No Line BiFocals?

Nov 17, 2019
Anybody use them?

I got a regular pair a couple of years back but rarely use them since the line bothers me. My insurance at the time wouldn't pay for the upgrade, but my new plan does ... I think.

So, do they work without the line? Are they still annoying?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I've have to wear bifocals, and of course I went without the line. They work great, and yes I find them annoying, but necessary.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Before I had cataract surgery ( I no longer need glasses ) I had line less bifocals and never had an issue with them. Before I did have some with lines and they made me feel off balance all the time.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I have no line trifocals. My advice: get used to them before walking off pavement. The slope of the ground changes with head tilt. Also, the sweet spot for reading is very narrow.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have progressive lenses with three "zones", they were awkward to get used to, but now it's more awkward to use single vision lenses.
I got mine from Zenni Optical, the upcharge at my local optical shop even with insurance was outrageous. I have two sets of progressives from Zenni now, and next year I'll probably get a set of progressive sunglasses too.
And yeah, per IronWing, there's a very specific bit of the lens I have to use for reading, in the center bottom, to the bottom left/right it's no good.
Bloody presbyopia :mad:
Got tired of taking my glasses off/lifting them up when I wanted to see things close to my face.

Last edited:
Reactions: gradoman

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i dont think no line bi-focals exist.
it's no line tri-focals.

reading specs on the bottom, long distance specs on top, and in the middle where they blend the line becomes computer reading specs.

i hate it.

i can still legally drive without glasses.
lately, words started to become fuzzy when i read it from my smartphone.
so i got no line bifocals because i didnt want to seem like an old man.

noone warned me about the middle where the line is blended in.
yuck.
when walking, if your eyes look slightly down, it gets slightly fuzzy.

stopped wearing them and got bi-focals.
Dont have that problem because the reading part is low enough that eyes looking slightly down doesnt affect the vision.

luckily, all from zenni

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i dont think no line bi-focals exist.
it's no line tri-focals.

reading specs on the bottom, long distance specs on top, and in the middle where they blend the line becomes computer reading specs.

i hate it.

i can still legally drive without glasses.
lately, words started to become fuzzy when i read it from my smartphone.
so i got no line bifocals because i didnt want to seem like an old man.

noone warned me about the middle where the line is blended in.
yuck.
when walking, if your eyes look slightly down, it gets slightly fuzzy.

stopped wearing them and got bi-focals.
Dont have that problem because the reading part is low enough that eyes looking slightly down doesnt affect the vision.

luckily, all from zenni
How long did you spend for your adjustment period? I think it was a solid week or two before I was really used to them, but when I started out I really didn't like them and just kind of put them aside, but then found myself wearing them more frequently.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
How long did you spend for your adjustment period? I think it was a solid week or two before I was really used to them, but when I started out I really didn't like them and just kind of put them aside, but then found myself wearing them more frequently.
only a couple of times.

i dont wear glasses daily.
i only wear them when i go to places i'm not that familiar with.
so maybe a few times a month.

i know i will have to soon carry reading glasses everyday.
it's getting harder and harder to read menus. :(

geez.. 21yrs on this forum. :eek:
How the hell did i get old?

Nov 17, 2019
Had the checkup today. Insurance covers one per year and one pair of glasses if needed. I didn't go last year, so I wasn't sure what to expect. No problems at all, no defects and vision stayed the same, almost exactly what it was 2 years ago. He wanted to make a minor change to the 'scrip, so set me up for a new pair of no-line. This place is set up with the doctor in one office and the glass place next door. Glass place looked up my coverage and wouldn't you know, the new specs with the options/updates (auto-tinting, glare resistant, shatterproof, and no line) came in to just under what the coverage was ... like by $50 or so.

Funny how that works out, eh?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Glass place looked up my coverage and wouldn't you know, the new specs with the options/updates (auto-tinting, glare resistant, shatterproof, and no line) came in to just under what the coverage was ... like by $50 or so.

Funny how that works out, eh?
would have figured an amount slightly OVER the coverage level then tell you they'll eat the difference but you still have to pay the taxes on the covered amount to wring 5% more from you

Macher

Jun 22, 2021
The line on my bifocals doesn't bother me. I have to look for it specifically to even see it.

The optometrist pushed the (much more expensive) no-line bifocals hard, but it looked to me like the no-line thing would make for a wider zone of not-quite-in-focus, not what I wanted when moving between the physical desktop and my computer desktop.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I have the no-line multifocal glasses and they work pretty well.
Before that, I had multifocal contact lenses that worked really well. The only problem was I couldn't see very small text up close with the lenses in. Also, due to their multi-focal nature the image you see is darker than it actually is because the amount of light getting into your eye that is of the correct focus is less.

As I got older, I also added computer-specific glasses. Otherwise, I was tipping my head to get to the right focal part in my lenses to read text on my computer. I also have distance-only lenses for use on my VR headset.

If you can tolerate it, I think the no line bi and tri focals are worth it as then your head just figures out where to look and you don't have such a sudden no-go or go area.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I use progressive cheaters. My lens prescription strength doesn't justify getting actual glasses.

I tried regular readers, but the differences between looking at my display, my desk surface, my phone, text on paper, etc made them a hassle. The progressives fixed that. There's probably 3 if not 4 zones in the lenses and no lines. It didn't take long to adjust to them, but walking around with them on still isn't comfortable. They're 3.5 magnification strength, and anything further than arm's length away and it gets a lil fuzzy.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
The difference between lined and no-line bifocals, is that, with the line, you're looking thru one lens strength, or the other. There's a clear delineation between the two.

With no-line bifocals, they blend the area, between the two strengths. Which I actually find easier to use, as you can tip your head until you find the "sweet spot", for the distance you're trying to read from. So it's actually like getting multiple lenses, instead of just two.

Be aware, if you have issues with astigmatism (as I do), that the outside of your lenses will correct that, more than the center. So while the center will be better for adjusting your lens strength, the outside of your lenses will be less so. Hopefully that makes sense!