No quagmire?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
MrBurns:

Liberty isn't priceless. It has a very high cost. I lost two of my closest Marine buddies in Nam. Neither of their mothers thought the sacrifice was worth it but both were proud of their sons.

Anyway, before any President sends our sons to die in a foreign land he'd better tell the American people the truth. Johnson lied. Nixon lied. And now Bush lied about war. All three were traitors to America and our democratic principles.

I am not amused.

I'll be certain to vote my conscience a year from now and I hope many like-minded Republicans, Democrats, and Independents do likewise.

-Robert

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: chess9
MrBurns:

Liberty isn't priceless. It has a very high cost. I lost two of my closest Marine buddies in Nam. Neither of their mothers thought the sacrifice was worth it but both were proud of their sons.

Anyway, before any President sends our sons to die in a foreign land he'd better tell the American people the truth. Johnson lied. Nixon lied. And now Bush lied about war. All three were traitors to America and our democratic principles.

I am not amused.

I'll be certain to vote my conscious a year from now and I hope many like-minded Republicans, Democrats, and Independents do likewise.

-Robert

I have several friends that are in the millitary and they tell me they would rather die on the battlefield then be accountants and die of a heart attack at 65, they think that is a waste of their life.

Mothers never think war is worth it, I understand that losing someone is very painful but today millitary service is voluntary. If you join you know that the millitary owns your butt and that you are expendable.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
MrBurns:

Well, no accountant worth his salt would say a G.I. is expendable. :)

But, you raise a good point. The major weakness of the all volunteer military is that it is lacking cognitive dissonance and dialectic tension. I.e., a large group of guys who don't want to be there and will question everything.

One of the reasons we failed in Vietnam was because the troops didn't support the war. The guys who were on the line wanted to know the cause was just. I'm sure the modern soldier doesn't feel as though he's just earning a paycheck, but doing something for freedom and democracy. I doubt a single one of them feels expendable.

Anyway, I had an Airborne relative over to my house last week for two days. He says morale is very low in Afghanistan, where he was posted. He also told me the guys in Iraq are stretched way too thin, putting lots of our boys in needless peril. Thank Rumsfeld for that....

-Robert

bauerbrazil

Mar 21, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
No matter the outcome there, it better not become another Vietnam where the Country disgraced it's own soldiers. They are OUR Heros no matter what. They are also the World's Heros in ridding a Dictator from Power and killing the people there.

WMD or No WMD the guy did have to go and our Forces did it. Huah!

Huahsuashaaush, world's heros??? Not for me, more like idiot's puppets.

You poop in Iraq, now you clean.