No More Green Eggs And Ham For YOU

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Along with other circumstances, because Joe Biden was the first to not mention Dr Seuss in his speech for the Read Across America event, people have used that as another thread to believe that there was a collaborative effort to start censoring Dr Seuss. That these 6 books are the first of more to come later.
That certainly doesn’t qualify as evidence.

Reactions: Meghan54

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The way things are right now, approximately one half of the country operates on evidence, and the other half operates on belief.
And in case no one noticed, blind belief is a LOT stronger. It leaves no room for doubt or questioning. Those people are probably gonna start a war and probably gonna win.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

Never said it was hard evidence. I said it was a circumstance used to draw a conclusion by anything thinking there is a coordinated effort to censor Dr Seuss here. It is circumstantial evidence though. Which is usually what is used by most people to form their opinions on a wide variety of topics.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
The real problem here is that those three occurrences would not lead anyone to the conclusion that there was censorship.

First of all, 99% of the US population would not even know about any of those three occurrences had they been reported and forgotten by the next news cycle. Nobody outside of that specific school district gives a single solitary fuck about what that school district is doing. Nobody gives a single solitary fuck about what books a President does or does not recommend. Very few people give a shit about what the owners of Dr. Seuss' works decided to publish or not publish anymore. BUT, you carefully package all three of those things up, and add a healthy dose of "people are saying" and now you have a product you can sell to millions of Americans desperate for any flimsy excuse to hate Democrats.

You say that, but the ebay also banned the reselling of Dr Seuss books. Go try and buy one of those books off Amazon or other places. You can't unless you want to pay a ridiculously inflated price. More people than you think believe there was a concerted effort, for whatever reason, to censor these books at this time.

Trell

Oct 28, 2003
You say that, but the ebay also banned the reselling of Dr Seuss books. Go try and buy one of those books off Amazon or other places. You can't unless you want to pay a ridiculously inflated price. More people than you think believe there was a concerted effort, for whatever reason, to censor these books at this time.
It looks like people are selling "If I ran the zoo" still on ebay...

Reactions: Zorba

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Please provide a link to ebay stating sales are banned.

As to the part I bolded:

That is capitalism, not censorship.

As for the last sentence - I believe many people think that because a bunch of talking heads told them a pack of lies and they bought it. There are millions who claim to think Trump won the election. The number of people who believe something doesn't make it accurate or true.

Reactions: pmv

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It looks like people are selling "If I ran the zoo" still on ebay...

As I don't let conservative media shit directly into my skull the way HP does, it was the first I heard about eBay. After Googling, eBay has issued a statement that they are in the process of delisting them all. I cannot find an explanation of why though.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
As I don't let conservative media shit directly into my skull the way HP does, it was the first I heard about eBay. After Googling, eBay has issued a statement that they are in the process of delisting them all. I cannot find an explanation of why though.

Thank you. I see that now.

Some quotes from a wsj article:

“EBay is currently sweeping our marketplace to remove these items,” a spokeswoman for the company said in an email. New copies of the six books were no longer for sale online at major retailers such as Barnes & Noble on Thursday afternoon, which put eBay among the most prominent platforms for the books to be sold.

Message received by a seller:
“Dr. Seuss Enterprises has stopped publication of this book due to its negative portrayal of some ethnicities,” said the email message from eBay, which was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. “As a courtesy, we have ended your item and refunded your selling fees, and as long as you do not relist the item, there will be no negative impact to your account.”

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I would imagine to try and stop the price gouging that will happen.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
It's an interesting social phenomenon that an essentially dead thread on a topic of minor (at best) controversy can jump to several additional pages per hour with just a little bit of trolling.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It's an interesting social phenomenon that an essentially dead thread on a topic of minor (at best) controversy can jump to several additional pages per hour with just a little bit of trolling.
The conservative movement over the last few decades has been working hard on making an issue of things by lying about them, overblowing their importance, and making up an opposition and lying about what that opposition says.
Trolling is a key tenant of that strategy. It works. Not a surprise the common folk use it daily as well.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Thank you. I see that now.

Some quotes from a wsj article:

“EBay is currently sweeping our marketplace to remove these items,” a spokeswoman for the company said in an email. New copies of the six books were no longer for sale online at major retailers such as Barnes & Noble on Thursday afternoon, which put eBay among the most prominent platforms for the books to be sold.

Message received by a seller:
“Dr. Seuss Enterprises has stopped publication of this book due to its negative portrayal of some ethnicities,” said the email message from eBay, which was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. “As a courtesy, we have ended your item and refunded your selling fees, and as long as you do not relist the item, there will be no negative impact to your account.”

Wow I am glad you can actually look stuff on the web for once! Multiple people were reporting getting their listings of the books removed from ebay and the reason given being as inappropriate content. As I said, such things just added more fuel to the idea of this being overt censorship to people that want to believe that.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
The conservative movement over the last few decades has been working hard on making an issue of things by lying about them, overblowing their importance, and making up an opposition and lying about what that opposition says.
Trolling is a key tenant of that strategy. It works. Not a surprise the common folk use it daily as well.

I wouldn't call dank69 a conservative as he was the one trolling with his snarky posts replying to mine starting with 101 questioning my timeline statements and then 103 calling me a Neanderthal because he was too lazy to look someone up for himself.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Wow I am glad you can actually look stuff on the web for once! Multiple people were reporting getting their listings of the books removed from ebay and the reason given being as inappropriate content. As I said, such things just added more fuel to the idea of this being overt censorship to people that want to believe that.

I guess your law degree didn’t cover supporting your assertions with evidence at the time you make them. Or you’re just lazy I guess.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
HumblePie said:
1) Louden School District removes 6 Dr. Seuss books from their recommended reading list for the Read Across America event

The fact that those were the same books removed from the Louden School District recommendation list though is sus to that claim.

So if the Louden School district didn't remove from their recommendation list the exact same 6 books that the publisher said they were no longer going to be publishing...

Unfortunately, I can find nothing to substantiate the idea that the Louden County school board removed any books from any list, and I have looked. You have repeated it several times so you must have a source, and I would appreciate it if you would post it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Imagine that >500,000 died from COVID and the primary concerns of conservatrives are

a plastic potato
some childrens books taken out of production

Reactions: Zorba

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016

Half of the GOP thinks the election was stolen, why should anyone with more than 2 braincells give a single fuck about what these mouthbreathers think?

Reactions: HomerJS and dank69