No output on monitor or any usb components.

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
My pc was working fine till last night.i watched a movie,turned my system off as always.went to bed.tried to turn on my pc the very next day.to my surprise,there is no output on the monitor.it had been working fine all these years.i have no idea what went wrong.
When i switch it on :-
-all the system fans are running
-gpu fans are running
-optical disk drive is working.
-the disk on hdd is spinning i think
-cpu power phase lights on the motherboard are on

The problem:-
1. No output on monitor.nothing.just black screen.not even bios.
2.no output on usb components like mouse and keyboard,which generally used to display some light as soon as system was turned on
So,basically there is no output.

What i tried:-
1.placing ram stick in different slots.
2.tried reconnecting the wires.
3.tried removing the cmos cell.

I donno what is wrong.any help is appreciated.thank you

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A video card biting the dust could do that. The failure is interrupting POST, so that could be why you aren't seeing USB port lights.

It could also be the motherboard. It's almost a coin toss. I am leaning toward the video card, but don't have much more than a hunch to back that up.

One question: did your computer used to have a beep a couple seconds after you turned it on, and does it still?

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
I do have a buzzer connected to the motherboard,but it never made any sound ,except when windows xp was installed.i havent heard the buzzer since 4 years,but everything else ran fine.

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
Could also be your PSU.
Ok.so i will test my psu on my friends mobo.but he doesnt have a power hungry build and has onboard gfx.if my psu is able to run his system.would that indicate that my psu is problem free ?

Pick2

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2017
Not necessarily. You could disconnect all but the essentials and see if that makes a difference.

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
Is there any way i could make my motherboard speaker work,so that i can check the beeps for POST test ?

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
Ok.so i tested my psu and graphic card on my friends motherboard.both are working fine.but as i said his system isnt power hungry.his cpu require only 4 pin connector.but overall impression is that ,psu and graphic cards seems to be fine.
So is my motherboard faulty?

I want to add one more thing.the problem i explained with my system happened earlier too.but it was resolved just by turning my system on and off from the switch,and it quickly ran fine.this only happened about once in 3 to 4 months.so i didnt pay much attention,as a simple restart would solve the problem
But this time,it just fails to run properly.help please

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Have you tried hitting it, really hard, multiple times?

xAmvxi.gif

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Do you know how to spot bulging/leaking capacitors? If you have any bad caps on your MOBO that's a sure sign of failure.

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
All the capacitors looks to be healthy.but i cannot check them for internal leakage.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
If your bios is not throwing errors then your motherboard is dead. bad cpu, bad/no gpu, all throw errors.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Try your monitor on your friends computer. If it works, then your mobo is probably shot. If it does not, then your monitor has gone belly up.

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
Ok it seems like i will have to buy a new mobo.i havent been in touch of the market for some time.can you suggest some good but not expensive mobo.i wont be overclocking.but i need something that can easily handle the rest of the system,at a reasonable price

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
That mobo only had a 1 year warranty on it and it was an AMD 970 chip based unit. So depending on if the OP wants to reuse his CPU or go to an Intel based unit, there are many choices out there to pick from.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Well the sky is the limit if he wants to swap things like cpu and RAM, but his post mentioned only swapping out the board right now. It wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade since the system could be around 5 years old, but we'll need to wait and see if he's ready for that.

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
Well m planning to buy a laptop because i travel a lot.so i wont be upgrading my desktop,but need something to keep it running.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Pull the video card out. Does it have integrated video? Sometimes video card can be just a little out of kilter and it will ground out or something. If you remove it and reboot, maybe it will give you a message, or beep codes.

DivS

Jul 2, 2017
Pull the video card out. Does it have integrated video? Sometimes video card can be just a little out of kilter and it will ground out or something. If you remove it and reboot, maybe it will give you a message, or beep codes.

As for the beep codes,i looked up on the internet and found out that the buzzer does not work on 64-bit systems.
I do not have onboard graphics,or integrated cpu graphics,so the only way to get output is through the graphics card.i tested the graphics card on my friends pc and it works fine.