no jobs and no girls in engineering

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time taking grad classes in EE.

I work in distribution/sales now, half of my coworkers are attractive women recent graduates and they're all really friendly. It seriously sucks to go from there to my grad class at night where it's all fobby guys.

LivinLaVivaPollo

Dec 29, 2000
Hehe. I'm going through my CE undergrad right now, and worrying about the lack of work when I graduate in two years. Sigh. Luckily my girlfriend is one of the top math students in the UC system, so I figure she'll make it big and I'll leech off her. :beer:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I'm getting my MSEE and we have girls. Fobby girls.

What area of EE are you in? I've never heard of any of the EEs I know complain about the lack of jobs.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: CheapArse
no jobs in EE eh? im trying to decide between business & EE...

there is a glut of computer programmers. it think the hardware side isn't too bad atm though.

what did you expect with EE grad, the swedish bikini team?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix

there is a glut of computer programmers. it think the hardware side isn't too bad atm though.

I've sent out over 100 resumes and zero responses for engineering positions. Lots for general office jobs though. The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get thinking how I wasted the best years of my life in such a crappy field.

It's not about expectations, but more that you don't realize how sucky it is in engineering until you see how other fields are quite literally filled with women. :p

bleuiko

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
That's cuz u're in the wrong engineering major =) All the girls are in Bioengineering. =)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: OS

I've sent out over 100 resumes and zero responses for engineering positions. Lots for general office jobs though. The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get thinking how I wasted the best years of my life in such a crappy field.

It's not about expectations, but more that you don't realize how sucky it is in engineering until you see how other fields are quite literally filled with women. :p

Your job hunt starts in the professors office your senior year... . Go back and chat with several, tell them what's up, many will give you people to contact. It's a start.

I would get an MA in fine arts, maybe study painting or architectural funiture, BSEE is a terminal degree as far as I'm concerned and the girls are in fine arts plus it's actually fun and interesting instead of rehashing some BS research for your thesis in EE..

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: OS

how are you following up with the resumes , are you even following up?

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
You are learning that now? The dumber the major, the hotter the chicks.

Art History
Psychology
Business, Econ, Accounting
Marketing (I know it's not a major, but go to this dept in any company...HOT)

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Ameesh

how are you following up with the resumes , are you even following up?

There's nothing to really follow up, most companies use web submission these days. There's no phone number to contact. And since only defense is really hiring, I can't just visit these places since they're all high security.

When I do occasionally get a human contact, I ask multiple times for other options, and they just refer me to more electronic submissions systems.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy

Art History
Psychology

i dont like how you characterize my major as dumb but i wont resort to name calling.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

Art History
Psychology

As an econ major who is going into accounting as a career field, I take offense to that comment, sir.

Although I would agree, there are many attractive women in my classes. Gotta love finance.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MeanMeosh
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/512230.html last letter on page... quite relevant to your rant.

I can't imagine why women would want to meet men in those smelly ass computer labs full of unshowered, non-deodorant wearing, geeks who look like they might talk to you in some computer langauge. I'm not saying that bars are any better, but a computer lab is not a place for normal people to hook up.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum

Art History
Psychology

As an econ major who is going into accounting as a career field, I take offense to that comment, sir.

Although I would agree, there are many attractive women in my classes. Gotta love finance.

I'll take offense to that too since my gf is an Art History major. Now, granted I have no clue about everyone else in her classes but she genuinely likes it (and is taking a minor in anthrpology).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Art History
Psychology

you, sir, are an ass

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
I'm getting my MSEE and we have girls. Fobby girls.

What area of EE are you in? I've never heard of any of the EEs I know complain about the lack of jobs.

For the whole time I was a student, I had been pounded the idea that career prospects for EEs were significantly better than other fields. After looking for 6+ months without a single eng interview, I know now this was misleading. So today I did a search on google for "engineer career outlook" and I came across a couple interesting articles;

link 1

"Overall engineering employment is expected to increase more slowly than the average for all occupations. "

link 2

"What is clear is that the EE jobless rate hit 7% in the first quarter of 2003"

What sucks is that I think 7% is actually higher than unemployment for the nation in general.

After reading all that, I kind of realize how massive a brainwashing I had in my undergrad.