Question No more Samsung mSatas?

Snowleopard3000

Jan 7, 2018
I am looking everywhere within reason to find EVO 860 mSata's and I am getting messages that the are currently un-available. Is Samsung coming out with new mSata's? if not, can I disassemble a T5 or T7 to get them?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
if your going to go as far as shucking them i would probably look on ebay for a mSATA.

As for are more coming out?
I highly doubt it.
mSATA was mostly aimed at the portable / mini.
nVME's M.2. have basically killed that market, making mSATA almost obsolete.

Snowleopard3000

Jan 7, 2018
^5 +1 what aigomorla said.

mSATA solid state drives are definitely obsolete. I maintain a public service ssd database. I have not seen any technical reviews or announcements about mSATA solid state drives for several years.

That stinks, I have a laptop that is a 3rd gen I7 and I am using mSata's for boot drives and have been waiting for 2TB msata's until I make the move to newer equipment using NVMe drives.

I saw Dogfish makes 2TB mSata's but I want Samsung's warranty and rapid mode. I have never heard of Dogfish until recently.

Snowleopard3000

Jan 7, 2018
UPDATE - Sabrent just announced a brand new mSATA ssd. First announcement I have seen in a very long time. Go to the Sabrent website for more information

Thanks, I am sort of biased towards Samsung SSD's, I have never had one fail, but I have had other brands fail.

Do you know much about the Dogfish SSD's? They have a 2TB mSata on Amazon, but I have never heard of them. I am still interested to know if the Samsung T7's still use a removable mSata like the T5 and T3's do. By removable, meaning I would have to take it apart and pull the mSata out of it.

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
I have a msata to sata enclosure with a Ddan msata drive, but I know it is not reliable. I had it setup doing Monero and it would give me write errors.

Strange it makes a good windows drive have it with a am3 board driving windows. Probably in a while will have to recycle some of that gear.

I would double think your reliance on Samsung drives, I am using a nvme 970 evo under Linux and it gives me firmware errors. Doing research it seems that nix is second hand fiddle for Samsung. I don't think I will buy another Samsung drive until, they have good nix support.

R81Z3N1

Snowleopard3000

Jan 7, 2018
Well, I ordered a Samsung T7 (non-touch) and did a tear down and sad to say, the T7's no longer have an mSata inside..... what a bummer...... It is a dumb custom PCB with enough dead space on it for them to put at least 16TB of nand on it it instead of the 2TB of nand it came with.

I guess I will use the T7 like a thumb drive with 2Tb of flac files and hardwire it into my cars head unit.

Now, I need to get a T5 before they discontinue them to be able to get a 2TB mSata.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Yeah, sad thing is now nVME's come in USB, so mSATA has no point in USB anymore either.

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
I personally purchased an Orico one (Troodon m200) for testing a while back but it's tough to find their 2TB SKU. Dogfish is a typical BOM I believe, looking at their mSATA it shows a DRAM-less SM2246XT which would be quite outdated. Might be wrong - the Troodon I got had the updated SM2259XT instead. I have a list of portable SSDs here - you can duplicate the list and filter those for SATA and 2TB and see if any are mSATA internally.

Last edited: