no jobs and no girls in engineering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: sygyzy
You are learning that now? The dumber the major, the hotter the chicks.

Art History
Psychology
Business, Econ, Accounting
Marketing (I know it's not a major, but go to this dept in any company...HOT)

you, sir, are an ass

No sh1t, I guess we should'nt tell him the head of HP is a medevil studies major.

thetruth21

Banned
Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo

Art History
Psychology

you, sir, are an ass

No sh1t, I guess we should'nt tell him the head of HP is a medevil studies major.

it is called a generalization guys. jesus christ should he list every person in the world with those majors 1 at a time and indicate how smart they are.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum

Art History
Psychology

As an econ major who is going into accounting as a career field, I take offense to that comment, sir.

Although I would agree, there are many attractive women in my classes. Gotta love finance.

As a CS Major who switched and graduated with a Business / Economics degree, I don't. I have seen both sides of the coin. I know what I am talking about. I also work at a tech company. Half engineers, half other (marketing, sales, etc). I see it everyday.

Go sit in some CS classes. Then go sit in a random psych, art, etc class. Tell me what you see.

Don't take offense to it. Don't take yourself so seriously. Enjoy life :)

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000

Art History
Psychology

you, sir, are an ass

I assume by your comment you are implying that Carly Fiorina is hot?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Art History
Psychology

you, sir, are an ass

I assume by your comment you are implying that Carly Fiorina is hot?

LOL;)

Seriously there's a lot of factors besides what you majored in during that short time in your life. Hell life is short anyway do what you want but do your best. Much more fun that way and rewarding.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: OS
Originally posted by: Ameesh

how are you following up with the resumes , are you even following up?

There's nothing to really follow up, most companies use web submission these days. There's no phone number to contact. And since only defense is really hiring, I can't just visit these places since they're all high security.

When I do occasionally get a human contact, I ask multiple times for other options, and they just refer me to more electronic submissions systems.

you are not being persistant or persuasive enough.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you are talking about CE and EE, yes, the jobs are hard to come by. At my school, mechanical engineers find jobs easily (I guess it helps to live in Michigan) and Civil Engineering has 100% placement rate and most students get multiple offers. Don't worry either, they can't send a civil engineering job overseas. I agree with the person above about the majors, business/econ/art/history tend to have the hottest girls but they also tend to be the dumb majors.

Aug 14, 2001
I don't know about you guys, but I didn't see any of my EE classmates having too difficult of a time finding jobs upon graduation. Granted, I'm going to graduate school right now and didn't really apply anywhere, but it seems like you're doing something wrong.

What school did you go to? Perhaps you can contact the career center or work through the alumni network.

Kalpana

Jun 1, 2003
you know..I am in medschool..and I can't say that I am attracted to any of my classmates. I guess it is mind as well that I am stuck with a CE. :)

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: obiwaynekenobi
Originally posted by: CheapArse
no jobs in EE eh? im trying to decide between business & EE...

I meet a really hot chick going into EE

going into. :) there are a lot of gals going into but not a lot coming out. at least in the program we have at our school.

some people are meant to write papers all night, some people are meant to spend all night in lab with body odor. one is not necessarily more difficult than another. some engineers cant spell (and could care less really). most psych majors cant program. cant we all get along.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002

Art History
Psychology

Except for English - for some reason most female English majors are mud hens.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
I don't know about you guys, but I didn't see any of my EE classmates having too difficult of a time finding jobs upon graduation. Granted, I'm going to graduate school right now and didn't really apply anywhere, but it seems like you're doing something wrong.

What school did you go to? Perhaps you can contact the career center or work through the alumni network.

I'm not doing anything wrong, I've had many job offers that were not engineering related.

You should go apply AND get an offer first then come back and tell me it's easy.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time taking grad classes in EE.

I work in distribution/sales now, half of my coworkers are attractive women recent graduates and they're all really friendly. It seriously sucks to go from there to my grad class at night where it's all fobby guys.

Go to law school. In my school there are actually cute + intelligent girls. :)

-Ed

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

I'm not doing anything wrong, I've had many job offers that were not engineering related.

You should go apply AND get an offer first then come back and tell me it's easy.

Are you only applying in a specific region or are you applying nation-wide? None of my fellow EEs had a difficult time getting jobs either... they worked through the university's career center and even the career centers of other universities. Where did you go?

Don't be discouraged!

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

Are you only applying in a specific region or are you applying nation-wide? None of my fellow EEs had a difficult time getting jobs either... they worked through the university's career center and even the career centers of other universities. Where did you go?

Don't be discouraged!

Mostly CA, north and south, but sprinklings across the nation.

I've don't remember where I've applied anymore and I'm not even going to try to remember. It's in excess of 100 openings easily. I've tried the campus career center more times than I can remember and nothing happened.

I'm kind of apathetic to finding an engineering position these days. I'm ok with where I am working now and this rough patch has helped me to develop skills that I would never have if I had continued along in the engineering field. I just want to mention that getting an EE degree doesn't make you special, it doesn't necessarily make finding a job easier, and it doesn't make you any less expendable to any company.

Alternex

Oct 9, 1999
just have patience. I've been job hunting for a while and got zero response. Then all of a sudden I get calls around the clock regarding interviews.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Don't be discouraged!

Mostly CA, north and south, but sprinklings across the nation.

I've don't remember where I've applied anymore and I'm not even going to try to remember. It's in excess of 100 openings easily. I've tried the campus career center more times than I can remember and nothing happened.

I'm kind of apathetic to finding an engineering position these days. I'm ok with where I am working now and this rough patch has helped me to develop skills that I would never have if I had continued along in the engineering field. I just want to mention that getting an EE degree doesn't make you special, it doesn't necessarily make finding a job easier, and it doesn't make you any less expendable to any company.

Maybe you should try more sprinklings around the country :) There's more than just California. I was under the impression that jobs are hard to come by in CA right now. I have family who are engineers in the San Jose area and they say it isn't a good place for entry level people right now.

I think getting an EE does make you special. You have a degree that lets you enter many, many fields, not just engineering. An Econ major can't go into engineering (usually), but an EE can go into econ-related fields. It opens up a lot more doors than other degrees. It sounds like you're really discouraged, but just keep trying... unless you're truly happy where you are right now... then here's a :beer: for you!

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Raytheon in Southern California is definetly hiring. I've heard rumors that my division at Northrup Grumman Space Technology (RF Products Center) is going to start hiring.

Over the summer, I had 40 resumes out, with no responses, then in the course of a week, I had 3 interviews and 2 offers.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Maybe you should try more sprinklings around the country :) There's more than just California. I was under the impression that jobs are hard to come by in CA right now. I have family who are engineers in the San Jose area and they say it isn't a good place for entry level people right now.

I think getting an EE does make you special. You have a degree that lets you enter many, many fields, not just engineering. An Econ major can't go into engineering (usually), but an EE can go into econ-related fields. It opens up a lot more doors than other degrees. It sounds like you're really discouraged, but just keep trying... unless you're truly happy where you are right now... then here's a :beer: for you!

I'm fine with where I am for now. Like I said, I'm learning a lot, like how to hustle people for money over the phone. :D

I do have to justify to others often though why I'm doing this line of work with such a technical degree. I was at a trade show once and I ran across a prof from my department and he sounded so disappointed that I was doing sales. I wanted to say, screw you, I'm working now, pay can be just as promising, I don't have to twist my brain in funny ways anymore to solve stupid equations and I flirt with girls all day in the office. :D

Aug 14, 2001

Sure, I didn't apply anywhere, but my fellow classmates didn't seem to have a very difficult time getting a job. How many applications have you sent out? Are you being very selective about which company or field you're applying to?

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Just because there are few jobs for EE now doesn't mean there won't be more eventually. On the other hand, the women thing is just a constant.