backstabbing. A little while ago I was level 9/10/11 FMT and I did a quadruple backstab for.... 184 damage :Q. Sure, it was a critical, but still... damn. I haven't even explored half of Athkatla yet, either, and my best weapon is Celestial Fury.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Why would you make a character with more than 3 charisma off the bat? You get a ring that boosts it to 18 almost right at the beginning of the game anyway.